Insulating my duct work

What would be the best material to insulate my ductwork? Should I use the fiberglass insulation that is designed for ducts or Reflectix wrap?

Thanks

first, is there a local code requirement for insulating duct? then, where will the duct be installed? now you are ready to pick an insulation material.

After considering your code, you need to identify (with manual J) what R value you need, then you can get the insulation. Don't worry about the type, it is more important that it functions right and doesn't take away from your system.

I've been told unless the duct work is under your house (craw space) there's no need to insulate them. Any cooling or heating that comes off of them is in the house thus you have no heat/cooling lose

Quote Originally Posted by hedtedjr View Post
    After considering your code, you need to identify (with manual J) what R value you need, then you can get the insulation. Don't worry about the type, it is more important that it functions right and doesn't take away from your system.
    manual J tells you what "r" value you need? please explain this to me... i am curious
    If Guns Kill People, Do Pencils Misspell Words?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An2a1...eature=related

Before we work on artificial intelligence why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

Quote Originally Posted by gashog View Post
    I've been told unless the duct work is under your house (craw space) there's no need to insulate them. Any cooling or heating that comes off of them is in the house thus you have no heat/cooling lose
    if your duct is ini any un-conditioned space it needs to be insulated!! crawl space, attic, seal chase's within the structure. and even sometimes in conditioned spaces it is desirable to insulate the duct work.
    If Guns Kill People, Do Pencils Misspell Words?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An2a1...eature=related

Before we work on artificial intelligence why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

Quote Originally Posted by gashog View Post

Dont believe everyting you're told. Regarless of the source. As I have said before, I "have been told" how to correct my golf swing and now I'm no better if not worse than before. A visit with a true golf professional is the only way to make it right. Even though I have been playing for going on 35 years.