Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hmm Is it Time to replace my furnace?

I have a Carrier Weathermaker SXi gas furnance, 17 years old. It is currently working, but we noticed a few months ago error code 44. A call to our service provider resulted in their recco to think about buying a new furnance due to expense of repair, and lack of availability of parts. It continued to work OK thru the winter in Cincinnati, OH. A few times it seemed to lock out and needed to be reset to start again. But then kept working.
    Now that it's Spring, should we just fahgetaboutit and hope for the best this winter (and risk an "emergency" replacement) - or should we shop around to find a good deal and get it replaced Now when heat is not as important. (And if so, any reccos on what we should look at?)
    Thanks for your help, advice.

You replace a car BEFORE it dies and leaves you on the side of the road, right?
    Ephesians 2:8,9

its easier to make an informed choice when your warm, then when your freezing in the middle of winter, on DEC 21st.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Smile

One other thing to consider: Carrier variable speed furnace parts are outrageously expensive!!! At least would be wise to get a couple bids and make some decisions before "your freezing in the middle of winter, on DEC 21st. " even if you don't buy immediately"

When you go shopping for a car, you typically pick the car you want, and then the dealer based on price.

When shopping for a new furnace do it the other way around. Take some time to find a really good dealer that you are comfortable with first, then go with the equipment they recommend.

new furnace

get rid of it

new system

I was in the same situation a few months ago . By replacing my heating/ cooling system without facing an emergency, i believe i saved 25%+ of the new system's cost. if i had waited to the system to fail, i would most likely faced a higher cost install--middle of summer or winter with no time to shop for the best cost. I was able to find a good contractor who was willing to cut me a deal during the off season.

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    One other thing to consider: Carrier variable speed furnace parts are outrageously expensive!!! At least would be wise to get a couple bids and make some decisions before "your freezing in the middle of winter, on DEC 21st. " even if you don't buy immediately"
    Thank you. You're the only person besides myself that I have seen mention the high price of Carrier parts, for newer and older furnaces. As for the question, I would replace. Get quotes from some trustworthy contractors, maybe button up the house a bit if it needs it. You'll be much more comfortable next winter. Don't wait till then.

if your area is as dead as mine is, get prices now before business picks up

17yrs old, that furnace has been running on barrowed time. better to replace on your time, than when it breaks while you have a house full of guests!! (that would be the norm)
    If Guns Kill People, Do Pencils Misspell Words?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An2a1...eature=related

Before we work on artificial intelligence why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

Not so sure 17 yr old furnace is on last legs. Mine lasted for 22+ years, and was replaced while it was still operating. What is the useful life of a gas furnace?

20 years is about average.

His may, or may not be on its last legs.
    Of course, finding out in the middle of the night that it was, is a bite. And doesn't always allow for making a good decision on who to use to replace it.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

I would say at 17years you are at the tipping point. At this time nothing on your furnace is under warranty except maybe the heat exchanger and thats a part only warranty. So if anything breaks you are paying out of pocket to keep an old system running.

Plus, right now is the perfect time to shop for a new furnace. The weather is mild and your local dealers might be running end of season specials. Plus since your current one is still working you have the luxury of shopping around.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast