Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Texas: Options for cooling just bedroom at night

2200 sq ft, 1 story home in Dallas, TX. Built in 1950's. 5 ton AC, Janitrol 10 SEER. New American Standard variable speed, 2 stage 80% furnace. We've had a small window AC that we (empty nesters) have used past 2-3 summers for bedroom at night, setting thermostat on main AC at 85. Both of us work during the day, when we also have the AC set at 85. Thus, AC is on for a couple of hours in am and then in the evening. (In spring and fall we use whole house attic fan to pull in outside cool air.)

It seems to make a lot of sense not to cool the entire house at night, but the current arrangement just is not satisfactory. The window AC is noisy and we're concerned about safety (window faces back yard, making easy entry for a burglar).
    We have a very small 1/2 bath off of our bedroom, with a window that is too small (20" w X 36" high for any window AC unit that I've ever seen.
    Are there other reasonably priced, efficient options we could consider to cool just our bedroom at night?

perfect place for a mini-split.

Quote Originally Posted by t527ed View Post
    perfect place for a mini-split.
    I agree
    Karst means cave. So, I search for caves.

Depends on the definition of reasonably priced.

If your in an area that you also use heat. Then a mini split heat pump would be a great choice. You don't have to heat the entire house at night time either then.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

mini-splits and reasonably priced

I'll have to learn about mini-splits? I guess reasonably priced could mean a 5 yr payback, maybe less?

Quote Originally Posted by Billss View Post
    I'll have to learn about mini-splits? I guess reasonably priced could mean a 5 yr payback, maybe less?
    Maybe less

What equation would you use to factor B&E when calculating payback?

Using mini-split as a "booster" for main AC?

If we install a 9000 btu mini-split (Sanyo 16 SEER, variable speed) for our 200 sq ft bedroom here in Dallas Tx, can we use it as a booster for our main AC (Janitrol 10 SEER)? That is, on the evenings and weekends when we want to cool the entire house, should we leave the mini-split running. Since its more efficient than the main AC, it seems to me (I'm relatively clueless about these things, having heard of mini-splits for the first time this morning) that keeping the mini-split on would help cool the house and make the main AC run less and therefore the cost of cooling would be less.
    According to this reasoning, it might even make sense to get a 12000 btu mini-split (which costs ~10% more than the 9000 btu). The Sanyo is variable speed, so that when we are using it alone at night, it could run at the lower speed. Then, when we are using the main AC, the booster effect from the mini-split would be even greater. I'm I thinking about this is a screwy way?

I would size the mini-split for bdr. This would be it's intended purpose. Oversizing would be uncomfortable.

It is very common for people to install a mid sized min split on the second floor and use it to cool the entire second floor.
    We install Mr. Slim and have had great luck
    We even removed the return air from one house and used it as a laundry shoot because the new unit was more then capabale for the load.
    I remember my first day,It was fun!

2200 sq ft, 1 story home in Dallas, TX. Built in 1950's. 5 ton AC, Janitrol 10 SEER. New American Standard variable speed, 2 stage 80% furnace. We've had a small window AC that we (empty nesters) have used past 2-3 summers for bedroom at night, setting thermostat on main AC at 85. Both of us work during the day, when we also have the AC set at 85. Thus, AC is on for a couple of hours in am and then in the evening. (In spring and fall we use whole house attic fan to pull in outside cool air.)

It seems to make a lot of sense not to cool the entire house at night, but the current arrangement just is not satisfactory. The window AC is noisy and we're concerned about safety (window faces back yard, making easy entry for a burglar).
    We have a very small 1/2 bath off of our bedroom, with a window that is too small (20" w X 36" high for any window AC unit that I've ever seen.
    Are there other reasonably priced, efficient options we could consider to cool just our bedroom at night?

I actually have a mitsubishi mini split that was installed for a period of 6 months as a temporary solution and I'd be willing to make you a sweet deal on it

Twilli got an ex wife Twilli can send you
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Quote Originally Posted by twilli3967 View Post
    Twilli got an ex wife Twilli can send you
    What happened, they send her back for insufficient postage

Quote Originally Posted by air2spare View Post
    I actually have a mitsubishi mini split that was installed for a period of 6 months as a temporary solution and I'd be willing to make you a sweet deal on it
    Bump this for the ho, sounds sweet to me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast