+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Starting Out

Post Likes

Question Starting Out

Hello, New member to the board. I am trying to start out in the HVAC field but do not know how to go about doing it. Ive read on other posts that you should start out by going to a tech school or join a union. The problem with this is the only tech school that i have found in Maryland (where I live) is Lincoln Tech, which I have heard bad reviews about. Theres another one called TESST college but it is 20 thousand. I cannot find any unions close by either. Does anybody have any advice on what I should do. Should I try to join a local company, find a tech school in another state, etc. Also should I start out in Residential or Commercial ( if possible). Just looking for some advice. Thanks!

Post Likes
    Brent,
    You may want to consider relocating, most commerical companies will start you out as a tech helper if you have schooling. Unions pay great and have great training the only down side is that in some areas when the work slows you "sit the bench". You can get your EPA certification from a few places, schools, supply houses, and www.epatest.com - Just my 2 cents, Good luck

Post Likes
    My two cents is this, go to any stinking school, college schools are great but they go by semesters and it takes longer to get a certificate, Trade schools are faster, depending on your schedule or personal life if you go in the day full time you can get a certificate in about 9 months, I went to a trade school. Also if your going to be doing any kind of research then find out how much these schools cost, You should not have to pay any more then 9000.00 for school, i think i paid 8000.00 plus i had some help from my GI bill. If your paying any more then this then your a sucker for buying into the whole this school is better crap, all schools teach the same basic crap and its not like companies are going to hire you and start you off with high pay just because you paid 20,000.00, and from my experience companies dont give a damm what school you went to, all they care is that you have some sort of certificate that proves you know the basics such as what a compressor is, condensing coil, indoor coil, relays, etc. Good stinking luck.
    I will take a bullet for my Veto LC tool bag!

Post Likes
    remember, you get out of it what you put into it, meaning if you went to lincoln tech, if you study and ask questions when ya don't understand something, you will learn. I think these days they put the info out there for you.... learn it if you want, its not high school you pay to go so study study and study some more, go to the school and check it out for yourself get a tour of the school, but keep in mind they are there to make money,

when I went years ago they said you will earn 14$ an hour, reality it was 8$ an hour to start in around 1992

Post Likes
    Don't do it!

Post Likes
    Thanks for the advice guys. I guess from what everyone said that I should start out by going to a tech school. Im just going to have to find the right one i guess.

Post Likes

trade school

trade school is the best way . I had a job half way through a 2 year program
    went union as shop was and had to go to 4 more years to become a journeyman
    best thing i ever did.

Post Likes

schooling....

I would say go to ACCA school in Bel Air. It's a four year program, two nights a week, and you come out with your journeyman's once you have the hours. You have to be working in the field before your second year starts and it seems good so far. Just about finished my first year. Most companies that are enrolled in ACCA will pay for it for you. I think the cost is under $2000 per year and it's even lower if your company is tied in with ACCA.

Post Likes
    I found a local Community College offering night classes. After a couple of months of schooling I started applying and found someone willing to give me a chance in the first week. I have been working there for 3 weeks and I can tell you that the hands on really helps the book learning. Good luck.

Post Likes
    There are some good online sources for tech schooling. http://www.hvacreducation.net/ has been all right by me, so far... Find a good company to apprentice you.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in