Thread: Outdoor Thermistor E3 Error

Post Likes

Outdoor Thermistor E3 Error

I have a 12 year old Carrier 3.5 ton whole house heat pump system. I started getting an E3 error on the thermostat.
    The manual said it was the outdoor temp sensor. According to the carrier literature http://dms.hvacpartners.com/docs/100...g-tstat-10.pdf it should be 10k. Mine read 5k at room temp. So I replaced it with a new 10k. The E3 went away until either the temp started to drop or the heat pump came on, i do not know which. I saw it blinking E3 again.
    Its not cold enough for defrost cycle its only 59 outside now. If I open the thermostat and ohm S1 and S2 going outside I read the thermistor value, about 10k when I put it in, now its 2.8k So I know the wire is good.
    If I push the Up/Dn at the same time on the thermostat I get - - and od. Which means its not working. I cant check the voltage on the thermistor without getting on S1 and S2, I will have to strip the wires somewhere to measure it. So either 10k is the wrong value or there is something else wrong.
    Any ideas what?

Post Likes
    Sorry, forum rules dictate that we cannot give DIY advice or instructions. Better call your local Carrier dealer. Again, sorry we can't help you.
    GO NAVY, BEAT ARMY!

A DECADE OF DOMINANCE! +3

Post Likes
    Time to get your Carrier guy involved. He shoild be able to properly diagnose this for you.
    "We always fix it right the second time".

All posts are strictly my opinions and not those of my employer. I cannot make statements on behalf of my employer.

All advice posted by me is for educational purposes only, HVAC repairs should only be conducted by trained & qualified people.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in