Help with final decision

First post.

I'm about to make a final decision on a new system. Current system is 45+ years old. I had many estimates and two contractors stood out above the others.

One has comfortmaker 92% VS (VS90) and 14 SEER w/ r410a (SX 2400).
    The other has ruud 92% 2-stage (UGRK) and 14 SEER w/ r22 (UAPC).

Both did load calcs and are recommending the same sizes. The first is four hundred more than the second. The first also includes a 5 year service plan. I'm leaning slightly to the first, but would be comfortable with either.

Any opinions that might help me choose?

The Comfortmaker furnace is both 2-stage and ECM (variable speed) motor, while the Ruud is only 2-stage with a PSC (not variable speed) motor. If this were my house, I (and I think most others) would prefer the 2-stage and variable speed furnace. Do you know why the other contractor (Ruud) has decided not to quote a R-410a air conditioner? I think the prices may be more comparable if you compare more like products. Best of luck to you.

What Ryan said. Get the Ruud bid to include variable speed and 410A refrigerant.
    Its a good Life!

Hey how's it going? I'm partial to carrier, I personally don't care for ruud. With the Carrier selection you'd be using the new enviromentally friendly refrigerant, R-410A, or Puron. You'll also enjoy more comfort and slight energy saving with the Variable Speed fan motor. When running it roughly uses the same amount of energy as a 75W light bulb. Personally, if you had the extra loot, I would ask about a Dual Fuel System. What this is is a Gas Furnace inside and a heat pump outside. Obviously, the gas furnace uses gas for heat while the heat pump uses electricity. Most of the time with a Dual Fuel system you would be usuing the more energy efficient heat pump and if the temperature dropped below 35-40 degrees the furnace would come on insteat (at that temperature it becomes more efficient for the furnace to run than the heat pump and conversely for temperatures about 40 degrees). Does this make sense? Basically you'd have the ultimate energy effecient system with all souces of heat available. Hope this helps

You can get 410A with any brand. Remember that the contractor is much more important than what brand you choose. Without a good installation it just dosn't matter. Both of the brands you are looking at would be just fine.
    Its a good Life!

Thanks for the feedback...

The Ruud bid was early on before I knew about r410a and variable speed options. I can go back and ask for a new estimate to compare with the Comfortmaker bid. I'm guessing it will be a few hundred higher than the Comfortmaker. Since the price difference isn't big, I'm left to decide which contractor I feel more comfortable with.

I also haven't asked about the heat pump option. With NG prices on the rise, it certainly seems like a smart move.

Any problems/disadvantages with a heat pump in a frigid midwestern winter?

A dual fuel system can be great for some areas, but it's not always the best for some areas depending on climate and rates. Heat pumps today are used throughout the US--they heat efficiently/effectively down to lower temperatures. How cold does it get where you live? Can you disclose your location?

Central Iowa. It was cold this winter.

Ruud's variable speed option is the Modulator, probably the most comfortable furnace you can get. Very reliable too. Due to the special stat, probably will be a bit more $$ than the 2 stage Comfortmaker. Ruud also has R410a outdoor units. And I agree with the dual fuel suggestion.