Ruud A/C question

Ruud A/C question

Do Ruud's top of the line 16 and 18 SEER units have some sort of blanket over the compressor do dampen noise? Also, how do they do the 2 stage?
    Thanks.

yes, and they have the Copeland unloading scroll that sends some of the discharge back into the return to reduce pumping capacity giving a slightly lower capacity on first stage.

Also, with the compressor being outside of the condenser/fan area, in some cases these units "seem" to be even quieter because the same amount of sound is not directed from the condenser/fan area but rather more muted in the solid cabinet area it is located in.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Thanks. Would most people consider these units quiet? Also, are they well made? Thanks again for sharing your knowledge.

Looking at the RARL, most ratings are in the 71 to 74 db which is rather quiet, the 5 ton is higher. The RASL runs 69 to 71 db which is very quiet. It only goes to 3 ton. Definitely well made and very easy to maintain.

Do y'all think that I should pair it with Ruud's modulating furnace or a 2 stage? I know that, whatever I go with, it will be better than the 1983 vintage GE system it is replacing.

You would need to match it to something with a variable speed blower. So that means the Mod or 2 stage 80 XLI. Are you in a climate that justifies the Mod and 94%? Or in a milder climate, might be better off getting the 80 and RPRL heat pump for dual fuel.

I live in the Metro Atlanta area. I figure that our current furnace is about 60% efficient (it is a natural draft). The heat exchanger also seems to be somewhat rusty. Still has the final sticker from 1983 on it. Surprisingly, the 17 years we have had the house, it has required no service. We have a 2 story house, with a separate system for each level. The condenser would be gong next to another Rheem from 1989. How far apart should they be? The current GE is about 4 inches away. Many thanks for all of your help

Quote Originally Posted by Random Guy View Post
    I live in the Metro Atlanta area. I figure that our current furnace is about 60% efficient (it is a natural draft). The heat exchanger also seems to be somewhat rusty. Still has the final sticker from 1983 on it. years wSurprisingly, the 17e have had the house, it has required no service. We have a 2 story house, with a separate system for each level. The condenser would be gong next to another Rheem from 1989. How far apart should they be? The current GE is about 4 inches away. Many thanks for all of your help
    it needed service it was just not done condensors should be 18 inches minimum that way while both are running they get enough air farther is better

Thanks. The current systems seem to do just fine 4 inches apart, but I think that is because of their vastly different shapes (GE tall and narrow, Rheem short and flat)

It's not so much the amount of air that comes through the coil, it's the quality of the air. You see if you have a unit too close to the wall or another unit, the air will have to come from the top of the unit as well as the sides which can recirculate warmer air, reducing efficiency. Also the air may come through at a slightly higher velocity which will pull dirt, further into the coil making the coil work harder. Once the coil becomes dirty, you will notice cavitation of sorts with the fan where it has to pull air in through the center and the air out of the fan comes out more around the edge, complicating the problem I mentioned first.

A lower unit may blow it's warm air into the coil of the taller unit.

I guess at some point you have to trust that they didnt put the clearances in there to make your life miserable, they did it for a reason. The mfg's would love to have a unit that you can bury or tuck into a corner but just like the inside unit, airflow is cruicial to proper operation, efficiency and reliability.

How tall are these units?

33"