Chili Contest. - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Chili Contest.

I'm competing in my second chili cookoff Saturday. Last year, I won "People's Choice" with my Tequila Lime Chili.

Yup, it's got Tequila in it. The alcohol is cooked off, leaving the flavor. Tequila can help foods if eated within a reasonable amount of time (i.e., within a week). Over too much time, Tequila tends to give food a bad taste.

In my chili I used a few techniques from my salsa cooking in my chili. People seem to like it.

Someone said it depends on the meat. I agree that the meat is important. To chili purists, it's almost all important. Use bison or venison in a contest and promote it and you've got a better shot. Use ground turkey and the odds are stacked against you.

I'm not sure if there's an advantage between ground meat and diced or cubed meat. I like ground meat because I think it absorbs the spices better.

One of the things that I had a tough time working through was the timing of the spice additions. I use three dumps. The first is with the meat when I'm searing it. The second is right after that. I bring it to a boil and let it simmer for an hour or more. The final dump, which contains most of the heat, comes 30 minutes before judging. The timing is important because it gets hotter over time.

A few people have said, just dump what you got and it'll work. Yup. It will. But sometimes it's better than others. You need to write stuff down for repeatability. Once I get a recipe I like, I tweak it by changing one or two things at a time to see if it improves.

If you want some great starter recipes, you can't beat the Terlinqua Winners. The only thing better than cooking spicy food is eating it.
    Matt Michel
    Service Roundtable
    www.serviceroundtable.com

The results from the chili cook off are...

People's Choice
    Best Overall

It was fun and my college age daughter was on my team. The only problem is the chili is gone, I didn't get much, and after cooking 10 pounds of chuck, plus all of the other stuff, I don't feel like cooking chili. Oh well, it's better than being stuck with a pot full of bad chili.
    Matt Michel
    Service Roundtable

Hey, congradulations !!!

Congrats.... I made Chilli for new years day and had alot of friends over. Everyone said they loved it.... I wondered if they were just being nice...

Quote Originally Posted by coolhvac View Post
    Congrats.... I made Chilli for new years day and had alot of friends over. Everyone said they loved it.... I wondered if they were just being nice...

Probably. People are motavated to niceness with free food.

When I was a kid I was so ugly that my mother had to tie a pork chop around my neck to get the dog to play with me.

Quote Originally Posted by coolhvac View Post
    If they ate it, chances are they loved it.
    Matt Michel
    Service Roundtable

I've tasted Chili with tequila in it. It was nasty. So is cheap tequila. That was my thought. Why dont you share a little of you secrets Matt? Tequila lime chili sounds like a fun thing to cook. You know we wont compete with you...... You dont have to give the exact recipe. If its one of those "I'd tell ya but I'd have to kill you" type situations......... I really dont wanna know, but...... I think my wife does.
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

There's not a lot of Tequila. Mostly it's there to say it's there. Here's some general stuff about chili...

Brown the meat with basic spices (e.g., chopped onion, garlic, salt, pepper - called the first dump)

Add a second dump, which includes tomato sauce, mild spices, etc. Cook it for an hour or two so the spices can cook into the meat.

Add your chili powder, red pepper, white pepper, and other hot spices about 30 minutes before serving. It will get hotter over time, so don't worry if it's not particularly spicy hot at first.

Things I do that are a little different include lots of fresh squeezed lime juice and brown sugar.

Click for recipes from the Terlinqua International Chili Championship. They're better than mine. This was my starting point. I looked at the ingredients the winners used, came up with my own recipe, and started experimenting. That makes it more fun because the recipe you ultimately end up with is yours.

Don't be afraid to try some odd things, like using orange juice or chocolate. The original chili recipes were from wagon trains where they used a bunch of spices and whatever else was handy to flavor whatever meat was used. There are no rules. It's whatever you want to try.

One thing you'll notice from the recipes is that they tend to use dry ingredients. The reason is repeatability. If you chop up a brown or white onion, it will be a little different each time. The garlic is a little different each time. I don't really care about the variability because I like using fresh ingredients. Plus, I'm casual about competing. I'll enter a competition if it's nearby, easy to enter, and convenient.
    Matt Michel
    Service Roundtable

So...when do we show up for supper!?
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by mrs reb77 View Post
    So...when do we show up for supper!?
    It will take him at least three hours to prepare the chili once he figures out what he wants to try and gets all the stuff.
    Matt Michel
    Service Roundtable

Heck, it's too cold in Missouri, I ain't going to COLORADO just to eat a novice's chili--I thought you were cooking Matt!
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Thanx Matt! Sound like alot more fun than opening cans of pintos and brownin burger.
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

Quote Originally Posted by mrs reb77 View Post
    Heck, it's too cold in Missouri, I ain't going to COLORADO just to eat a novice's chili--I thought you were cooking Matt!
    You mean it's too chili in Missouri? But it's even more chili in Colorado?
    Matt Michel
    Service Roundtable

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast