Thread: Charging a TurboCore

Post Likes

Charging a TurboCore

We are having a new Turbocore installed in one of our buildings. The teck from McQuay has been in last two days putting the charge in. Over 1000 pounds of gas. He is putting in the charge by vapor.

Watching the tecks from McQuay work has not filled me with confidence. My question is on a Turbocore do you have to charge the unit by vapor?

Sorry but I am just an old greasie snipe and some of this new equipment just is different.

Thanks
    Old snipes don't die they just loose their steam

Post Likes
    like any chiller, the pumps should be running to circulate water and the initial charge should go in as vapor. Once he gets enough in there he may be able to add liquid, but my guess is they are a bit slow right now and he's going by the book. Keep in mind that this is still rather new technology and it may be one of the first few they have seen depending on how progressive their local office is.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by flange View Post
    like any chiller, the pumps should be running to circulate water and the initial charge should go in as vapor. Once he gets enough in there he may be able to add liquid, but my guess is they are a bit slow right now and he's going by the book. Keep in mind that this is still rather new technology and it may be one of the first few they have seen depending on how progressive their local office is.

That is what I was thinking, so I thought I would ask and see what others has to say.

Post Likes
    I would pose that "Perhaps" the Tech on site was concerned that the Ref. he was installing had some "Possible" traces of oil in it of unknown origin...
    Other than that...I cannot imagine vapor charging 1000# of "ANY" ref.
    Ain't "None" of us as smart as "All" of us..

Post Likes
    one yhousand pounds?

I think the biggest turbocor is about 160 tons.
    over 5 pounds per ton seems a bit high?
    true knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by supertek65 View Post
    one yhousand pounds?

I think the biggest turbocor is about 160 tons.
    over 5 pounds per ton seems a bit high?

I believe the unit is over 300 tons.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardL View Post
    I would pose that "Perhaps" the Tech on site was concerned that the Ref. he was installing had some "Possible" traces of oil in it of unknown origin...
    Other than that...I cannot imagine vapor charging 1000# of "ANY" ref.

IF the chiller was new, the refrig should be virgin or at least reclaimed to ARI 700 standards.
    Unless, the refrig was removed from an old system the customer owned, then it could be re-used. Did this refrig come out of a system that the Customer owned?

But, I agree, why would you charge 1000# of vapor.

Post Likes
    It must be a time and material job or he has nothing better to do, 1000#'s vapour, what a maroon.

Post Likes
    well i just charged a new smardt w/ 500# r-134a break with vapor after 24hr standing vaccumm and push pull liquid.as far as oil the turbbocores do have a fitting on suction cover for removing oil that may be in system originally there for when t-cores installed in retrofit application and when system may contain trace amounts of oil.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by drivewizard View Post
    IF the chiller was new, the refrig should be virgin or at least reclaimed to ARI 700 standards.
    Unless, the refrig was removed from an old system the customer owned, then it could be re-used. Did this refrig come out of a system that the Customer owned?

Should be new. Old chiller was a sidewinder R123. This will be our only 134a machine.

Post Likes
    question??? how are they retrofitting low pressure vessels w/ high psi gas and addressing ari certifications/asme certifications ect....

Post Likes
    just thought about it you have a wmc mcquay and cvha not retroed....

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by acjourneyman View Post
    It must be a time and material job or he has nothing better to do, 1000#'s vapour, what a maroon.

They have been something else.

Show up one afternoon one shows up to replace a bent section of tubing. He goes to the roof and anounces he will have to go to the parts store to get some tubing and will be back in a half hour. Two hours later he gets back with a section of tubing and a new tube flarer. I go up to the roof an hour and a half later and he is just standing there. "I waiting for someone to bring me a tube bender".

When ever they are in the building they disiapear around 12:00 with out anyone knowing where they went, they return around 1:45.

Last friday one of them gets the to continue charging the unit, that is around 3:30. I was working OT that day I go up after 6:00 PM, he is complaining that the building shut down and now the chill has no load.

One the comments he made really got to me. "You got a rough job, not only do you have to stay late but you are working." I was like well they are paying me.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by cntrlvalchiller View Post
    just thought about it you have a wmc mcquay and cvha not retroed....

Old unit was full of rust. It is a complete new unit, with new pumps.

Post Likes
    previous post ha ha just like G. Waltz would comment or past co-worker...

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by cntrlvalchiller View Post
    previous post ha ha just like G. Waltz would comment or past co-worker...

Now there is a name from the past.

Post Likes
    Sounds like he is hiding out. Job security!
    "I'm from Texas, what country are you from?"

Post Likes
    If youve got a seasoned tech, he would break the vacuum with gas, get a bit in there and charge with liquid, assuming the pumps are running and you have some load. As stated befroe, these guys are hiding out. That may be the bosses decision. Right now its kinda slow depending on what market you are in and the overall business focus. Since you just bought the machine and have factory start up, I would guess they have no where else to go, and are laying low until the spring season comes alive. All that being said, I would guess they are jerks to some extent by the way you state that they treat you. As any good mechanic knows, we are guests in your house and should act like one unless treated unfairly.

Post Likes
    Well said!
    "I'm from Texas, what country are you from?"

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in