Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Run mastic over it and be done.
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

Quote Originally Posted by mlo1 View Post
    Soo...should I have them staple through the FSK tape as well?

I had originally asked about stapling and the techs were unable to find to a reverse cinch stapler. Weak, I know.
    They don't have an outward cinch stapler????
    I can't imagine any installer not having one, either their own or a company supplied one. It actually takes more time AND results in a poorer job if the insulation is not stapled before taping, lol.

Maybe it is just because of our hot Texas attics, but my experience with duct wrap tells me that you will have issues at some point if all that is holding it together is FSK tape.
    Tape made with paper doesn't do well, long term, in attics.
    Last edited by mark beiser; 03-14-2008 at 01:59 AM.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Quote Originally Posted by mlo1 View Post
    Soo...should I have them staple through the FSK tape as well?
    If they did that, they would then have to tape over the staples. The staples should have gone in before the tape.
    Staples hold the insulation together, tape's primary job is to seal the seam, helping hold the insulation on is just a secondary job.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

smokin68...would I just suggest a brushed coating of mastic like used on the duct joints? would not have thought it would stick to the radiant barrier...

I think the insualtion install is typically hacked. The techs obviously think I am a nuts! But I have seen the remnants of what happens with age and heat, though not familiar with FSK tape.

Thanks for comments.

You might be nuts,we don't know that. We all know this, it should have been stapled first.Time to make a call to the installing company.
    Last edited by the dangling wrangler; 03-14-2008 at 10:40 PM. Reason: typing at 75mph bouncing down the road

The brushed mastic is what they do here on insulated metal ducts......insulation and then the mastic to seal it.
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    They don't have an outward cinch stapler????
    I can't imagine any installer not having one, either their own or a company supplied one. It actually takes more time AND results in a poorer job if the insulation is not stapled before taping, lol.

Maybe it is just because of our hot Texas attics, but my experience with duct wrap tells me that you will have issues at some point if all that is holding it together is FSK tape.
    Tape made with paper doesn't do well, long term, in attics.
    Don't have one? What ?? ...Sounds like most of my helpers......If the wrap is not stapled, look out.
    Tough times don't last...Tough people do.

Midnight Sun Astrophotography

Quote Originally Posted by skippedover View Post
    This is not a good attitude, IMO. Duct tape is junk, pure and simple. Should NEVER be used on ducts. Each type of tape has its own characteristics and should be used accordingly. Treating them all as equals is a dire mistake and could be a reason an installer would be viewed as a 'hack' when someone esle sees the job after a year and it looks like a forest of stalactites hangin down from the ducts.
    I wasn't referring to all tape being equal. I was simply stating that tape is tape. It wears out. And when it does, get more put on. Not that the different types of tape are all the same.

And I agree. I wish all installers took the time to use the correct materials for the job and to complete the job as it should be done. I have seen a number of poor jobs and have also seen a number of quality jobs. I wish the ones doing poor work would emulate those doing quality work.

Quote Originally Posted by iraqveteran View Post
    I wish the ones doing poor work would emulate those doing quality work.
    If they can't buy the correct staple gun, then they should be run out of town at sun-down!!

Quote Originally Posted by the dangling wrangler View Post
    If they can't buy the correct staple gun, then they should be run out of town at sun-down!!
    If I had my way....they would. But then, it would be me installing and I don't particularly care for that. Most of them can't afford all the correct tools.

The cost of living here has skyrocketed and its to the point where I am no longer making money working. If anything, I am losing money on a week by week basis. Time to look elsewhere that will appreciate me more.

Quote Originally Posted by iraqveteran View Post

The cost of living here has skyrocketed and its to the point where I am no longer making money working. If anything, I am losing money on a week by week basis. Time to look elsewhere that will appreciate me more.
    Well,if it makes you feel any better, the same thing is happening in a lot of places. Meaning me too.

Quote Originally Posted by the dangling wrangler View Post
    Well,if it makes you feel any better, the same thing is happening in a lot of places. Meaning me too.
    I know its happening everywhere. And it sucks. It get harder and harder to get back in that van everyday knowing that I need to work overtime daily just to have a chance at breaking even.

Bout time to re-up and re-deploy. Thats where the money is.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12