Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Chili Contest.

I really do love to cook it and love to eat it even more. That's part of the problem. Once I make, I eat it almost continually. I eat it for breakfast. I eat it for lunch. I eat it for snacks. I add sharp cheddar cheese. I add pounds.

I made five pounds (amount of beef) for a New Year's Eve party and had a lot (LOT) left over. No one in my house wants to even smell chili for awhile.

Tomatoes, bell peppers, and raspberries are all on sale this weekend so I think I might make up a bunch of Smoked Rasperry Salsa and Five Pepper Picante Sauce. I want to cut down or eliminate the cumin in the picante sauce to see how it changes it. When its fresh, the cumin adds a really nice flavor, but I think it gives it a bitter taste after a couple of weeks. The picante sauce needs some work. It finished 3rd at the State Fair.
    Matt Michel
    Service Roundtable
    www.serviceroundtable.com

I like Chili and fried eggs. Green or red. Chili for breakfast makes er stick out all day long.
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

What are you going to do with it, sticking out all day?

Quote Originally Posted by A/C guy's chick View Post
    The meat is the trick. You can add all the spices and beans and tomatoes but the meat is critical. We like to take a trim brisket, slice into bite size pieces and cook in the pot first to get a good browning. Then add all the rest of your choice of ingredients and simmer till done. Then put in frig and bring out the next day and heat again. This marriage's all the flavors and it just taste great I think. The meat is tender and it goes great with BEER !
    I use roast, and cut it so the grain is one-one and a half inches long. I agree start with good meat.

Quote Originally Posted by andserco View Post
    What are you going to do with it, sticking out all day?
    Kinda just a saying......... If it sticks out over 4 hours..... seek medical attention!
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

Okay, I read post 44. Slightly confused, I scroll up to post 43. Yikes.

I think I'll return to Comanche Marketing. It's far safer.
    Matt Michel
    Service Roundtable

Aaaaaw dont chicken out Mike. My friend owns a biz thats sponsoring a chili cook off. So of course I'm gonna try it. Been looking at the champ recipes, and fiddlin with a batch. It's weird, Ive always thought chili should be pretty. Onions, peppers, tomatoes to look at. 3 colors of beans, etc etc etc. I'm having a hard time looking at a bowl of meat. It tastes killer. Just not what I'm used to cooking. I think I'm gonna set it in the garage and get some sleep. My tase buds might be burnt off from real heat and chilis. Dont wanna go overboard on the seasoning. It amazes me literally how much volume of spices are in this award chili. Fun tho, and the house smells awesome.
    Walter Matthau

OK, so great chili is an art form, and great chili cooks must have a vast knowlege of spices and dried chilies and how they affect flavor. I've ground and killed 2 big ol chuck roasts this weekend, and now I know for sure, I'm not ready for any cookoff. They were both good, but that was it. Not great, not by a long shot. Funny how the flavor evolves too. You can have it tasting awesome! Then 15 minutes later thing..... hey, where did that flavor go?
    Walter Matthau

Visit the link to the Terlingua recipes I sent. Just try one of those and see what happens. Of course, I suspect that the winners don't share everything. I think they hold back a key ingredient or two. Still, by looking at several, you can get a good idea what makes a great base chili.

Once you get a base recipe down, you can start experimenting. Just write down what you're doing and don't change too much as once.
    Matt Michel
    Service Roundtable

Thats exactly what i was doing. Even tried to do the tequila lime thing. Put in the juice from 7 key limes, and get a nice limey flavor.......... hour later it's about gone. I'm thinking that should be a 20 mins before turn in type thing. Did you see my post on the meat only aspect? Boy it's hard for me to cook chili without "Stuff" in it.
    Walter Matthau

Quote Originally Posted by spotts View Post
    Thats exactly what i was doing. Even tried to do the tequila lime thing. Put in the juice from 7 key limes, and get a nice limey flavor.......... hour later it's about gone. I'm thinking that should be a 20 mins before turn in type thing. Did you see my post on the meat only aspect? Boy it's hard for me to cook chili without "Stuff" in it.
    How hot were you cooking? Chili should be cooked on low heat. Were you covering the pot to keep the flavors in?
    Matt Michel
    Service Roundtable

well, I was and then somebody would go taste it again and the lid would be off. There was folks over for playoffs. I was cookin in pretty low.
    Walter Matthau

Were you using ground chuck or cubed chuck?
    Matt Michel
    Service Roundtable

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast