Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 23 seer?

23 seer?

I am concidering the 23 seer Tappan/Nordyne for replacement. First off, any feedback about this system? True dollars saved? Any issues I need to be aware of? Second, I have a 2000 square foot house. My master bedroom is in the back of the house and has a separate 2.5 ton 2 speed york cooling it. If I just replace the 12 seer that cools the main part of the house will I still see substantial energy savings. Right now, in the summer ( Texas) my bill with ave billing is 350.00. Over 500.00 without ave billing. I am, of course looking for spcifice regarding my first question and general opinions for the second.

Great site. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rolltider View Post
    I am concidering the 23 seer Tappan/Nordyne for replacement. First off, any feedback about this system? True dollars saved? Any issues I need to be aware of? Second, I have a 2000 square foot house. My master bedroom is in the back of the house and has a separate 2.5 ton 2 speed york cooling it. If I just replace the 12 seer that cools the main part of the house will I still see substantial energy savings. Right now, in the summer ( Texas) my bill with ave billing is 350.00. Over 500.00 without ave billing. I am, of course looking for spcifice regarding my first question and general opinions for the second.

Great site. Thanks
    Inverted systems will save you money, but there is no way for any one on the internet to tell you how much since you would only be replacing one of two systems. While Nordyne does not yet have a heat pump version they are available in the market place and have been for quite some time. you could probably provide all your heat and cooling needs with one of these units. Check out some of these discussions to get a better understanding on how they work.

http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=162245
    http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=164052
    http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=164099

With a 2000 sq. ' house your summer electric is 500+ ?

You have a 2.5 cooling just the master?

I would do an energy audit if I were you. The cost of tightening up your house and increasing insulation would be my starting point. I would then have a competent HVAC company do a load analysis and duct analysis and see if the design is correct.

To me it seems that something isn't right. I have a 3500 sq. ' house in Dallas with 3 units and my electric bill seldom sees over 550 with 9 seer equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by Rolltider View Post
    If I just replace the 12 seer that cools the main part of the house will I still see substantial energy savings?
    No, not if that 12 SEER is properly charged, properly operating, and ductwork and insulation are all OK.

23 Seer

I Installed A 21 Seer (3 Ton) Frigidaire/nordyne Unit And It Saves Me Approximately 30%. Just Remember To Realize This Savings, There Are A Lot Of Issues That Have To Be Addressed. A Properly Installed Unit, Sized Correctly, Utilizing Properly Sized And Sealed Duct Work. Also There Are Not Any Compatible Zoning Systems That I Am Aware Of At This Point, Although They Are In The Development Stage. Also You Would Have To Stay In The House At Least 7 To 10 Years To Recover Your Initial Additional Cost Over A 14 To 16 Seer Unit. Lastly, The Few Bugs Have Been Addressed With Updated Components, But I Would Suggest Factoring In A 10 Or 12 Year Labor Warranty To Complement The 10 To 12 Year Parts Warranty. Good Luck!

Ibis1

Whats the mod number of this York 2.5 ton 2 stage.

The 23 SEER may save you a lot or not.
    Depends if you have humidity issues or not. If you have high humidity, then it can save you a lot, by keeping the humidity lower, and allowing you to raise the set point on the stat.

1 or both of your current systems may be oversized. Oversized systems short cycle, and raise the electric bill.

Becarefull with just putting a 23 SER in. If your ductwork is in an attic, it could sweat and cause more harm then it does good, if the ductwork insulation is of lower R value.

Before just installing a new unit. Have your ductwork checked for air leak also.
    Any improvements you can make to your homes envelope will also help reduce your bill.
    Add insulation where ever possible, seal where ever there are air leaks. You may be able to reduce the size system you need, which will save you more money yet.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by ibis1 View Post
    I Installed A 21 Seer (3 Ton) Frigidaire/nordyne Unit And It Saves Me Approximately 30%.

Ibis1
    Was this 30% savings based on comparing it with a new 14 SEER / 12 EER unit or an older unit?

30% savings

The Savings Was Compared To A Working 12 Seer Unit. I Live In South Florida, With High Temps And Humidity, Which Would Allow For More Savings Compared To A More Moderate Climate. This Unit Is Very Good At Lowering Humidity And Is Extremely Quite.

This Unit Is Very Good At Lowering Humidity And Is Extremely Quite.

Have you raised you thermostat set temp with the lower humidity.
    Contractor locator map

Thermostat

I've Kept It At 76 (we Like It Cool) But It Feels Cooler With The New Unit.

Many people don't realize how much cooler a house feels with low humidity.
    When they get 2 stage or better systems, almost all of them say this temp or that temp feels cooler now.
    Some have to set the stat higher, or they say they it gets too cool in the house.

Glad your happy with your choice.
    Contractor locator map

I would like to know how the inverter systems compare to a two stage geothermal system. Can anybody say without violating the rules?

Not sure what you mean.

But a 2 stage geo, would be either first or second stage.
    The inverter will ramp up or down in small increases, not just either low or high.

On the hottest day, the geo will have a better/higher BTU rating, same on the coldest day.
    Contractor locator map

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast