25 yr. heat pump

I'm about to purchase a condo with the original heat pump from 1983, GE Weathertron. I wish I had pics but the condensing unit is complete rust, a real eyesoar. I don't think the prior occupant used a filter cause the evaparator coil is completely gunked. I have no idea how, but the thing still works fine (measured a LAT of around 98 on a 45 degree day). Did I mention that it's about 100 yards from the ocean? I will be purchasing an appliance warranty first thing no doubt. What is the most likely method of failure I can expect from this thing?

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Old age!!!

Seriously,it's lasted far longer then most do ,and in a harsh enviroment.I'd plan on replacing it as soon as you can,just for the energy savings.

25 years old and 100 yards from ocean. Save your money with the warrenty and look into a new system. The warrenty co will more then likely kick out any clame because of this and the lack on service it has had

Yea, its out lasted many other heat pumps already that are no where near the ocean.

Replace it as soon as posible.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Beachy ought to be along soon...he can tell you what kind of life you should be able to expect from one of those...I would agree that the best advise is to save your money on the warranty and get yourself a new system...the money saved in efficiency alone would be worth it.
    I need a new signature.....

When looking for a new system look into a brand with salt water corrosion resistance.

Don't put it under the structure and give plenty of clearance on all sides for airflow and service.

Wash it off at least quarterly if not more with the hose.......that's probably how the last one has lasted as long as it has.

Replace the entire system not just the pump.

Those are the biggest problems I notice with the beaches in NC/SC

First, don't bother with a home warranty, they'll screw you when the time comes to repair or replace it

98° out doesn't tell much without knowing more. A barely functioning HP with dirty coil or other airflow restriction will put out warm air in warm weather.

Just plan on replacing soon although back then, they were built so much better than today.

The modern day equivalent is Trane/American Standard, nothing lasts longer in a salt air environment, the old GE's are one of the most reliable heat pumps ever produced.

Quote Originally Posted by Swampfox View Post
    The modern day equivalent is Trane/American Standard, nothing lasts longer in a salt air environment, the old GE's are one of the most reliable heat pumps ever produced.
    X2 I still work on alot of 30+ year old GE's tuff old units