Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Odd AC situation--any suggestions?

Post Likes

Question Odd AC situation--any suggestions?

I have a rental property--- it's an older house--with one Apt. on first floor and another Apt. on second floor. Each Apt. has separate electric meters. The second floor Apt has 3 bedrooms and a living room. Currently, there is a window AC in the Living Room and a window AC in each of two bedrooms. THE 3rd BEDROOM IS WITHOUT AC. Unlike the Living room and the other two bedroom (that each have 2 windows), this bedroom has only one window--I can't put window AC in it for local fire code reasons (window must be unabstructed for fire escape reasons). So, with the living room and two bedrooms, I can cool those areas with a $300.00 window unit (for each area). However, with that 3rd bedroom, I can not simply install a window unit---- ALSO, for a lot of reasons, I can't cut a hole in an exterior wall of that 3rd bedroom and slide a wall AC into it. NOTE: there is a big attic above this bedroom---also, there is an outside wall That I could slide a wall AC unit into, BUT that exterior wall is in the bedroom's Closet!! Now, if there was such an AC system where I could put the unit in the closet wall---and pipe the cool air through the 2 foot deep closet to the bedroom---then great! ---I would get that system. OTHER FACTORS: I am aware that I could put an "cooling air handler" in the atic, and cool the bedroom by piping the cool air down from the bedroom ceiling --this approach would cost $2500.00+ (just to cool one bedroom)! Also, I am aware of mini split systems ---again $$$$ to cool one bedroom. QUESTION: Are there any suggestion of how I could cool that one bedroom and still keep the cost below $900.00? ---I would appreciate your help. ---Jaes.

Post Likes
    Portable A.C unit.

Post Likes
    It sounds as though someone has already explained the options to you but you don't like the price associated with a proper solution. So you come in a forum of professionals and ask how you can rig something??? I'm afraid you won't get much help with this one.
    mike

Post Likes
    It appears that your choice is to either spend the money for a mini-split or advertise it as a two bedroom apartment with storage space.

Post Likes
    hint room to room fan

Post Likes
    I strongly recommend a high eff.central air unit its a better choice, your power bills will ake up the cost diffrence!
    WARNING:IF YOU DON'T KNOW THEN DON'T DO, SO THOSE WHO KNOW WHAT YOU DIDN'T KNOW DON'T END UP UNDOING WHAT YOU DID SO IT COULD GET DONE RIGHT!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mikelcs View Post
    It sounds as though someone has already explained the options to you but you don't like the price associated with a proper solution. So you come in a forum of professionals and ask how you can rig something??? I'm afraid you won't get much help with this one.
    I'll second this opinion...
    We only want to do it, if we can do it right.

Post Likes
    portable unit wont do it and a room to room fan wont do it either... if you found someone that will do it for $2500. I would jump on it...we charge the same for a mini split as we do for a complete split...the least expensive minisplits you can get from a goodman dealer, but they are not as efficient or reliable as most other brands..if your going thru the expense anyway, i would pull the other window units out and do the entire home.

Post Likes

Talking you might know better than us...

i am partial to those mini splits, so i would do that... but if the money is too much, then get the window unit (they make small ones) and MAKE a place for it in the exterior wall. you wanna make an omelet?...then you gotta break some eggs

Post Likes
    Why won't a portable do it?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Why won't a portable do it?
    Don't you read?? Because he said so! He has been given almost every possible solution yet wants us to come up with a cheaper one...wtf?

Post Likes
    Lol...

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by nashobasales View Post
    Don't you read?? Because he said so! He has been given almost every possible solution yet wants us to come up with a cheaper one...wtf?
    He never said a portable wouldn't work or would cost too much. He didn't mention portables at all.

Now, to the OP. It sounds like a portable is your only option. Plus no cutting through ceilings or walls. You could get one to cool the entire apt., then sell the other window shakers to makeup some of the cost.
    We're awl pawthetic and kweepy and can't get giwrls. That's why we fight wobots.

Post Likes
    Lol...
    Glad you seen it as a joke. Sometimes on the net you type then realize it may sound different then you meant it. I wasn't sure how that came across.

Post Likes
    Ok here is what you do. You take some plastic tarps and duct tape them together and lay them out on the floor. Then you take some old used drain pipe, or PVC, or steal a bunch of those hamster tubes(note you will have to plug the holes with gum), and tie it all together and tape it to one edge of the tarp floor barrier. Now what you have is a whole floor drain pan. Be sure to rout your drain to the yard so you can watter your grass. Then go to Wallmart and get one of those lawn toys that has the giant sunflower head that whips around and sprays water all over. Hook it up to the garden hose(witch you will no longer need to water the lawn, see above). For added comfort you can add a shut off valve and clamp the hose to the floor by the entry door, this will allow the user to adjust the amount of cooling they feel comfortable with. If you need any examples of how to properly apply duct tape look up a duct tape expert known as the Red Green Show on Youtube.com

Good Luck
    Disclaimer: Graf Refrigeration can not be held responsible for damages to your property if you DIY, you should get a professional duct tape application co.
    I r the king of the world!...or at least I get to stand on the roof and look down on the rest of yall

Post Likes
    The smiley gave it away.

Chaad.
    The OP did say portable unit wont do it and a room to room fan wont do it either... .

He just didn't say why.

Post Likes
    The smiley gave it away.

Chaad.
    The OP did say portable unit wont do it and a room to room fan wont do it either... .

He just didn't say why.
    Actually Bell said that, I don't believe it was the op.

Post Likes
    I sit corrected.

Post Likes
    I sit corrected.
    Not much goes on around here this late at night...

Post Likes
    So, how do we know a portable won't do it? He could alway's rent one and try it out. Still say one could do an entire apt. and be done with the window shakers.
    We're awl pawthetic and kweepy and can't get giwrls. That's why we fight wobots.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in