Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question flex duct last 1-2 feet?

I am using sheet metal for the new runs into each room.

Should I use flex duct in the last 1' - 1.5' that attaches to the registers?
    Hart & Cooley Rezzin registers

Couple of reasons the company gave:
    1) Easier for them to put in because my roof sloops down and the attic space is small.
    2) If I wanted to paint these clip on so I would be able to take them off for painting. With hard pipe attached, I would not be able to take them off.
    3) If I wanted to get the ductwork cleaned in the future, it would be easier to take off.
    Thanks,
    Jake

Nothing wrong with it.
    Its done a lot incommercial.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

It makes the system quieter.
    Karst means cave. So, I search for caves.

[QUOTE=Jake1980;1800041]I am using sheet metal for the new runs into each room.

So are you installing this yourself? After looking at your other posts and all the questions its seems you have beat the system and got several answers.

If you really are not doing it yourself it would seem you have little trust in who you chose and many of these questions should have been asked before you hired them.

In my area all attic duct needs to be insulated
    so it is cheaper to install flex duct then it is to install hard pipe and pay the labor to insulate it

I mean Im just saying........
    I remember my first day,It was fun!

[QUOTE=trane;1800266]
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake1980 View Post
    I am using sheet metal for the new runs into each room.

So are you installing this yourself? After looking at your other posts and all the questions its seems you have beat the system and got several answers.

If you really are not doing it yourself it would seem you have little trust in who you chose and many of these questions should have been asked before you hired them.
    I am not doing it myself. and had asked all the questions before I choose the company. This is an either or option they are giving me and am just looking for consensus...that's all and what is preferable. Running all hard pipe is more expensive, but from my research and input from many people here, it is healthier and longer life than flex duct.

All I was asking if it makes sense to do that last FOOT in flex duct for ease of changing out registers to either change them or paint around them.
    I hope this is the only time I have to purchase an HVAC unit with ALL the ductwork too.
    Thanks,
    Judy and Jake

Judy,
    If it where my house and I was goingto be their a while I would spare no expense go hard pipe and insulate the entire lenght
    if you think you may be out in a few years the flex it

As far as easy to paint my celing registers are very easy to remove 2 screws and they fall right out
    problem is if the flex is not anchord down correctly then when it comes time to reinstall the registers the flex tends to flop around in the attic and make it very hard to get the register back in the boot
    I have had to climb up in the attic and place board on the boot to hold in plce so I could go back and put the register in
    I remember my first day,It was fun!

Quote Originally Posted by scottsacavsfan View Post
    Judy,
    If it where my house and I was goingto be their a while I would spare no expense go hard pipe and insulate the entire lenght

As far as easy to paint my celing registers are very easy to remove 2 screws and they fall right out
    problem is if the flex is not anchord down correctly then when it comes time to reinstall the registers the flex tends to flop around in the attic and make it very hard to get the register back in the boot
    I have had to climb up in the attic and place board on the boot to hold in plce so I could go back and put the register in
    These are the plastic kind that clip on to the drywall, there is no screws

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    [QUOTE=Jake1980;1800327]
    Quote Originally Posted by trane View Post

I am not doing it myself. and had asked all the questions before I choose the company. This is an either or option they are giving me and am just looking for consensus...that's all and what is preferable. Running all hard pipe is more expensive, but from my research and input from many people here, it is healthier and longer life than flex duct.

All I was asking if it makes sense to do that last FOOT in flex duct for ease of changing out registers to either change them or paint around them.
    I hope this is the only time I have to purchase an HVAC unit with ALL the ductwork too.
    Thanks,
    Judy and Jake
    I've seen the product,and per your description,it makes sense,not all that popular yet.

But it begs the question,if 2 feet of flex is okay,whats wrong with more.BTW we have installed flex systems that are over 30 years old,no issues.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Quote Originally Posted by scottsacavsfan View Post
    Judy,

On a existing home it's common to attach the grille to the boot/box while someone is holding it in the attic,on a difficut location,if you take it down to paint the ceiling or grille,there's nobody up there to hold it.

Are you familar with this product??

why not run all flex? will the flex not hold up over time?

Some companies/people just prefer sheet metal.

There are 30+ year old flex runs in houses in my area.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

The Grills he is refering to are AIR TEC they have an adjustabile ring you snap off to the size you need 6,7,8, flex the finish grill is built in one piece all plastic , I have tried to use them in a few homes to compete customers hated the look ,they look like home depot chepo grills. They are cheap looking but they also sell just the ceiling box that is black hard plastic with the strapping spacer built in nice but we use them with the hart and cooley aluminum 4 way blow grills much more professional look. That way you can hard pipe all the way

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast