Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Best value socket set brand?

HVAC and personal automotive use.

I like my 20+ year old craftman set, but the misc. replacements are a rip-off for price. [I am put-out with sears anyway]. I want a full set of all sizes, with extensions and u-joints, 6-point, break-over, 1/4 3/8 1/2 inch and metrics with a nice and durable ratchet. Usually has to be assembled after buying a big starter kit. Extra gizmos are for automotive/home use. And I want a same brand smaller kit for HVAC work. Probably wrenches too, time to retire the craftman set to the road-trip tool-kit.

I liked both of my basic husky sets [both $80 sets stolen] for hvac work. But I went to buy a third husky set for HVAC and all I found was the economy ratchet set, or ''black chrome''. I do not think I want black chrome,...

Any brand favorites that can make a vey complete set and do not require payment in gold bullion? I know I am going to spend alot in any case.

Always been a craftsman guy myself, but Husky and Kobalt (HD and Lowes brands) are actually really nice these days.

I have a Lowes within a mile of my house, so i've been ending up with more and more of thier tools over the last couple years.

I have never heard of ''Kobalt''. I will go to lowes and have a look-see, thanks.

I agree with Eallred that Craftsman socket sets are a great quality tool, but on the high end. You can find well priced sets at Auto-Zone (Duralast), Checkers Auto, and PepBoys. Hell, you need the set for light work, not disaasembling a Nascar engine. And if stolen, who cares.
    I will admit that I keep my Craftsman set nice and clean in the garage at home for the hard core work.

bought a mastercraft set from Menards, and they are surprisingly well built
    You can't fix stupid

i have husky, it was a gift from my dad, and its gettin on up in years for my liking... i like nice new CLEAN and durable tools. i think ill go with snap on next. i hear they are worth the money, but i only have a 3/8 ratchet i found in a unit once. feels great. and as far as wrenches, the best i have ever used are GearWrenches. love em to death and im about to get the metric set. happy hunting

I have an Kobalt socket set and I like it.I also have Klein wrenches and i like them better than any other combo wrench i have had in my hand.

I know a lot of mechanic types. It always cracks me up when I see they have a high dollar 1/4" drive socket set.

For the light duty stuff, the cheap stuff works great. I have craftsman rachets and sockets down to 3/8" in my garage, but my 1/4" socket set is the el-cheapo ones from Autozone.

I use a Husky ratchet wrench set in my tool bag. About $30 cheaper than craftsman and they definitly take a beating.

I like Proto

At my last company i quoted out a bunch of swamp coolers, they all got approved, made my company a bunch of money, they were happy and gave me a 100.00 gift certificate for home depot and i got the Husky set that has the black metric and standard set, there really nice and come in a sturdy case. I think the set was around 130.00
    I will take a bullet for my Veto LC tool bag!

I've got a mix of Proto, Craftsman and Husky..........all have held up well for several years now, some are in their second decade. They all live in the van and while not used everyday, are definitely used hard when needed.

When time comes for replacement, I think Proto is going to be the first choice.

Northern Industrial catalog has some nice stuff though.........

i need to get me a set of the gearwench index wrenchs or the shorty ones

I have pretty good luck with the Kobalt tools from Lowes myself

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast