Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heat Load Calc.

Heat Load Calc.

Is it required by code (in Kentucky specifically)that a contractor perform a heat load calc. on a install, or just good practice. The reason I ask is because I have not done any residential in years. I am looking at buying a new house 1750 sq ft w/ 4ton heat pump. Seems a little big to me. Any input or a place where I could go and read those type of codes on the net would be greatly appreciated.

A good contractor will ALWAYS perform a heat load calculation per manual J. And then select the equipment and design the ductwork per manual D.

I would never accept anything less.

I understand a good contractor will, I used to back when I done residential. But is it CODE? Can I force the contractor to give me a heat load for this new house I'm buying?

I don't know if it is code, but the only other way to size it is to guess. I can't believe that the guy would still be in business if he didn't. If you think that the system is too big, pick up a copy of manual J and manual D and check it yourself. They should set you back more than $100 for both and it will give you a little bit more insight.

Quote Originally Posted by jsherhvac View Post
    I understand a good contractor will, I used to back when I done residential. But is it CODE? Can I force the contractor to give me a heat load for this new house I'm buying?
    If you're having a house built then regardless of whether it was code or not I would force them to do a load calc. How are they sizing the systems otherwise??? Even if you take two identical homes at the same elevation and within 100 yards of each other (like a lot of developments) there are still things that affect the load for each house individually (and the specific rooms therein) such as which direction the house is facing!

The house has already been built, no one has ever lived in it, I'm buying from the builder. Just wondered if by code he had to provide me with a load calc. If not then thats fine.

There was a heat load calc done for permitting just ask him for it. 4 tons is perfect for that sq ft

If it's code or not- relying on the builder to run the load test or worse- the low bid installer isn't going to tell you much since numbers can be scewed one way or the other. If you were in the business then you know how important it is. Buy a home version of the HVAC Calc linked above and put "your" numbers in. You may want it 78 in the summer and the contractor ran the calcs @ 70. You can then get the right system before you close.

Quote Originally Posted by crash69 View Post
    There was a heat load calc done for permitting just ask him for it. 4 tons is perfect for that sq ft
    How do you know that 4 tons is right for that particular house if you haven't seen the Manual J calc?

Quote Originally Posted by shodinjido View Post
    How do you know that 4 tons is right for that particular house if you haven't seen the Manual J calc?
    His rule of thumb tells him so.

new house idiot you know it had a heat load

Quote Originally Posted by crash69 View Post
    new house idiot you know it had a heat load
    How do you know? It could've been a genius engineer that did everything in the planning process.

A load calc may or may not have been done.
    Even if one is on file, it could just be a form one they use for ths sq ft house.

It is not required to do let alone file a load calc in all juristictions.

To the OP. You may be able to force them to show you one.
    But no way to tell if its right.
    It can be fudged to say your house needs 4 tons.
    Better off doing your own.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast