+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Job market in St.louis

Post Likes

Angry Job market in St.louis

The job market sucks so bad around here I can't even find a minimum wage job. Also when people look at how much that I made at other jobs in the past they won't even consider me.

I applied for a entry level hotel maintenance job, got a call, they said they were interested in me and wanted to set up an interview and they would get back to me in a day or two. A couple of days later, when I didn't get that call, I called back and asked about it. She said that I was overqualified.

What?!! I couldn't believe it. Since I had never done this type of work I asked her how could I be overqualified? After beating around the bush she asked me how much I had made at my last job. When I told her she said that I had made to much. That is why I am overqualified.

What the hell does the wages at a previous job have to do with being overqualified?

Just because a person made a certian amount before, doesn't mean that they wouldn't take a job making less. Especially when you are out of work and wanting to learn a new trade.

Is there any way to get around this or should I just start lying to people?

Any suggestions anybody?

Post Likes
    My wife went to school in St. Louis at Washington University. I went with her a year ago to a reunion. While touring the campus there I noticed a job posting for maintenance jobs, everything from hvac to plumbing and electricians and the pay was pretty nice. If you get a chance I think you can look online at their job postings. Hope this helps. You can also check out the hospitals and St. louis univ.

Post Likes
    You could checkout my co. I don't know if they are hiring right now. It does require a lot of travel. It's all Commercial. It's not the greatest but it's a job. They relocated me to Joplin, Mo., but that doesn't mean you will have to relocate.

http://www.allclimateservices.com/index.html
    We're awl pawthetic and kweepy and can't get giwrls. That's why we fight wobots.

Post Likes
    hmmmmmm

38 hvac jobs in paper.

stltoday.com click on jobs tab

Post Likes
    I have to jump in here - try our site, www.mepjobs.com.

enter St. Louis in the keyword search box, select Missouri in the state drop down, and then search. When I checked this morning there were 14 results - some of them might be interesting to you.

Thanks,
    Jeff
    MEP Jobs

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by idontgetit View Post
    hmmmmmm

38 hvac jobs in paper.

stltoday.com click on jobs tab

Yes there are 38 jobs advertised in the paper but most of them require experience which I don't have. Either that or they are just too far away.

I guess you didn't read most post the whole way though. I'm looking for an "entry level job".

I have applied at just about all the jobs that require very little experience and I have yet to hear back from them.

Also, I do realize that an entry level job is not going to pay a whole lot. This is understandable, but I can't justify driving 30 to 40 miles for a job that is going to pay 10 bucks an hour. This is especially true when you consider the price of gas.

Post Likes
    Vatterott usually has career fairs. Check into it.
    We're awl pawthetic and kweepy and can't get giwrls. That's why we fight wobots.

Post Likes
    Joe cool I'am getting ready to start at the met center in st.louis for hvac and what your saying is not good news at all.Maybe I should rethink this field.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Cool View Post
    Yes there are 38 jobs advertised in the paper but most of them require experience which I don't have. Either that or they are just too far away.

I guess you didn't read most post the whole way though. I'm looking for an "entry level job".

I have applied at just about all the jobs that require very little experience and I have yet to hear back from them.

Also, I do realize that an entry level job is not going to pay a whole lot. This is understandable, but I can't justify driving 30 to 40 miles for a job that is going to pay 10 bucks an hour. This is especially true when you consider the price of gas.
    I read your whole post.

You did not mention any schooling, do you have any?

If not, you are likely SOL in the metro area, there are at least 500 folks graduating from school in HVAC in the metro area.

If you do have school, get by the supply houses in the area and talk to the counter guys, they know about a lot of the word of mouth jobs.

Post Likes
    Just explored your previous postings.

DUI's are a real killer around this area, more or less a 6 to 10k a year adder to the companies insurance. Yours being so far back it may not be a problem, usally it is 5 or ten years depending upon company.

The felony can prevent you from working a lot of places so you need to pick and choose wisely.

Grand Oaks is a company that hires a ton of folks, even fresh out of school no experience /while in school. Has to hire a lot of folks cause one can only assume it ain't the greatest place to work.

I am curious about "met center in st.louis for hvac" as I have never heard of them and I am fairly in tune with the metro market.

Post Likes
    Just explored your previous postings.

DUI's are a real killer around this area, more or less a 6 to 10k a year adder to the companies insurance. Yours being so far back it may not be a problem, usally it is 5 or ten years depending upon company.

The felony can prevent you from working a lot of places so you need to pick and choose wisely.

Grand Oaks is a company that hires a ton of folks, even fresh out of school no experience /while in school. Has to hire a lot of folks cause one can only assume it ain't the greatest place to work.

I am curious about "met center in st.louis for hvac" as I have never heard of them and I am fairly in tune with the metro market.
    Who said anything about a DUI? I haven't even had a speeding ticket in over 10 years. Also, as far as my criminal record is concerned, it is spotless too.

Not that any of the employers that I have applied to would know. Since not one of them have even bothered to call me, I'm sure they aren't going to check out my background.

And yes I do have a certification in HVAC and my EPA universal certification. Not that it is worth the paper it is printed on.

I don't know who's previous postings you just explored was, but it wasn't mine.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Cool View Post
    Who said anything about a DUI? I haven't even had a speeding ticket in over 10 years. Also, as far as my criminal record is concerned, it is spotless too.

Not that any of the employers that I have applied to would know. Since not one of them have even bothered to call me, I'm sure they aren't going to check out my background.

And yes I do have a certification in HVAC and my EPA universal certification. Not that it is worth the paper it is printed on.

I don't know who's previous postings you just explored was, but it wasn't mine.

Relax dude, the first post was to you the second was to the guy just above you who mentioned met center in st louis who has another thread about felony dui convictions, ron1961

Post Likes
    Relax dude, the first post was to you the second was to the guy just above you who mentioned met center in st louis who has another thread about felony dui convictions, ron1961
    Idontgetit thanks for the info,the met center is through north county tech in Wellston.I'm a little worried about going there to begin with and with all the bad news I'm hearing I'm thinking this might not be a good idea.Joecool I didn't mean to steal your thread I just seen St.Louis and how hard of time you were having.

Post Likes
    have you tried the union halls?
    FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE!!

Post Likes
    There may be a job opening where I use to work. It would start you out at $12.00 hour but you would gain a whole lot of experience. The only problem I for see is that they told my boss he couldn't hire anyone to replace me till after April 15th.

If your interested its a rehab facility off HWY 40 called the Cedars at the JCA. between Mason and Mary ville Center drive. Plus you can make some very valuable contractor contacts that may help you get a better job in the future.

Best of luck looking in St. Louis. I must of went on 18 interviews to find a job. Not to mention all the resumes I sent out.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in