Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Flushing A/C Condensate Drain

I have been using bleach to flush my a/c units condensate drain line for sometime - eliminate potential algae/mold build-up.

Today had unit PM'd and serviceman cautioned against using bleach. Claims they have had cases of damage to the PVC drain line due to the bleach. Recommended using vinegar instead. I have heard of vinegar controlling mineral build-up but not controlling algae.

He did blow out the line with nitrogen.

Any comments or experiences would be appreciated.

Why do you think they use PVC on swimming pools. If you let it stand in the pipe in full concentration for months it would develope a scale from the sodium crystals but that's not what you're doing with it.

I think hydrogen peroxide is your best bet!

We have had problems with two customers that used to pour a gallon of raw bleach into their trap and condensate pump. It literally dissolved the pan on the pump after a season. We had to replace the pump for free because the service man told him to use bleach. You can't use raw bleach. You dilute it at least to 4 oz per gallon of water. Bleach is a disinfectant not a cleaner.

I tell our customers to pour a cup of bleach in the drain and follow it with a couple cups of water. We do not tell them to put it in the drain pan as we add pan tabs when we do scheduled service.

I wouldn't use vinegar because it isn't a disinfectant. If you are concerned you could use some liquid algecides but then you could have other problems.

bleach is corrosive to metal though. and there is a lot of metal inside your unit. so if you want to speed up replacement, then its a great idea!!

also most drain lines on HVAC system aren't glued as a regular plumbing pipe. most contractors don't use primer on drain line connections, because there is no pressure on this system. so your glue joints may not be as strong as designed. bleach may weaken glue!!

there are plenty of ways to clean out a drain line without the use of sorrosive substances. flushing a drain line with plain water works great for my PM's. i am not going to tell you how to do it though, sorry.

and substance (mold mildew, whatever you called it) in a drain line is going to happen regardless. its a cool damp enviroment. regular maintenance will prevent and flush build-up out of the line. when you let it sit and dry all winter is when the biggest problems arrise.
    If Guns Kill People, Do Pencils Misspell Words?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An2a1...eature=related

Before we work on artificial intelligence why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

Quote Originally Posted by beachtech View Post
    regular maintenance will prevent and flush build-up out of the line. when you let it sit and dry all winter is when the biggest problems arrise.

Regular maintenence for most homeowners is "I had it serviced only 5 years ago".
    How tall are you Private???!!!!

Install an EZ trap. Which is basicly a p-trap that is clear pipe instead of white PVC. Also it is made so that the trap can be accessed and swept out with brush that is supplied with the EZ trap.

New product for A/C drains

Folks take a look at AL-G-LIMINATOR.COM. It supplies 6 to 8 PPM of chlorinated water for 1 year. It's fresh on the market. Very reasonably priced and very installation friendly. Cost for unit and 1 tablet is only 69.99. Replacement tablets sell for 2-3 bucks and last for one year.

Anybody else find it suspicious that we have a new member (post count 1) start a thread about flushing his condensate line with bleach and said member never posts again... not even in reply to his own thread. Then we have another new member post a product link in said thread less than 2 weeks later?

Quite a few people signing up and bumping threads just to plug products lately.

Dont do business with spammers!!!!

Stating my case

Quote Originally Posted by platchford View Post
    Anybody else find it suspicious that we have a new member (post count 1) start a thread about flushing his condensate line with bleach and said member never posts again... not even in reply to his own thread. Then we have another new member post a product link in said thread less than 2 weeks later?

I am guilty of lots of things but I am NOT guilty of the implied statement here. I have posted a "what do you think" post before and received some great suggestions. This was when the product was in the later stages of development. Now it is on the market. I did NOT start this thread. That would be an insult to this forum. I thought it would be a solution to the problem. That statement is outragous and an insult to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Olerivers View Post
    I am guilty of lots of things but I am NOT guilty of the implied statement here. I have posted a "what do you think" post before and received some great suggestions. This was when the product was in the later stages of development. Now it is on the market. I did NOT start this thread. That would be an insult to this forum. I thought it would be a solution to the problem. That statement is outragous and an insult to me.
    Well, get over it. It's a tough group here.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast