Lightning and 2 stage vs variable?

I live in Houston where lightning is very frequent and I've already had one strike knock out almost everything in the house. So I'm concerned about adding anything electronic. Would I be better off with 2 stage heat? Aren't they controlled by relays, which are less likely to be damaged than the electronic speed control of a variable speed motor? Even if the 2 stage has timer controls, I'm hoping they would be easier and cheaper to replace.

Thanks,
    Tom

2 stage control boards are electronic. And seen many of them get taken out by lightning,

As long as you have home owners insurance, it shouldn't cost you anything to have fixed.

If lightning is common near you, you should have a whole lightning suppressor installed.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Unfortunately, my homeowners is about $5K so unless a lot of other stuff gets fried, it will be out of pocket expenses.

What about the ECM motor itself? Is it a simple design with several windings (perhaps as simple as a 3 phase motor which are used in VFD's - variable frequency drives)? Maybe not since I've read the motors alone are $600.

Tom

Basically its a DC motor. Very simple.
    Most motors that are replaced, aren't bad. The module is bad. But some contractors just replace both because they don't have the tester.

The modules are not as costly.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Thumbs up Good Idea

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    If lightning is common near you, you should have a whole lightning suppressor installed.
    This isn't a half bad idea. But just remember this. Lightning is an extremely powerful force. And in the end.....it doesn't matter what system you chose, what motors you have or what electronics are in it. If lightning hits it, theres gonna be damage and theres nothing you can do about it.

But a lightning suppressor or lightning rod may help.