Grilling Boneless Leg of Lamb

I bought a 5 lb boneless premarinated leg of lamb that is trussed up with string. I am pondering the best way to cook it? Anyone have suggestions?

The label says slap it in a shallow roasting pan and throw in a 325 degree oven till the internal temp is 160.
    I wonder if the string would hold up if I rotisseried it?

I don't want to ruin a $17 hunk of meat. OOPS, no pricing allowed, sorry. ha ha

The string should hold up fine on a spit....but you could always buy some more string and tie a few more of you are worried....Although...if you have a good gas grill that will hold it's temp at 325 relaibly then I would suggest using your grill as your oven and add some good wood smoking chips for extra flavor!
    I need a new signature.....

Here's what you should do. First, the ties hold up, I've tried it. I've also put quartered small red potatoes and other veggies under the lamb and the juices really made the veggies great of course you need to add some seasoning to the veggies. We had a great feast.!

If it were me, I'd dry it off real well. Pat it real dry with paper towels (so it sears well but doesn't steam) and season well with salt. Preheat your grill (or start your coals). Leave the meat out 15 to 30 minutes to achieve room temp for even cooking, lest the middle be 42* (fridge temp) and the outside be at 68* when you begin roasting/grilling.

Sear it over direct, high heat (charcoal or gas) until the meat surface has some nice color to it. Then move it over to the side (over indirect heat) until finished. I like my leg o lamb at 140* to 145*, otherwise it's too dry for me. But to each his own. FYI, 160* will bring it to well done. Use an instant read thermometer. Best $7 you'll ever spend when grilling big cuts like this.

Remove, cut the strings and tent under foil to rest. This step is extremely crucial otherwise all the juices spill out onto the cutting board. Rule of thumb for resting times = 1/2 cooking time. But any amount of time is better than grill straight to cutting board.

Enjoy!

South/West of Quebec in the other part of Canada
    I like drcustom's cooking intructions...

I like mine a little different.

rosemay

garlic

olive oil

lemon

sesame seeds

pepper......................

same cooking technique though.
    It's Time To Be Nice To People

Thanks for the replies. I didn't get a chance to read your replies because my internet was down.
    I got off work early today, pulled the leg of lamb out of the fridge, removed the binding string, stuck it on the rotisserie and cooked it to 151 degrees. I put a pan under with burgundy wine and chicken stock, but ended up not using the drippings for anything.

Came out looking like this:

The wife and I loved it, and we are going to make gyros with the leftovers.

Drying it out would be my reasoning for NOT cooking it on the BBQ. But you look like you made out alright. Nothing ventured, nothing gained!

Where is the mint jelly???

that looks like a good piece of meat!

I normally spice mine up a bit with some cajun spices.
    "Correct Installation is the Key"

.1 has killed more HX then Rush Limbaugh

What is your TESP?

I kept telling the wife: "This is not BAAAAAA-d!"

Quote Originally Posted by iyaayas View Post
    I kept telling the wife: "This is not BAAAAAA-d!"
    And did you sleep alone last night????

Looks like it turned out great . Congrats ! When is Jeff comming over for dinner ? Curtis should let me in once anyhow. Take care
    i belong to peta ... people eating tasty animals. all my opinions are just mine.