Seeking advice: 1500 SF Townhome; Old Wesco

Seeking advice: 1500 SF Townhome; Old Wesco

I own a two story, 1500-1600 SF townhome in Shoreline, North of Seattle. The original furnace is a downflow electric Wesco installed in a main (bottom) floor closet. I've been told that the Wesco used to be installed in mobile homes. The townhome has been remodeled and fronts a 30 x 30 garden that is a focal point for the house. I would like to replace the Wesco with a heat pump system, however the spouse has nixed putting a large "box" in the garden.

I've researched the following three options and am interested in professional (or educated) opinions about each. Or, alternatively, more options.

Option 1: Put a small heat pump on the roof of the building, which is flat. Is this feasible? If so what are the typical limitations (weight, type, etc...) for installing a heat pump on a flat roof? I'm not exactly sure of the roof material - a tar of some type, I suppose.

Option 2: Install a vertical packaged air source heat pump, such a GE Zoneline. I have an area very near the existing furnace which fronts an exterior wall that could accommodate the unit (cutouts, etc). Trouble is nobody that I have researched (Friedrich, Skymark, Adirondack, etc...) makes a downflow packaged unit. Knowing that, would it be possible or prudent to field adapt an upflow version of one of these units to function in a downflow system. Before you laugh your xxx off, understand that I'm trying to find a balance between cost and performance, not achieve engineering or design greatness.

Option 3: Install a through-the-wall heat pump (I've only found two, made by First Company and National Comfort Products) in an upstairs closet and route it to a new downdraft air handler where the existing furnace resides. My concern about the through-the-wall unit is that it appears to be old, replacement technology. What are your opinions of this option?

I can't imagine I would need anything bigger than a 2 ton system. There are a total of 8 registers in the house.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Do you have any other options beside electric heat/heat pump? I.E. natural gas, propane, oil, Etc...

The only reason I ask is because in my area of the country, Rochester NY, electricity is one of the more expensive ways to heat a home... 14 cents a Kilowatt Hour.

Typical electric furnace around here is 60amps.
    60a*240v=14400w or 14.4KW.

If the furnace only runs for 1000 hours per season, the bill would still be $2,016!!
    Of course a heat pump helps cut down the utility cost.

Hey Snookered...Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately we're stuck with electricity where we live.

AHhhh... oh well. Just checking. I'm sure more help is to follow...
    Good Luck!!

Should have an engineer approve the OD unit being installed on the roof.

A lot of OD units are installed on roofs.
    I would forget the thru the wall units for a house.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?