another water heater question

Can you use a water heater for heat. Is that legal? Some one ask me that and I'm not sure how to answer that one.

Check your codes.... is the appliance required to be rated ASME, as a boiler? As always, you AHJ can advise you. A standard water heater is a poor choice design & efficiency wise anyways. Oh ya.. it's cheap tho.

I have seen it done a couple of times, BUT, seems kinda silly to use a water heater just to save a couple buck$ on installation. The life expectancy of the water heater might actually become MUCH shorter due to extended use at higher temps. Water heaters are not designed to heat homes... that's why nice cast iron boilers are available.

Quote Originally Posted by snookered View Post
    I have seen it done a couple of times, BUT, seems kinda silly to use a water heater just to save a couple buck$ on installation. The life expectancy of the water heater might actually become MUCH shorter due to extended use at higher temps. Water heaters are not designed to heat homes... that's why nice cast iron boilers are available.
    Cast iron? I have to say I like the Energy Kinetics System 2000 boiler design. Lighter, tougher, and more efficient design.

Here's another.....

A lack of planning on your part does not constitute a state of emergency on my part.

I've seen it used with a fan coil but not quite sure what they did for cooling.