Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hybrid question

We were looking at the Jetta, Diesel. But we figured it will still cost more with the Jetta

Diesel is at $4.19 a gallon, that would be .0931 a mile.
    Gas is at $3.57 a gallon, be .0893 a mile.

My vote is with the safety oriented guys. People drive like animals around here and there's no way I would let gas prices dictate what level of safety I have around me on the road.

Too many times I've come up on accidents involving these little gas sippers and you couldn't recognize what the car was. You see the tops chopped off to get out the occupants, front and rear halves separated by 20 feet, dozens of parts scattered all over the road where the car literally came apart in the impact. AND WAYYY TOO MANY TIMES, a blue tarp thrown over the top of the car to hide the death inside.(A normal move for CT staties when there's a fatality on the highway.)

Maybe if the majority of the cars around here were jellybeans, and we could bounce them off each other like bumper cars and nobody got hurt, it would be a different story. But for the time being, I want some steel wrapped around me.

Today, diesel is $4.599 and gas is $3.999

Point well taken on the safety aspect (one reason I won't own a Prius), my Jetta rates high in crash tests and came standard with 8 airbags (4 front, 2 side, 2 rear side). Also many of these savage wrecks are pure stupidity, people think cars are appliances.

I've always had big vehicles, 68 Ford Custom, 76 Pontiac Parissienne, etc. Then I bought a 93 Suburban. Came with a deeded oil well. She got rear-ended by a voyager with 2 young guys in it. Bent the trailor electrical connector... Totalled the Voyager. She barely knew she was hit.

I hit a deer in my 04 Durango in December. I would not have wanted to be in my Sebring. Nowadays, the Sebring (convertable) at 30 mpg, is our summer/city car and barely sees a highway. Durango does the miles on the highway, 18 mpg.

My service truck is the real concern for me... I am getting ready to replace it, 99 Savana, not big miles but the body is returning to dust, but don't have a clue which way to go I want size, but I also want real fuel economy and convenience. Van, Pick-up? Small, large? I dunno, yet. I like domestic, whatever that is these days, but I am not against imports. I am still confused.

I imagine that it probably won't be long before Ford & GMC hybrid their vans, but cost $75,000.
    Is this a Fabreze moment? C.Y.D. I'm voting white elephant. 2.
    My competition are my best salespeople!

Quote Originally Posted by gruntly View Post
    My service truck is the real concern for me... I am getting ready to replace it, 99 Savana, not big miles but the body is returning to dust, but don't have a clue which way to go I want size, but I also want real fuel economy and convenience. Van, Pick-up? Small, large? I dunno, yet. I like domestic, whatever that is these days, but I am not against imports. I am still confused.

I imagine that it probably won't be long before Ford & GMC hybrid their vans, but cost $75,000.
    I am kind of in the same boat. On one hand, I want fuel efficient, but on the other hand, I want to be able to carry lots of parts, which means less trips and less fuel. I think I am leaning towards the big, gas hog route, like a cube van, Spartan, or KUV. I will probably get 10 mpg, but hopefully I will be making less parts runs and more calls per day. I don't know, either way, it's gonna cost me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12