Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Motorized Damper Issue

I have a room this fed heat and cooling through a duct that has a t-stat controlled motorized damper built into it. The Damper is the "Normally Opened" version. Here is a link to it.

http://www.suncourt.com/ZoneMasterPro.html

I could have used the "Normally Closed" version and the problem I am about to describe would go away. I chose the "Normally Opened" version b/c the I estimate that 90% of the time, the damper will need to be opened.

The problem is that all t-stats I find work on the assumption that I am using a "Normally Closed" damper. Thus, for it to work properly for me, I need to put the t-stat in the "COOL" setting in the winter and "HEAT" in the summer. Obviously this is non-intuitive and not a preferred solution.

So, the options I see are 1.) Replace the damper w /the Nomally closed version. 2.) Live w/ the funky t-stat situation 3.) Find a t-stat that works in reverse from the way all the others do [NOTE: I have yet to find such a t-stat].

Other ideas? Anone know of such a "reverse" t-stat?

BTW, all work being done is by a pro.

Universal relay. Common, N.O., N.C. contacts (pretty easy)

Quote Originally Posted by HVAC Teacher View Post
    Universal relay. Common, N.O., N.C. contacts (pretty easy)

Sorry...I don't know what you are trying to tell me here. Can you elaborate or point me to a link that has more info.....

The "Pro" will know the answer, other wise hire a real pro.
    If all else fails....Try reading the directions!

Tell it like it is and let the chips fall where they may.

Any views or opinions stated here are strictly my own.

Quote Originally Posted by plain spoken View Post
    The "Pro" will know the answer, other wise hire a real pro.

I would prefer to get an answer from the "pros" on this board before I speak to mine. I have found this approach to be most effective. If you prefer not to answer my question, that is your choice, but I don't see why I should not solicit ideas from this board before speaking to my guy.

I just gave you the answer.

Can't tell ya how to wire it. (no DIY)

Any good service tech will know what I am saying.

If you want to buy another damper, its you choice.

I am not asking you tell me how to wire it. And as I stated in my original post, this is NOT a DIY job.

In regards to the wiring solution you suggest, is it a modification within the t-stat or outside the t-stat? Will it allow me to keep the t-stat in the heat mode in the winter? Is this "universal relay" a special part or is it a wiring schema of some sort?

Universal relay is a very cheap part that can reverse the action of your damper.

Universal relay is a very cheap part that can reverse the action of your damper.
    i think he has tried to squeeze info from you, (but it aint working)

he needs to realize that he can burn up a bunch of parts by doing himself

if he wants to learn how to do it he may need to take a couple hvac classes

or just call a (capable) tech!

The part is cheap, but putting it in an enclosure, and wiring it probably isn't.

My sad experience has been that finding a knowledgable tech or even an electrician that has enough smarts to wire it up is going to be difficult as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Airmechanical View Post
    i think he has tried to squeeze info from you, (but it aint working)

he needs to realize that he can burn up a bunch of parts by doing himself

if he wants to learn how to do it he may need to take a couple hvac classes

or just call a (capable) tech!

So now you are calling me a liar!!!! Do you want the number of my pro so you can call him yourself and confirm that I hired him to install a 2 unit system. One 4-Ton HP and one seprate 4-ton AC unit (for a total of 8 tons) w/ kick-starts, including installing a new sub-panel, new ducts (retro-fit), and two rooms with the supplies controlled by motorized dampers. Job is done now (finished today). So far, the system runs like champ, well balanced, sized correctly, quiet, etc..

As for the motorized damper question, he ended up modifying the damper to be "Normally Closed". He is happy to come back and do the relay solution if I want him to (and change it back to "Normally Open"), but he did not have the parts to do it today. I am undecided right now if I will have him change it.

Glad I had the job done by a real pro, not a supposed pro who accuses homeowners of being liars w/ no basis to do so. If you want the number of the pro, e-mail me and I will gladly provide it.

Meanwhile, I suggest that any potential customers in Cookeville, Tennessee steer clear of AirMechanical. He may get paid for the work he does, but based on his baseless accusations, I would say his behavior is far from professional.

BTW, thanks to the pros on this board who offered constructive comments. They were appreciated and helpful.

You should just get the other damper.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by ivanl3 View Post
    but based on his baseless accusations
    you were already told about having a relay installed, then you expected diy info

is its baseless to tell you if you want to really learn about hvac then take some hvac classes?

is it baseless to tell you to call a capable tech?

is it baseless to warn you about burning up costly parts?

there is a tight group of capable technicians on this website

we dont give step by step info to diy'ers

i hope you feel better about trying to slander my company

i wont lower myself and get up into your buisness and talk smack about what you do for a proffesion!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast