Thread: pizza crust

Hybrid View

pizza crust

Any good homemade pizza crust receipes out there???????
    Bring back rotary phones so we dont have to press 1 to proceed in ENGLISH!!!!

3 1/2 cups flour
    1 cup warm water (between 95° and 115° F.)
    2 T yeast (2 tablespoons, I like my dough a little yeasty. You can use less)
    2 T honey
    1/4 cup olive oil
    1/2 tsp. salt
    Constantly choosing the lesser of two evils is still choosing evil.
    Jerry Garcia

Whale posted a good crust. Yeast feeds on the sugar, producing more CO2 as a byproduct, resulting in a nice, less dense crust. Since it also flavors the crust slightly, honey is a better choice over white sugar. Also, don't get hung up on the flour. Humid conditions require a bit more. Keep extra close by to add if the dough is too sticky. Knead for a good while until you have a consolidated ball, which, when poked with your finger, reflexes.

Place the dough in a steel bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let proof in a warm place for 30 to 50 minutes until doubled in size. This much crust can make a few smaller pizzas or one large one 14 - 16''.

Let rise a second time for a few minutes when it's spread out on your pizza paddle before adding the sauce/cheese or whatever.

Many a night, during the winter I make pizza at home on my in-pizza stone.

Making my own pizza dough always turned out to be a diaster and a lot of work. We have one a supermarket that carries a line of pizza dough that comes in a plastic bag already for tossing. All you have to do is let it get to room temperature. Cost $1.39 for 20oz. Sometimes it is 'buy one get one free'. It freezes well, too.

Your pizza dough recipe looks great!! Could you make me some and send it to me.???? I am a lazy bastard?

Try www.pizzamaking.com

They have forums about every aspect of the science of pizza pie making. Mostly pro's post on it.

I like the NY style thin crust. I have a recipe at home I like. The type of flour is more important - little to no sugar is used - instant yeasts and cold proofing for 24 - 48 hours.

It can be a lot of fun as a hobby, it's cheap, but it's tough on the waist line. The best pie I do is greek. I use the thin crust with a basil pesto, red onion, kalamari olives, sliced marinated artichokes, sauteed mushrooms and feta for the cheese.

I usually make one like Whale4 does except using sugar. I found it in one of those little cookbooks you find at the checkout. The nice about these recepies is they don't take but maybe 45 min to be ready.
    The best one I've made was from Julia Child's Kitchen book. I was really good but did take awhile to finish as she asked for two risings.

If any of you have people over for dinner something I've done is make the dough, cut up all kinds of stuff, and have everyone create their own pizza.
    Most have no idea how to make a round pizza but that's OK as it will taste fine.
    Tracers work both ways.

Here is a good pizza recipe that i like to use-
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/a...pe4/index.html

I am from Chicago and moved to FL. I miss the Chi-town pizza!!
    I met a local lady(was from Chicago) that ran a pizza shop. I drove the half-hour for her Pizza's. They were excellent. Since the economy crash in SW fl. The biz closed. Now I settle for some Boboli crust and pizza sauce. I add a touch of sugar for that sweet taste.