Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help w/ Trane RTU condensing fan issue

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by esornivram View Post
    the problem will come back, this was an three phase warrenty issue with trane, they did work on their Larger corp clients, ie Lowes, Home depot, and some others, I do recall that Costco REFUSED to allow free warrenty work.
    I spent two years on the road, La to Miami, To chicgo, To New Hamp.
    and until We did this the problem returns to the unit, average time table was 12 to 18 months, depending on climat and seasonal usage, I had some units in Phoenix that were 9 months old, fresh out of the factory line, installin in sept of 04 qnd in feb of 05 they had failing superheat numbers.

the pass fail SH chart, the temp range we were given was ( +0:-5 ) degress total, no maybes was their call,this chart is 11 x 17

I only had 1 comp on 1 unit do this....I was was kind of thinking the wrong header was installed....not plugging up....Numbers on each individual orifice were a lower value than the newheader....The TXV,s and distributor's you installed..Trane Kit? or did you put together?

So did the TXV, distributor come in a kit or did you

Post Likes

factory internal

the kits came from Sporlan, they built the package for Trane factory and wasnt available from trane parts stores, the last i heard some of the parts stores had started building the kits,
    I have an PDF file thats too big to post, it includes the kit part numbers by each model number, to cover the correct number ot tubes needed per model.
    the same kit for the 241's also covered the 301's
    the 240's and 300's had different number of tubes on the distrubitors.
    on the 180's was different than the 181's, and each of the 15 ton model units only had parts for the 10 ton circuit,

the was a big thread on this topic about a year ago, if you do a search you may find all the details without me retyping it again.
    If you cant cool it
    HEAT THE Hello out of it

Post Likes
    Thanks for the info.

I'll check it out!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by acbandit_328 View Post
    I think CommtechinVA is on the right track. I have seen this on some Trane units. Check amp draw and voltage to motor. A while back, I saw a device at a local supply house here in Vegas. It's an anti-windmilling brake for condenser fan motors. It mounts right on the shaft. If the wind-milling is strong enough to affect head pressure, this is a great device. If you need one, e-mail me and I'll tell you who you can get it from. My e-mail in is my profile.
    If this is an trane, DONT USE IT, the head pressure control is calculated for the unit doing just what it is doing, spining backwards, and it doesnt affect the motor starting issues, any two circuits system are designed for FREE AIR bypass under these conditions, mess with it and the unit will start acting up,

and now with most MFG going to TXV systems it would affect them as well.
    If you cant cool it
    HEAT THE Hello out of it

Post Likes

factory internal

Quote Originally Posted by esornivram View Post
    the kits came from Sporlan, they built the package for Trane factory and wasnt available from trane parts stores, the last i heard some of the parts stores had started building the kits,
    I have an PDF file thats too big to post, it includes the kit part numbers by each model number, to cover the correct number ot tubes needed per model.
    the same kit for the 241's also covered the 301's
    the 240's and 300's had different number of tubes on the distrubitors.
    on the 180's was different than the 181's, and each of the 15 ton model units only had parts for the 10 ton circuit,

the was a big thread on this topic about a year ago, if you do a search you may find all the details without me retyping it again.
    Do you still have the .pdf file you mentioned in this post? If so, would it be possible to have you e-mail it to me? I would greatly appreciate it. Cheers!
    Just tell 'em I meant well.

Post Likes
    You said your first stage was running corectly and 2nd stage running backwards w/ no call for cooling, correct? I have found it happens less w/ a clean condenser coil, the problem is when you get a call for 2nd stage the fan sometimes does'nt correct itself. Trane came out with a fix it cuts out both fans on a call for 2nd stage for a few sec and then they both turn correctly.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ccut View Post
    You said your first stage was running corectly and 2nd stage running backwards w/ no call for cooling, correct? I have found it happens less w/ a clean condenser coil, the problem is when you get a call for 2nd stage the fan sometimes does'nt correct itself. Trane came out with a fix it cuts out both fans on a call for 2nd stage for a few sec and then they both turn correctly.
    Isnt it just temperature that brings on the second fan?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvac_superman View Post
    Isnt it just temperature that brings on the second fan?
    Yes and this tread is a year and half old.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ascj View Post
    Yes and this tread is a year and half old.
    I kind of thought it was old but didn't look at the date

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in