Question about filter/drier

A year or so ago, my son replaced his a/c in his condo. The lineset was burried, so the original was used. No problem as the replacement unit was an R22 unit.

About a 6" from the plenum, was brazed on a piece of new tubing connected to the liquid line, which terminated with a flared fitting and was connected to the coil.

There was no filter/drier installed, which I don't really have a problem with. My reasoning is as follows: The joint looked pretty clean, with a uniform dark coating along the joint. I wasn't there to note whether nitrogen purge was used. My assumption is that when a drier is brazed in place, there is one connection on the downstream side and therefore there is the potential that a poorly brazed joint could produce particles beyond the reach of the filter.

My only experience with f/d's involved brazed connections. Are there ones with flared fittings?

Is my reasoning correct?

Thanks.

AM

P.S., the year before, the furnace was replaced. Both units are major brands (admittedly, not the top of the line), and the installation looks pretty good to me. The contractor is one of the largest dealers for a major brand in the Philly/So. Jersey market.

I've seen plenty of lines w/o driers of course, but we always install one or replace the old one on changeouts. I can't remember ever installing a flared drier, but I seem to think I've seen them before. Maybe it's just my vivid imagination though...
    Tough times don't last...Tough people do.

Midnight Sun Astrophotography

Yes they do make driers with flare connections. And you'll get arguments from both sides, but I'm of the opinion that such a small amount of ash formed would have no effect on the system. With sweat in driers preferred and used 10 to 1 over flare in my area. And is usually located in or next to the outdoor unit.

some condensing units come with filter driers installed from the factory. look through the top grille, there might be one in there.

Quote Originally Posted by craig1 View Post
    some condensing units come with filter driers installed from the factory. look through the top grille, there might be one in there.
    Yes, check that. Some come with them to be field installed and some already in the condenser.
    Tough times don't last...Tough people do.

Midnight Sun Astrophotography

flare driers are more common in refrigeration but older Carrier condensers were done this way routinely....it doesn't matter one way or another

Flare or Braze doesn't really matter. But you need to make sure that the system has one. It is a very cheap insurance policy instead of plugging a metering device or damaging something else. I have seen and installed both they are the same as far as the system is concerned the compressor can't see what the connection is.

Quote Originally Posted by hedtedjr View Post
    Flare or Braze doesn't really matter. But you need to make sure that the system has one. It is a very cheap insurance policy instead of plugging a metering device or damaging something else. I have seen and installed both they are the same as far as the system is concerned the compressor can't see what the connection is.

I agree, but wouldn't it make sense to install it at the end of the liquid line, just before entering the coil?

AM

If there is one already in the condenser, you don't add another.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

i run across trane units that have a drier in the liquid line and the oe drier inside the condenser alot seems like techs and installers would know weather or not the unit they are installing has a internal drier

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    If there is one already in the condenser, you don't add another.

unless that's a muffler that you're seeing in there!

Then your not seeing a filter drier.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?