Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is heat pump outside unit leveling important?

Good day!

I hope someone can help me with this simple question:

Is heat pump outside unit horizontal leveling important? In other words, I just checked the newly installed HVAC unit (Goodman heat pump, 14 SEER) and it's not level by 1,5 inch. It's leaning towards the house somehow by 1,5 inches, I used the level tool (sorry for my bad English) and the air bubble comes to the centre onlyu after I raise on end of the level by about 1 1/2 (one and a half) inches.

Is it something I should worry? I'm concerned about the warranty and also that it may slightly blow towards the wall and window of the house.

Also I can not remove the air filter as it's stuck in there and I could only take about 1/3 of it out. It's a metal frame filter.

The heat pump should be level. Also, I've heard some design flaws with the filter rack on Goodman air handlers. See if your dealer can come back and level the unit and cut a filter rack out for you in the return air side.

Thanks very much for your fast reply. How important is the leveling of a heatpump? The dealer told me it's ok if it's 1 1/2 " off level, buit I can notice with my bare eye that it is not level.

Thanks a lot.

:-)
    Last edited by enigma; 03-14-2008 at 07:21 PM. Reason: i deleted the second question

I'm not sure how much of an impact 1-1/2" will have--I'll let someone else answer that. I do know it's best to get the unit as level as possible--was there absolutely no way they could pull a level out and make it level?

I mean cut a slot out in the return air duct (if accessible) to slide a filter into there instead.

First of all after they installed it, it was like November or December 2007 and at night the heat pump started cooling instead of heating. They came and fixed that. Now one non-hvac contractor told me my H/P is not level. They (HVAC dealer) could easily level it when they originally installed it; it has space around it and the air handler is in the storm cellar below. But now I suppose they will have (?) to redo all the piping connecting the outside unit with the air handler because leveling by 1,5 inches may require to do that.

Also, after 3-4 months of operation the air handler air filter still looks like new and clean. Is this normal?

Appreciate all the help and also in advance.

:-)

should be slight pitch AWAY from house to allow water to run out.

should be no problem to lift unit enough to pitch it the other way without having to disconnect anything.

Maybe you should get a second opinion. I would never leave a unit out of level, and if a customer calls I will level it. This is just basic workmanship, it doesnt matter if it doesnt affect the operation of it.

I would also make sure that the filter could be removed if not I would fix it. These items are basic and it sounds as if maybe the install was a bit rushed.

You are not out of line asking them to come back and fix these things for free.

Take it from someone who has installed Goodman for the last 2 years....yes there is a slight 'flaw' in the design of the filter rack at the bottom. Is your air handler laying on it's side or upright? If it is upright is it sitting up on a metal box to allow the air to flow up from the bottom? And no you are not out of line to ask to have the outdoor unit leveled....if it's off by that much then it should be fixed!
    I need a new signature.....

out of level can cause a short compressor life. i would deffinately have them level it! it says so in the instructions that unit must be level. it doesn't say its ok to be an inch and half off. geeeezzz
    If Guns Kill People, Do Pencils Misspell Words?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An2a1...eature=related

Before we work on artificial intelligence why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

Thank you for the suggestions. I think it's stupid for the Goodman company to make an airhandler that can't change filter in it. It's like making a car that you can't remove wheels without welding them off.

T527ed: what do you mean "pitch away"? The unit is on a solid ground about a foot away from the house wall and is off level by 1 1/2 inch to the south-east corner. The house is East of the unit, so the unit is leaning towards both the house and the south. I can notice that with my bare eye, could be as much as 2 inches off level.

Hivacer, thanks. I_bend_metal, the storm cellar air handler is standing upright and I think it's on top of the air box, or the air box on top of it, not sure. The storm cellar is only as big as to put the air handler and walk around it carefully.

When they "finished" there were open holes in some places blowing air. Those holes were from the removed propane heating system. After I notified he promised to seal those holes, but did not. After I reminded again he put a duct tape over the hole. The cost wasn't cheap.

I should make pictures of the installation and show to you, just in case.

I used to have propane system and A/C unit which worked fine being 17 years old, but after the propane company tried to charge me some funny fees and raised the costs significantly I decided to let them go and installed a heat pump. The cost with H/P is just 30% or so of the propane.

welding is a process of attaching 2 metals.

goodman didn't plan this. its more of a manu defec, that the kinks are being worked out on.

auto manu's have recalls all the time, right?? same thing

please post some pics of your installation we love pics!!
    Last edited by beachtech; 03-14-2008 at 10:09 PM. Reason: spelling, oops :)
    If Guns Kill People, Do Pencils Misspell Words?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An2a1...eature=related

Before we work on artificial intelligence why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

Yeah the Goodman filter rack is a flaw....HOWEVER....because I know this as an installer, I will never expect a homeowner to use it...I install my own filter rack just underneath the unit...I make sure that it is easy for you as a homeowner to change. Pics would be nice in this case...

How many bids did you get on your new system? Did any of your bids talk to you about the benefits of doing a propane furnace with an electric heat pump? Was this the lowest of all the prices you got??
    I need a new signature.....

Quote Originally Posted by beachtech View Post
    welding is a process of attaching 2 metals.

goodman didn't plan this. its more of a manu defec, that the kinks are being worked out on.

auto manu's have recalls all the time, right?? same thing

please post some pics of your installation we love pics!!
    Beachtech, that's what I wanted to know: "short compressor life".

Welding, I mean you can de-weld or un-weld as well.

Then Goodman must be having a recall, I'll call them to find out.

I wrote down to make pics, will post soon I hope.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast