Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Heat Pump Replacement in Central Florida

Hello to everyone. It looks like there is a lot of practical experience here, and I hope that you can give me some helpful advice.

My 15 year old, 4-Ton Trane HE1000 heat pump has died – it may or may not repairable, but, my wife tells me that we have agreed to replace the old unit with a new one . (Seriously, I was planning on a replacement this year, anyway.) I live in Central Florida, and have a single story house with about 2500 sq. ft. air-conditioned floor area. I have no current plans to move, and will probably be in the house another 8-10 years.

My first thought is to go with another Trane heat pump, since the old one was trouble free until the last year or two. I am also interested in a substantial improvement in efficiency, so, based on the Trane website, I started checking out the XL15i, XL16i and XL19i, with matched variable speed air handlers.

I contacted three reputable local contractors who carry Trane. Each of the three stands by Trane, but one of the three contractors suggests Lennox (XP19) as an alternate. Two of the three suggest Carrier (Infinity 16) as an alternate. I don’t have formal proposals yet, but, based on verbal estimates for (apparently) comparable scope, the prices for all of these units will fall within just a few hundred dollars of each other, due to differences in current mfr incentives.

My first question is this - I believe that all three of these are reputable brands. However, I am sure that each of the suggested systems has its strengths and weaknesses, relative to the others, and I would appreciate any constructive comments that you care to offer.

And my second question – Will the price for these highest efficiency units show up, not just in the original installed cost, but also in higher maintenance and/or hassle down the road? Do you think I might be better off with a less expensive, simpler, lower SEER unit like the Trane XL14i?

Thanks!

Thumbs up

I'm glad you have made the choice for a replacement thats a great move, most people try to band-aid the unit & end up spending more than what it is worth. Trane to me is a greta unit, they make a great product, even though I have not sold Trane,unless by a customers special request,I do recommend it.
    The reason I don't sell it as much is because I like to show customers American Standard which is build by THE TRANE COMPANY and is more affordable. Its kinda like buying a Yukon Denali vs a Chevy Tahoe LTZ same frame,power, features, build by the same company (GM) the only diffrence is in the higher $5K sticker on the Denali. The same with Carrier, I was a authorized dealer for Carrier many years,however I switched to BRYANT because the equipment is more affordable and just as good if not the same!
    Carrier has the INFINITY SYSTEM, Bryant has the EVOLUTION SYSTEM both are the same, the EVO. is one of the most advanced units in the market right now.The unit as a whole is in constant communication with its self, you set the temp and relative humidity you desire and sit back and relax.The system is truly amazing I've been in homes with the evo. unit where the home is 80F and its so nice, because it removes the humidity so effective. Well, thats my vote you can read more about it below is the site, don't forget to ask about the ten year parts and labor warranty no worries for ten years
    As far as for Lennox (residential)I'm sorry but I don't like the brand have had bad customer feed back from them, also have had bad personal experience with there technical support out on the field. Remember in florida if you have Progress Enery as a electrical provider there is a simple flate rate for rebates, if you have FPL they have a rebate based on Eff. or SEER (seasonal energy efficency ratio). I hope this helps some. BEST OF LUCK THE DOC

If you would like for me to recommend a contractor in your area just let me know where about you located .

http://www.bryant.com/systems/evolution.shtml
    WARNING:IF YOU DON'T KNOW THEN DON'T DO, SO THOSE WHO KNOW WHAT YOU DIDN'T KNOW DON'T END UP UNDOING WHAT YOU DID SO IT COULD GET DONE RIGHT!

Quote Originally Posted by AcDOCnTRAINIG View Post
    ... even though I have not sold Trane,unless by a customers special request, I do recommend it....The same with Carrier, ....
    Thanks for your feedback. As I said, I've had good luck with my old Trane unit. As for Carrier, I think I remember some bad things, but a very long time ago. At this time, people seem to speak highly of them.
    ... don't forget to ask about the ten year parts and labor warranty no worries for ten years
    As far as for Lennox (residential)I'm sorry but I don't like the brand have had bad customer feed back from them, also have had bad personal experience with there technical support ....
    I definitely want to get the 10 year warranty!
    I'm sorry to hear of the bad report on the Lennox, because that unit sounded pretty good on the surface. And, on further review, the price I was (verbally!) quoted apparently included a full 10 year parts AND LABOR warranty. Since this XP19 system was midrange of the price figures I was given, all other things being roughly equal, the price is awfully tempting....

... If you would like for me to recommend a contractor in your area just let me know where about you located.
    Thanks - I live NE of Orlando in the Sanford/Oviedo/Longwood area.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    The Carrier/Bryant has a lower capacity in first stage,so run times will be longer,and indoor humidty will be lower than you have seen,particulary in the mild weather.No more sticky sheets!

Several other unique features,but the humidity control in Florida should be enough.

We are in Florida,and can tell you that the difference between Carrier and Bryant is likely do to the dealer not the equipment here,as it's the same distributer.

Have you considered zoning,for comfort or rooms that are seldom used,to save electric cost.

Quote Originally Posted by dash View Post
    The Carrier/Bryant has a lower capacity in first stage,so run times will be longer,and indoor humidty will be lower than you have seen,particulary in the mild weather.No more sticky sheets!

Several other unique features,but the humidity control in Florida should be enough ....
    Thanks for mentioning the humidity control. I gather, from some other threads, that the longer run time is due to the staging of the reciprocating compressor in the Infinity 16, as opposed to the scroll compressors in the Trane XL16i and Lennox XP19 - is that right?

Humidity control is certainly very important here, so I will need to make that an important factor in my selection!

Quote Originally Posted by dash View Post
    Have you considered zoning,for comfort or rooms that are seldom used,to save electric cost.
    I had not really thought about zoning. Honestly, I really don't know much about it, or how it would apply to my house. I can say this - the floor plan is very open, so I can only shut off individual bedrooms. Also, my wife and I are kind of inefficient in our use of ALL available nooks and crannies in the house, and there really isn't any place that is seldom used. Is it possible that zoning could make sense in my house, with this in mind?

You know what they say about opinions...I'm partial to Carrier. If you can afford it go with the Infinity series (25ANA1.. Outdoor Unit and a FE4ANF... Air Handler) With this system you get a 2 Speed Compressor outside (2 speeds equates to less energy comsumption) that utilizes the new "enviromentally safe" r-410A (Carrier calls this puron) refrigerant. If you go with the new refrigerant make sure your contractor at least flushes your refrigerant lines (probably no cost) or change your refrigerant lines (usually called a lineset) This they will probably want to charge for. Inside you would have the latest in fan technology, the ECM or variable speed indoor blower motor. Not only is this motor significantly quieter than a "normal" fan motor, but it helps to achieve a higher SEER rating, which equates to lower energy bills. SEER is like MPG for cars. With the Infinity system you can enable what is called Superdehumidification. In the summer in Florida it is HOT and HUMID. This system will basically overcool your house by 3 degrees to really wring the moisture out of the air allowing you to ultimately be comfortable at a higher thermostat set point. Finally, theres NO other thermostat like the Infinity Control. To be blunt and crude, its truly bada$$. This isn't a law but from what I've been told every numberical jump in SEER rating equates to about a 10% saving in energy. So if you can afford to shell out the extra dough for the Infinity system I'd recommend you do it. Hope that helps.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Quote Originally Posted by sdgrease View Post
    Thanks for mentioning the humidity control. I gather, from some other threads, that the longer run time is due to the staging of the reciprocating compressor in the Infinity 16, as opposed to the scroll compressors in the Trane XL16i and Lennox XP19 - is that right?

Humidity control is certainly very important here, so I will need to make that an important factor in my selection!

I had not really thought about zoning. Honestly, I really don't know much about it, or how it would apply to my house. I can say this - the floor plan is very open, so I can only shut off individual bedrooms. Also, my wife and I are kind of inefficient in our use of ALL available nooks and crannies in the house, and there really isn't any place that is seldom used. Is it possible that zoning could make sense in my house, with this in mind?
    Carrier has the same Copeland two stage as Lennox and Trae available,but the low stage is higher capacity,so less dehumidification.

Quote Originally Posted by sdgrease View Post
    Thanks for your feedback. As I said, I've had good luck with my old Trane unit. As for Carrier, I think I remember some bad things, but a very long time ago. At this time, people seem to speak highly of them.

I definitely want to get the 10 year warranty!
    I'm sorry to hear of the bad report on the Lennox, because that unit sounded pretty good on the surface. And, on further review, the price I was (verbally!) quoted apparently included a full 10 year parts AND LABOR warranty. Since this XP19 system was midrange of the price figures I was given, all other things being roughly equal, the price is awfully tempting....

Thanks - I live NE of Orlando in the Sanford/Oviedo/Longwood area.
    ACE AIR,INC (407) 539-0434 these guys are top of the line, ask to speak with JOE(he's a X-field tech plenty of knowledge & ARI cert.) can set an app. to come out NO CHARGE give you an estimate, please let him know that Ralph w/ AAA Air sent you. Good Luck :http://www.aceac.com/company_information.html
    WARNING:IF YOU DON'T KNOW THEN DON'T DO, SO THOSE WHO KNOW WHAT YOU DIDN'T KNOW DON'T END UP UNDOING WHAT YOU DID SO IT COULD GET DONE RIGHT!

trane

The customer states hes been trouble free for 15 years with his trane unit If you were happy for the past 15 years with the old system , Dont be taking in by all the hub-bub about buying all the extra - high end stuff that will work better than your old one . If you can afford to buy the higher end , Sure than go for it . But dont worry about one system doing a better job than the other because it has a special way of doing it . Look at the seer ratings for the specs and decide on the payback vs the extaa cost of the upgrade . Good luck
    My avatar is a picture of a Goodman Silencer .....These were commonly used in Goodman country ....Photos by hvac tech ( PaysonHVAC )

Trane Xl16 Best Choice

We Sell Carrier, Trane And Lennox Products Here In Tampa. The Trane Xli16 Is You Best Bet Hands Down. That Is What I Put In My Home Write Back If You Need More Help

Quote Originally Posted by mannyparad View Post
    We Sell Carrier, Trane And Lennox Products Here In Tampa. The Trane Xli16 Is You Best Bet Hands Down. That Is What I Put In My Home Write Back If You Need More Help
    What is it about the XL16i that you think makes this the best choice? I am shying away from the XL19i for two reasons - (i) R-22, and (ii) the dual compressor set up seems to just add to the number of parts that can break.
    Last edited by sdgrease; 03-20-2008 at 09:06 AM. Reason: typo + add more thoughts

sdgrease

The minimum performance metrics for a new heat pump system that I would look for is R-410 frig, matching var speed air handler, 15 SEER, 12 EER, 9 HSPF, full BTUs for the size in both cooling and heating mode,scroll compressor.

My choices of brands would be Trane/AmStd and Carrier/Bryant. You will get a little more comfort and operating efficiency with two stg heat pump systems but of course that comes with a price.

IMO

Quote Originally Posted by tigerdunes View Post
    sdgrease

The minimum performance metrics for a new heat pump system that I would look for is R-410 frig, matching var speed air handler, 15 SEER, 12 EER, 9 HSPF, full BTUs for the size in both cooling and heating mode,scroll compressor.

My choices of brands would be Trane/AmStd and Carrier/Bryant. You will get a little more comfort and operating efficiency with two stg heat pump systems but of course that comes with a price.

IMO
    I had no idea how to find EER, until I noticed references on this site to the ARI Directory. I googled ARI and found: ARI Directory of Certified Product Perfomance. Hooray!
    The interesting thing is that, of the models that I looked at:
    • the Trane XL16i seems only to get to a max of 11.5EER with any of the combinations that I looked at.
    • The Lennox XP19 makes 12.3+ EER with all combinations that I looked at, but several of them have HSPF down in the 7-8 range.
    • With Carrier, the Infinity 16 shows EER in the high 11 range, and I seem to need the Infinity 19 to make EER over 12.

Can I get to EER 12+ with a single stage system?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast