Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by dash View Post
    I'm thinking the theater room air is being returned over the drop ceiling into the other area of the basement.

The fact that the return is too small,but the supply air doesn't diminish with the door closed,would lead me to think you'll need more supply air,to get it to heat as well as the other rooms.
    Had the HVAC contractor out today. He determined that they framed/drywalled over the connection from that cavity return to the actual return duct (which is luckily in unfinished space behind the theater room).

So it turns out the reason I get stale air and that the room doesn't heat well is the return isn't really doing anything. They will be coming out to make a repair.

Luckily they can just run an elbow from the return duct in the unfinished space to the top of the wall in that cavity. They'll cut a hole in the back of that wall -- coming from the other room (unfinished space) to complete the connection to the return.

They are also going to change out the 3 inch flex ducts to 6 inch flex ducts to give me more supply in the vents in the theater room.

Hopefully once I get adequate supply and an actual working return, the room will heat better.

Quote Originally Posted by gasguy View Post
    Did they remember to cut out the top plate?

Well I was right -- that return wasn't doing anything.

They messed up and closed the connection between that wall cavity and the return duct when they drywalled the room. They are coming back out to punch a hole into that cavity from the unfinished space on the other side to connect to the actual return duct.

Quote Originally Posted by dash View Post
    Agreed ,return looks too small.

What size supply ducts?

The supply air is going somewhere ,which could be part of your problem.What's above the drop ceiling,what might it be connected to??
    I'm having them come out next week to double the size of the return grill that you see pictured on the first page in this thread.

Should that help?

That most likely will not help as you can only get so much air to move up that wall. Looks like a 14x6 grill which should be all that space can handle.
    Its a good Life!

Quote Originally Posted by m kilgore View Post
    That most likely will not help as you can only get so much air to move up that wall. Looks like a 14x6 grill which should be all that space can handle.
    So what would help with what feels like stagnate, heavy air in that room (compared to other rooms on the same floor).

In other words, although the temperature is held at the set point, the air feels stagnant -- like not enough circulation.

Shouldn't a bigger return help? If not, what would help that?

Yes a larger return may help but just making the grille larger the way it is designed will not be a larger return air. Only so much air will go up that wall cavity. You may try adding another return air but as said zoning is the only way to go with a theater room. When you have people and equipment in there it will make the air stagnent.
    Its a good Life!

As they fix the return and add more supply, make sure the noise level of the air doesn't increase too much. I had to have mine redone twice to get it right. I have a supply running right at my projector which helps keep the projector fan from switching to high speed thus keeping the sound low. After you get the air right you might consider painting the ceiling to decrease the reflected light. Are the chairs Berklines? Theater looks great!

Quote Originally Posted by m kilgore View Post
    Yes a larger return may help but just making the grille larger the way it is designed will not be a larger return air. Only so much air will go up that wall cavity. You may try adding another return air but as said zoning is the only way to go with a theater room. When you have people and equipment in there it will make the air stagnent.
    We have zoning in there now (the basement is all one zone now, and the t-stat is in the theater room).

But I still feel the air is too heavy/stagnant. Temp holds fine though. I just think it lacks circulation.

Quote Originally Posted by Daltex View Post
    As they fix the return and add more supply, make sure the noise level of the air doesn't increase too much. I had to have mine redone twice to get it right. I have a supply running right at my projector which helps keep the projector fan from switching to high speed thus keeping the sound low. After you get the air right you might consider painting the ceiling to decrease the reflected light. Are the chairs Berklines? Theater looks great!
    Via the carrier zoning, I can set the airflow limits to help with that. I set it to medium (instead of the default of high) for the basement zone.

Yes, the chairs are berklines.

basement area probably does not get enough run time to circulate air enough for the closed room....

have you tried running the fan in on position when using the room?

Is your t-stat a humidistat or a regular t-stat? Does your system have a fresh air intake(outside air)? A fresh air intake would provide the fresh air the room seems to need while the humidistat would protect your investment...

Do you have temperature and humidity levels for the room measured?
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

Quote Originally Posted by smokin68 View Post
    Is your t-stat a humidistat or a regular t-stat? Does your system have a fresh air intake(outside air)? A fresh air intake would provide the fresh air the room seems to need while the humidistat would protect your investment...

Do you have temperature and humidity levels for the room measured?
    T-stat is infinity smart sensor (which is what carrier uses for zoning), which is connected to the main infinity thermostat in the dining room.

It displays the temp in the room, but the humidity is read at the main thermostat. No fresh air intake that I'm aware of.

Quote Originally Posted by t527ed View Post
    basement area probably does not get enough run time to circulate air enough for the closed room....

have you tried running the fan in on position when using the room?
    I tried, but I believe that with carrier zoning, that runs the fan in every zone -- so I don't get much air in the small basement zone from just the fan.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123