Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Mexican Restraunts and your health

Should you eat at a Mexican restaurant? I think not at least not more than once a month. The food in the Mexican restaurants in the US is mostly fat and starch and some protien and very little vegetables and no fruit. Its worst than McDonald's or Burger King. At least their you can get a salad and they serve lettce and tomatoes on the hamburgers. The Mexicans have a high rate of colon and stomach cancer.
    "I could have ended the war in a month. I could have made North Vietnam look like a mud puddle."
    "I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them. It is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones that do violence to the Constitution."
    Barry Goldwater

Your description of fats and starches and protein and very few vegetables sounds like most chain restaurants, regardless of nationality. Think about the menu at Olive Garden or Applebees or any of those types of places. They all fit that description.

Quote Originally Posted by glennac8 View Post
    Should you eat at a Mexican restaurant? I think not at least not more than once a month. The food in the Mexican restaurants in the US is mostly fat and starch and some protien and very little vegetables and no fruit. Its worst than McDonald's or Burger King. At least their you can get a salad and they serve lettce and tomatoes on the hamburgers. The Mexicans have a high rate of colon and stomach cancer.
    Fajita's - stir fried chix with green peppers & onions - yum

Refried beans - not so bad

Salsa - lots of veggy content

Stay away from the sour cream, white rice and corn chips and it's not so bad.

Much better then big macs. Now I'm hungry again.

A place near my house has Grilled chicken and shrimp with squash and zucchini with a good queso. They have another dish or two using the squash and one that uses spinach. Good stuff.
    Never knock on Death's door. Ring the bell and run, he hates that.

Views expressed here are my own and not neccessarily those of any company I am affiliated with.

Quote Originally Posted by glennac8 View Post
    The food in the Mexican restaurants in the US is mostly fat and starch and some protien and very little vegetables and no fruit. Its worst than McDonald's or Burger King. The Mexicans have a high rate of colon and stomach cancer.

Thats interesting , other than the chips I was always thinking it was a little heathier than the burgers.

Now Im not saying less calories bbut I did think healther.

I pretty much live off meican food
    y

We have 1 taco bell in town. Other than that we have one real Mexican Resturant. "The Rattle Snake Cafe' " It makes some great tasting stuff. They have a taco salad that has to more healthy than some traditional restuarants.

My favorite is a place called Acapulcos, my favorite plate is the steak and shrimp plate, ittts sooo goood. Every time i go there i order the same thing because im too afraid that if i try anything else it wont be as good. I also like their margaritas.

I agree that Mexican food is fatning and it make woman turn into 4x4s, but just like everything else it takes a little self control to prevent from turning in to a fatty, I also have never ran into a Mexican restaurant that did not sell salads or fruit, all it takes is asking for the stuff and youll get it, and besides when was the last time that you went to Mc Donalds just to have a salad, please dont make me laugh.

A lot of ethnic food might not be healthy by a doc's standard but people don't like to be told what to eat.
    Look at soul food, Italian pasta carbs, Indian fry bread, classic French.
    Fat is flavor. The French will do larding of meat (injecting meat with lard) Refried beans use lard for flavor. Down south, bacon fat on the greens, Cajun gumbo

Moderation. People have mentioned that I don't eat much. I just tell them you never know when you'll be in combat. Of course I'm kidding them but I'm uncomfortable being full of food so I get to eat all the good stuff in moderation.

Salad? Oh ya, spinich salad with bacon grease and brown sugar!
    Tracers work both ways.

Quote Originally Posted by forged alloy View Post
    Refried beans - not so bad

Much better then big macs. Now I'm hungry again.
    Those things are about 50% LARD A heart attack waiting to happen, Eating the plate they come on is probably better for you.

They are pretty darn good though...............

Mexican food gives you cancer huh. Figures. Hell, anything thats good gives you cancer. Oh well, I will continue to gorge on it every couple weeks.

Why do all the bad things have to taste so good.

Thumbs up

how come all the things that taste so good are bad for you. netties in omaha has some good chili

Quote Originally Posted by refer guy View Post
    My favorite is a place called Acapulcos
    That place is very good. When I go to SoCal I eat at the one by Universal. El Torito, KING TACO, so many places.

There's another north of LAX on the road to Loyola,where they have 3 Senoras making fresh tortillas as you eat. I forget the name, though, across from a Ralph's.

You need to go to the barrio though, Boyle Heights

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast