Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: pizza crust

pizza crust

Any good homemade pizza crust receipes out there???????
    Bring back rotary phones so we dont have to press 1 to proceed in ENGLISH!!!!

3 1/2 cups flour
    1 cup warm water (between 95 and 115 F.)
    2 T yeast (2 tablespoons, I like my dough a little yeasty. You can use less)
    2 T honey
    1/4 cup olive oil
    1/2 tsp. salt
    Constantly choosing the lesser of two evils is still choosing evil.
    Jerry Garcia

Whale posted a good crust. Yeast feeds on the sugar, producing more CO2 as a byproduct, resulting in a nice, less dense crust. Since it also flavors the crust slightly, honey is a better choice over white sugar. Also, don't get hung up on the flour. Humid conditions require a bit more. Keep extra close by to add if the dough is too sticky. Knead for a good while until you have a consolidated ball, which, when poked with your finger, reflexes.

Place the dough in a steel bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let proof in a warm place for 30 to 50 minutes until doubled in size. This much crust can make a few smaller pizzas or one large one 14 - 16''.

Let rise a second time for a few minutes when it's spread out on your pizza paddle before adding the sauce/cheese or whatever.

Many a night, during the winter I make pizza at home on my in-pizza stone.

Making my own pizza dough always turned out to be a diaster and a lot of work. We have one a supermarket that carries a line of pizza dough that comes in a plastic bag already for tossing. All you have to do is let it get to room temperature. Cost $1.39 for 20oz. Sometimes it is 'buy one get one free'. It freezes well, too.

Your pizza dough recipe looks great!! Could you make me some and send it to me.???? I am a lazy bastard?

Try www.pizzamaking.com

They have forums about every aspect of the science of pizza pie making. Mostly pro's post on it.

I like the NY style thin crust. I have a recipe at home I like. The type of flour is more important - little to no sugar is used - instant yeasts and cold proofing for 24 - 48 hours.

It can be a lot of fun as a hobby, it's cheap, but it's tough on the waist line. The best pie I do is greek. I use the thin crust with a basil pesto, red onion, kalamari olives, sliced marinated artichokes, sauteed mushrooms and feta for the cheese.

I usually make one like Whale4 does except using sugar. I found it in one of those little cookbooks you find at the checkout. The nice about these recepies is they don't take but maybe 45 min to be ready.
    The best one I've made was from Julia Child's Kitchen book. I was really good but did take awhile to finish as she asked for two risings.

If any of you have people over for dinner something I've done is make the dough, cut up all kinds of stuff, and have everyone create their own pizza.
    Most have no idea how to make a round pizza but that's OK as it will taste fine.
    Tracers work both ways.

Thats how I usually make it I forgot to tell you to let it rise in a warm place for a hour punch down and repeat if desired. Benn Cool I make it in 20# batchs and freeze a bunch next time Im im Bennington Ill through a few on the van and well meet up. In a pinch I do the same thing buy from a local market for about 1$ a dough. I also have a 50 year old 18x18" stone that came out of a pizza oven from my grandfathers tavern in Jersey and it makes all the difference
    Last edited by Whale4; 03-20-2008 at 06:58 PM. Reason: typo
    Constantly choosing the lesser of two evils is still choosing evil.
    Jerry Garcia

Talking

Thanks i will give em a try!
    Bring back rotary phones so we dont have to press 1 to proceed in ENGLISH!!!!

We have been making the one from Foodnetwork.com by Alton Brown. It is really good, and the pizza stone does make all the difference.

Homemade pizza and homemade Beer, I don't think it can really get any better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Get in there, print it out and you won't be dissapointed.

If you don't have a stone or don't want to pay the price glazed tiles work too. Usually what ever will fit the oven. The glazed are ez to clean.
    Tracers work both ways.

Okay, I have a pizza crust...how about some good sauce recipes?? White and red. Thx!
    The posts and comments made by me are in no way affiliated with any company or organization. They are simply my personal opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by TLTrex View Post
    Okay, I have a pizza crust...how about some good sauce recipes?? White and red. Thx!
    Ah yes, the sauce!!! Homemade pizza crust is a great start to a great pizza, but the sauce can really make the pizza.

32 oz can of crushed tomatoes
    red onion, diced small (you can make this without onion if you like)
    garlic, minced (NEVER use garlic powder, garlic salt, or any other garlic-type product in a spice container ... get the real thing!!!)
    basil
    oregano
    extra virgin olive oil
    salt & pepper to taste

Simple is best.

Heat some olive oil in a pan and add onion. Cook until translucent. Season w/ salt & pepper while cooking. Add garlic. Just before garlic turns brown (you don't want that to happen) add the tomatoes. Stir it well to incorporate the onion and garlic with the tomatoes. Drizzle in more olive oil while stirring. Cook over low heat (the longer it cooks, the better it'll be). Add basil and oregano. Voila!

-Pete

This is my catch all red sauce use it for pasta like lasagna or homemade ravioli
    even use it as a pizza sauce. This makes a lot so i usually freeze a bunch in smaller containers.

Brown 2 lbs of ground beef
    with several links of Sasizza
    1 onion

drain grease and put into pot.

4 large cans of Tomato sauce 15 oz
    4 large cans of Tomato paste 12oz
    1 large cans mushroom steams and pieces
    1 tsp Italian seasoning
    2 tsp Garlic salt or 1 clove of garlic
    1 tablespoon sweet basil
    1 1/2 tsp celery salt
    4 bay leaves
    2 tsp sugar
    6 15 oz cans of water

mix well cook till the sauce starts poppin
    let pot simmer for 1 to 6 hours occasionally stirring
    (the longer it simmers the better it gets)

I sometimes add rib tips to the sauce too.

Also the cooked Sasizza links make a great pizza topping when your done or a good sandwich with mozzerella and provel cheese.

Also for a thicker sauce less water.
    Last edited by matticus; 04-26-2008 at 03:35 PM. Reason: I forgot something

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast