Hmm Accumulator design

Sawzalled open an accumuator to confirm what I believed its true function and design were. Two items of interest to me were a wire mesh filter at the bottom curve of the pipe, for oil return I assume and one very tiny 16th of an inch hole in the inside tubing of the accumulator about 1/2 inch before the tubing exits the accumulator. Would someone please explain what this hole is for.

The hole on the upper part of the rod is used for safety, in case of excess liquid in the accumulator. The hole on the lower part of the inner rod ensures liquid expansion and return to the compressor of the oil that could be trapped inside the suction line accumulator.
    Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it.

I believe the hole is to facilitate oil return. This is done by a venture effect. And limits the amount of oil that enters due to the size.
    refrigeration workers of Ontario

Accumulator design

Thanks for the explanation, makes sence to me and will explain this to a friend of mine of whom I had been discussing its operation.

Here's a link to Parker's catalog of accumulators and receivers. It gives an oversite of their accumulators. With the exception of Trane and newer 13 seer Rheems and Weatherkings, most heat pumps use accumulators http://www.parker.com/literature/Lit...Pdf%202007.pdf

Accumulator design

Traildeaznutz, much appreciation for the info on the Parker accumulator, very informative.

Quote Originally Posted by deaztrailnutz View Post
    Here's a link to Parker's catalog of accumulators and receivers. It gives an oversite of their accumulators. With the exception of Trane and newer 13 seer Rheems and Weatherkings, most heat pumps use accumulators http://www.parker.com/literature/Lit...Pdf%202007.pdf

Good site.
    Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it.

Accumulator

Deaztrailnuts, noticed I put your name in wrong.