Thread: Load Calc York Affinity vs. Bryant/Carrier

Post Likes

Load Calc York Affinity vs. Bryant/Carrier

I would have preferred the Rheem modulating furnace, but based on the QUALITY of the local installers, I’ll be going with either the York Affinity modulating or the Bryant/Carrier Evolution/Infinity 3 stage.

I live in a 2-story 2500 SF house with a 1250 SF basement in South-western, Ontario, built in 1984.

Total Heating BTU/h is 53,000
    Total Cooling BTU/h is 37,000

Pricing is all very similar, I would like to make a choice based on comfort, proper sizing, and quality. I’d be interested in your thoughts as to:

a) Which unit you would prefer in your home, the York or Bryant/Carrier?
    b) Would you choose the 60,000 BTU or the 80,000 BTU model?
    c) Would you choose a 2 stage 3 ton 17-18 SEER A/C, or a 2.5 ton 15 SEER A/C ?

Thanks for all your help, I’ve been reading your posts for months and your posts have already helped take a lot of guesswork out of a big investment!!

Post Likes
    Personally I'd go the 3 stage with Infinity control because I want my furnace to do what the house needs, not what the board thinks it needs. I'd go the 60K model. For cooling, unless $$ isn't an issue, high SEER 2 stage doesn't seem to make sense in Canada. If the load is 37K, I sure wouldn't put in a 2.5 ton anything.

Post Likes
    I'd go with the York. The board will learn the house.
    Unless you need a 4 ton drive the York 60,000 will be fine.
    If you need a 4 ton drive, then in the York line you need to get the 80,000 BTU furnace.
    At a 37,000 BTU cooling load, neither a 2.5 or 3 ton will handle it. Is that total cooling load, or sensible load?
    York 15 SEER Affinity is 2 stage.

Post Likes
    Yes that is the Total cooling load. Sensible cooling is 28,500 Btuh.

Is that the number I should be looking at?

Also, how will I know if I need a 4 ton drive for the furnace? I don't think I've looked or asked questions about that aspect.

Post Likes
    Room by room load calc will tell you the CFM each room needs. If it were to total to more then 1200 CFM, you would need a 4 ton drive.
    3.5 ton with a Carrrier.

The Affinity CMB03611 can meet your sensible at 95OD 75 ID temp, but thats at 1400 CFM, meaning you would need a 4 ton drive in the York line.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by allsmiles View Post
    I would have preferred the Rheem modulating furnace, but based on the QUALITY of the local installers, I’ll be going with either the York Affinity modulating or the Bryant/Carrier Evolution/Infinity 3 stage.

I live in a 2-story 2500 SF house with a 1250 SF basement in South-western, Ontario, built in 1984.

Total Heating BTU/h is 53,000
    Total Cooling BTU/h is 37,000
    You must have one super-insulated house. I'm in NJ across the river from Philadelphia. My house is 2 story, 2500 sq ft. built in '88, w/ 1100 sq ft underground basement, and great windows. Heat loss, is just under 60,000; heat gain, surprisingly, is 30,000+. What are your winter/summer design temps and indoor thermostat settings?

I too, would love to get a Rheem Mod. Haven't found the right contractor.

AM

Post Likes
    I'll have to check to see where the CFM's are listed in my report - I've been so focused on sizing the BTU's I didn't even think of CFMs.

Winter design temps: Indoor 72F, Outdoor -2F
    Summer design temps: Inddor 75F, Outdoor 86F

I was suprised too at how tight teh house was, but I also had an eco-energy audit performed and they came up with similar numbers.

So far 1 vote York, 1 vote Carrier. I think these systems are very close. If I do need more than 1200 CFMs, then if the 60,000 Carrier is a 3.5 ton I may go that route. Otherwise, I think the 80,000 York may give me the same comfort level, but be more efficient.

Post Likes
    Thanks for the comments, I think I'll go with the York. The dealer is closer and the overall warranty is better (and I like the 1% modulating too!). I'll firm up a contract Monday.

I think I'll choose the Honeywell VisionPro Thermostat. Does anyone know if I need the IAQ to control an HRV, or will the 8000 model be able to control it? If the IAQ can be added later, that would be great, as I would like to add additional components as my budget, and family, expand.

Fairfield and NewHaven Counties in Commecticut
    Post Likes
    I think you will love the york. Are you going 2 stage on the cooling? I would lean towards the 80K if you setback much of it will talk a long time to warm the home on design days. The heat loss needs to have some extra room, but no one knows better than the local contractor. here in Ct (my area)the homes are built very poorly and leak badly when windy. If you size really close on a windy cold day you may have issues.
    Quality and Value Service and Repair

Post Likes
    Yes, I’ll be getting the York 80,000 BTU Affinity with the 8T series A/C, but he gave me 2 options on this size:

PC9B12 furnace with the CZE036 A/C

or

PC9C16 furnace with the CZE038 A/C

I like the smaller physical size of the PC9B12, but installer doesn’t think he can package it with the CZE038 (which is the better efficiency a/c unit). He’s checking and will get back to me Monday.

Will probably upgrade to the Honeywell IAQ, so I can also control the HRV. I don’t think Honeywell can do that without the IAQ. Hopefully it all works out – you guys have been great!!

Post Likes
    Good choice.
    The IAQ can also control a humidifier if you decide to add on later.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    Personally I'd go the 3 stage with Infinity control because I want my furnace to do what the house needs, not what the board thinks it needs.
    that's an interesting point that I haven't thought of before. I'm currently facing a similar decision as allsmiles. Can the modulating board make use of a 2 or 3 stage thermostat to better "learn" the house, or can it only work with a single stage stat?

Post Likes
    The York mod, can't accept heating control singles from more then one stage of heat call.
    The board does all the ramp up calcs from previous run times and modulations.

Post Likes
    Excellent, thanks for the quick reply.

this is a great forum BTW.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in