90% tempstar (smart valve)

In 94 tempstar came out with the new style 90% furnace with the smart valve which had problems with the plug connection. Does anyone know when they switched to the new style (upgraded) valve?

Smart Valves

Not So Smart now are they, l beleive that the newer valve came out in 96 or 97 the connections had a weak board.

Tempstar used a "Smart Valve" up to the year 2006... The 90% Gas fired units, were mostly model N9MPN***B**A etc... there 80% units were also equipped with these. In 2006 I think that was the year, Tempstar found out that these so called smart valve was not the way to go. They then switched back to a regular 2 wire gas valve.

I can't recall the model numbers for back in 90's. but i do know that most of the time the plug that connects to the board would get week and have a bad connection. most would think it is the valve problem.

zseen

the valves came out and then they fixed them they were still in production but different valve number, they fixed the problem supposely did not quit using those just udated them.

I was hoping to find out what serial numbers had the old style and at what serial/year started receiving the newer model. Do you check for gas leaks on every call you go on even if there is no smell or complaint of gas and you didn't touch the gas.

Smile

I do. What happens if you leave the house and the next day they smell gas. Guess who it gets blamed on. It only takes a couple of minutes to sweep the furnace for gas leaks. And I explain to the customer that their safety comes first. I always get thanked for it.