+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chili Contest.

Post Likes

Chili Contest.

Last night I went to a Chili Cookoff. Never been to one before. Quite an eye opener. I always thought my Chili was "OK" and I really enjoy it, but Man...... Last night I tasted 200 ways to screw it up! I guess other people are allowed to have their own taste.... but gawd! One was just fried hamburger with tomatoes in it, some tasted like ketchup, one had Tequilla and Chocolate in it [I wanted to tell him the tequilla should be on the side], one green variety honestly tasted like the lid fell off the cumin when they tried to add a bit. But I did find alot of tasty ways to eat raw and cooked Jalapeno's, and when I woke up this morning I was really bummed because I thought I had the flu. Soon as I sat on the pot I remembered the chili's and now I feel much better .

All in all I decided that I am a much better cook than the average guy with at least a hint on how to use seasonings and ingredients.
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

Post Likes
    I like Alton Brown's version. No beans, only meat, tomatoes, onion, and seasoning.
    Luke 6:31

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by renaissanse man View Post
    I like Alton Brown's version. No beans, only meat, tomatoes, onion, and seasoning.

Agreed, even tho I do put beans in mine. I still say "Anybody who knows Beans about real red chili, knows there aint no beans in real Chili"
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

Post Likes
    I've been to a few chilli cook offs and yes some people need to be told they can not cook. The latest was at Grainger. The employees cooked it and the customers ate it. Most was pretty good but some was just terrible.

I usually will put 2-3 kinds of beans in my chilli.

Post Likes
    Yup, I use mostly pintos, with some black and kidney for color. Farting is such sweet sorrow.
    Walter Matthau

Post Likes
    I make my own chili seasonings each fall. We grow chili peppers, habaneros, jalapenos, cayene, banana peppers, green bell peppers, and onions--dry them in the dehydrator (that's quite fragrant!) and then grind them all up together. That along with the tomatos that I can--makes pretty tasty chili. My husband likes it much hotter than I do but this concoction is plenty hot enough!
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Post Likes
    My sunday school class has a chili cook off every year. I've won twice and come in second or third every other time. Economics determine wether or not I put beans in my chile. If money's tight, the beans go in, if money's good, the beans stay in the pantry. My biggest problem is not using anything like a recipe. I can't seem to make it the same way twice!
    Never knock on Death's door. Ring the bell and run, he hates that.

Views expressed here are my own and not neccessarily those of any company I am affiliated with.

Post Likes
    Not like I'm assuming anything........ but just how old are these Suday Schoolers your competing against?
    Walter Matthau

Post Likes
    I think I remember posting on this before. Anyhoo

I tried to recreate original chili like a cook might make on a trail.
    They had to use stuff on the hoof or dried food.

So they had beef
    Onions
    Garlic
    Beans Pinto or reds. I find kidney too mealy and like red beans better. I want to try some heritage beans that might have been used in the 1860's like soldier beans
    Stock
    Chili

No tomatoes as they weren't available.

I do deep fry the beef for only till it changes color as it will be very tender and I don't have to cook it all day. Old Chinese trick.

I find this to be my favorite and I only make it this way now. Plus it's fast
    oh oh I forgot to add the green chili's.
    Last edited by hvacker; 03-20-2008 at 05:48 PM.
    We are here on Earth to fart around ......Kurt Vonnegut

You can be anything you want......As long as you don't suck at it.

USAF 98 Bomb Wing 1960-66 SMW Lu49

Post Likes
    oh,oh Don't add the beef until everything else is cooked and then just to warm it up.
    We are here on Earth to fart around ......Kurt Vonnegut

You can be anything you want......As long as you don't suck at it.

USAF 98 Bomb Wing 1960-66 SMW Lu49

Post Likes
    I hear what you all are saying about your chili, but I am not seeing any complete recipes. I would really like a good chili recipe for fall time camping. Thanks

Post Likes
    This brings me back...I also was horrified at the last cook-off I went to, I was like wtf...I had to re-read the sign to make sure it said CHILI when I walked in.

FYI- I use ground turkey, pinto and light red kidney beans, cumin, garlic, onions, peppers, chili powder, diced green chilis, diced jalapenos, diced tomatos, tomato sauce and use the crockpot.

Post Likes
    The meat is the trick. You can add all the spices and beans and tomatoes but the meat is critical. We like to take a trim brisket, slice into bite size pieces and cook in the pot first to get a good browning. Then add all the rest of your choice of ingredients and simmer till done. Then put in frig and bring out the next day and heat again. This marriage's all the flavors and it just taste great I think. The meat is tender and it goes great with BEER !
    You don't have to ASK

What I'm Against...

If you know what

I'm For...

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by A/C guy's chick View Post
    The meat is tender and it goes great with BEER !
    EVERYTHING goes great with beer!!

Post Likes
    Amen sister...
    You don't have to ASK

What I'm Against...

If you know what

I'm For...

Post Likes
    My youngest son harvested a whitetail doe yesterday evening.
    We will get the chili pot warmed up this weekend.

I don't measure anything when cooking chili.
    The term "Season to Taste" means exactly that.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by LGB View Post
    I don't measure anything when cooking chili.
    The term "Season to Taste" means exactly that.
    Exactly. I was thinking when the request was made for recipes. I could tell ya what I put in it but I have no idea how much of any of it. Usually the only amounts is 1 lb ground beef, 1 lb ground pork "or sausage", steak, onion, tomatoes, chilli powder, mushrooms, tomato sauce, paste, water, 2-3 types of beans, this that and the other......

Post Likes
    I'm goin Antelope Shootin next weekend in Wyoming. They have so many you can shoot 2 each.
    Walter Matthau

South/West of Quebec in the other part of Canada
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 537refergirl View Post
    EVERYTHING goes great with beer!!
    I'm looking for a future ex-wife.... Are you interested?
    It's Time To Be Nice To People

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by spotts View Post
    I'm goin Antelope Shootin next weekend in Wyoming. They have so many you can shoot 2 each.
    Are we cooking speed goat chili yet???

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in