Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    To answer some questions and comments:
    >>Where are you?
    Philadelphia, Pa. area. Heat isn't brutal, but still....
    >>It sounds like you have only looked into replacing one component. If it hasn't been done, you may need a evaluation of the entire house
    The furnace was replaced about five years ago. So I don't need to replace that...
    >>What kind of heat do you have.
    Gas...
    >>I believe I would shop around a little more..
    I have decided against HD. I really wasn't impressed by the contractor who came out.
    As for shopping around some more: I did a lot of reading before coming upon this site (I have to repeat that the people and the tenor of the discussions are great) and came to the conclusion that Trane, Lennox and Carrier seemed to be the biggies. Also almost all the discussions about making a choice came down to the fact that the installer was the key thing and that the choice of the unit itself was almost secondary (except for really low-end ACs).
    As I said, I found the Lennox guy through Angie's List. Lots of kudos. There were a couple of minor complaints, but the contractor apparently monitors the site and when those complaints popped up he seemed to be right there to make amends.
    Thanks again for all the help....

If its gas, hot air.
    Consider a duel fuel heat pump.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by jjfried View Post
    Thanks. Sounds right. What about my other question? Do I spend 4grand now (with discounts and a rebate I found) or wait for the existing unit to break down?
    You are not going to make up the difference between current operational costs and the cost of installing a new system as long as your current system is still operational.

If you don't have a regular HVAC service company taking care of your system (you should) then you should at least have a few companies that you feel comfortable dealing with on hand for when your system does go down. There are rarely much in discounts during seasons but it may take longer for someone to get to you during a peak hot spell.

One thing is for sure; I would not put any significant money into a 20 year old system.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Red face

Maybe if your comments are true that applies to your area of the world. Here Home Depot, Sears, Costco and Jorge Bush himself all find a way to work the illegal people from Mexico. Maybe Home depot and other big businesses just have their hand in the cookie jar and take a cut. Maybe with the Home depot stamp they can pay installers 5 bucks an hour cash to install a/c equipment (while we sit a home on the computer.) The same illegals that now run the department of public safety, new construction housing, landscaping, child care and construction as a whole (industrial and commercial.) Is this Home Depot's fault....NO. They just profit from it here.

Quote Originally Posted by Skip 2 my lou View Post
    Maybe if your comments are true that applies to your area of the world. Here Home Depot, Sears, Costco and Jorge Bush himself all find a way to work the illegal people from Mexico. Maybe Home depot and other big businesses just have their hand in the cookie jar and take a cut. Maybe with the Home depot stamp they can pay installers 5 bucks an hour cash to install a/c equipment (while we sit a home on the computer.) The same illegals that now run the department of public safety, new construction housing, landscaping, child care and construction as a whole (industrial and commercial.) Is this Home Depot's fault....NO. They just profit from it here.
    As I stated earlier, Home Depot screening processes for subcontractors are pretty stringent around here.

The game is over if the subcontracator approved by Home Depot hires the illegal aliens and/or otherwise cuts corners to increase the profit desired by the subcontractor. Maybe the HD sub hires subs of his own.

Home Depot gets their cut right off the top- a % of the gross cost of the job, not a % of the net. The profit earned by Home Depot is not related to the labor cost of the subcontractor. Home Depot will still make money if the sub bids wrong and lose their a s s on the job.

I worked for a company that was a HD HVAC contractor before I was hired, and I asked the owner what the deal was. The info is what I was told.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12