Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Any Frigidaire AC experts here

Post Likes
    You need to call a qualified servicer. If all 8 switches are up, or on, than you are all messed up. switches 1 -4 are for cooling. 5-6 are for the amount of KW heat you have . Switch 7-8 are your dehumid delay settings. If all switches are set properly,(which are not), and if a humidistat is wired across the HUM terminals of your PCB, than when the humidity rises above desired setting , the blower will ramp down to 75 % of the selected cooling CFM. Which in this case would be 400 CFM , and 75% would be 300 CFM. The model you have has this capability, and you need a QUALIFIED servicer to take care of it. Keep in mind that any adjustments made to an ECM with power applied can and will scramble the programing in the motor.
    Sound installation practices is the key to success. Equipment is only as good as the person installing it.

If I can't fix it, it ain't broke.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Post Likes
    Luis ,No offense,but wasn't it the neighbor ,who's an installer,not a contractor that sold and installed this??

"Guys thank you for your HELP and professional responses. I finally got a system installed. I spoke to so many people i was confused and in the other end i was freaking cold.

I ended up with a neighbor friend who installs systems everyday and he recommended a Frigidaire 4 ton heat pump with a variable speed furnace at 14 seers. I had a 3.5 ton tempstar for the last 5 years.

He did a wonderful job with the install and i put my trust in him with his advice on what system to get. He was very pleased with the new frigidaire untis. I could have got a trane, rheem, or carrier but ended up with what my installer recommended and relied on his experience.

Now I had a Vision Pro 8120 with my Tempstar and would like to know if I can use a Vision Pro 8121 to take advantage of its dehumdification settings.

Please let me know as I will ask him as well, i should have and forgot."

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dash View Post
    Luis ,No offense,but wasn't it the neighbor ,who's an installer,not a contractor that sold and installed this??

"Guys thank you for your HELP and professional responses. I finally got a system installed. I spoke to so many people i was confused and in the other end i was freaking cold.

I ended up with a neighbor friend who installs systems everyday and he recommended a Frigidaire 4 ton heat pump with a variable speed furnace at 14 seers. I had a 3.5 ton tempstar for the last 5 years.

He did a wonderful job with the install and i put my trust in him with his advice on what system to get. He was very pleased with the new frigidaire untis. I could have got a trane, rheem, or carrier but ended up with what my installer recommended and relied on his experience.

Now I had a Vision Pro 8120 with my Tempstar and would like to know if I can use a Vision Pro 8121 to take advantage of its dehumdification settings.

Please let me know as I will ask him as well, i should have and forgot."
    dash,

the neighbor is a licensed installer and does allot of systems in the neighborhood. He used the vision pro that was in use by my Tempstar.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Luis-Pasco View Post
    dash,

the neighbor is a licensed installer and does allot of systems in the neighborhood. He used the vision pro that was in use by my Tempstar.
    Again,no offense,but no one licenses installers,in Florida,he would need a Contractors License.Did he pull a permit and have the job inspected?

Post Likes
    Again,no offense,but no one licenses installers,in Florida,he would need a Contractors License.Did he pull a permit and have the job inspected?
    No sir, he told my wife and I one was not needed as it would be a easy swap. So you are saying i needed one .

What really sucks is i have a 5 years labor warranty with this guy.

Post Likes
    Unfortunately, some contractors install VS blowers, and have no idea how to set them up.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by TMH58 View Post
    You need to call a qualified servicer. If all 8 switches are up, or on, than you are all messed up. switches 1 -4 are for cooling. 5-6 are for the amount of KW heat you have . Switch 7-8 are your dehumid delay settings. If all switches are set properly,(which are not), and if a humidistat is wired across the HUM terminals of your PCB, than when the humidity rises above desired setting , the blower will ramp down to 75 % of the selected cooling CFM. Which in this case would be 400 CFM , and 75% would be 300 CFM. The model you have has this capability, and you need a QUALIFIED servicer to take care of it. Keep in mind that any adjustments made to an ECM with power applied can and will scramble the programing in the motor.
    Well i called around becuase i think my best option now is to find an authorized Frigidaire tech and help me fix my problem. The only problem is no one is available until next week because the 2 guys i found are all booked. I guess I iwll at least set the dip switches correctly per the manual until someone can look at it.

Does this explain why my electric bill is high?

I am going to set the switches per dash's recommendation of 350cfm per ton.

Post Likes
    What really sucks is i have a 5 years labor warranty with this guy.
    Is this a warranty you paid him for or is a manufacturer warranty?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianf View Post
    Is this a warranty you paid him for or is a manufacturer warranty?
    After checking the frigidaire site it looks like the 5 year customer pledge warranty covers labor as well. Thank god, that means i can get another tech to work on my syastem if the need arises.

I also powered down the heat pump and the ac furnace and changed the switches to 1 on 2 of 3 on 4 off 5 and 6 off since i only have a 4.8kw heat strip. 7 and 8 to on for dehumidification.

I will run it like this until i can find a good tech i will stick with. I also ordered a honeywell iaq thermostat to replace my current vision pro.

I did notice the furnace blower is way quietter with these settings.

Thanks to you all and today i am happier than yesterday. It is very hard to find the right person to hire to do this type of work. Some people are honest and some are not.

Post Likes
    "Thanks to you all and today i am happier than yesterday. It is very hard to find the right person to hire to do this type of work. Some people are honest and some are not."

Luis, didn't you hire him to do this on the side? You set the bar for honesty perhaps you were both trying to cheat.

Post Likes
    "Thanks to you all and today i am happier than yesterday. It is very hard to find the right person to hire to do this type of work. Some people are honest and some are not."

Luis, didn't you hire him to do this on the side? . th trying to cheat.
    Where did you get your info from? Did i say anywhere in my thread that i tried to cheat, NO. I didn't cheat because if i paid someone near 6g's is cheating please help me out here. He does this work daily and i hired him to do the work for me. I am a Network engineer and don't know squat about ac's. I put my trust in him and I was out of town for 2 days when my ac was getting installed. So my wife cut him the check.

1. I called around and was able to get 4 techs to come out to my house and give me quotes. In those 4 quotes the ac guy that lives in my neighborhood was one of the 4 quotes.

2. I was under a time constraint as my fish in my saltwater aquarium were dying and corals so i had to make a quick decision. Also at the time it was freezing at night and hot during the day. So again i needed to make a quick decision as my wife was not a happy camper at the time.

3. I chose the neighbor who is a licensed whatever and has his own company that is family owned. The reason why i chose him was the other 3 techs that came out wanted to do it fast and wanted to give me a 5 ton unit without doind any types of calcs. The neighbor was the most logical person and only suggested to go from a 3.5 ton to a 4 ton.

Post Likes
    Luis said "I ended up with a neighbor friend who installs systems everyday and he recommended a Frigidaire 4 ton heat pump with a variable speed furnace at 14 seers. I had a 3.5 ton tempstar for the last 5 years."

If your neighbor friend is a licensed air conditioning contractor please accept my apologies. But if he's just another side work HACK then look at the bright side you got a good deal.

Did a heatload confirm the need to increase the unit capacity. Was the duct sized for the increase in air flow? Did the TSP get checked after the system was installed and running? Your aggression would be better served on the neighbor friend.

Post Likes
    Luis said "I ended up with a neighbor friend who installs systems everyday and he recommended a Frigidaire 4 ton heat pump with a variable speed furnace at 14 seers. I had a 3.5 ton tempstar for the last 5 years."

If your neighbor friend is a licensed air conditioning contractor please accept my apologies. But if he's just another side work HACK then look at the bright side you got a good deal.

Did a heatload confirm the need to increase the unit capacity. Was the duct sized for the increase in air flow? Did the TSP get checked after the system was installed and running? Your aggression would be better served on the neighbor friend.

LOL, i am not taking it out on you my apologies if you thought that.
    Man you are in my backyard. I can hire you to fix it... lol If you want to call me to talk further my # is . It is easier talking than typing.
    Last edited by jrbenny; 03-15-2008 at 09:35 AM.

Post Likes
    Don't spend the extra money on an IAQ t-stat. The t-stat you have does everything you need. The dehumidification settings in your air handler plus your current 8000 will do everything you are looking for.
    SRJ

Post Likes
    Already having an 8000 series stat, he may not want to invest the money in an IAQ.
    But we found that using the IAQ, works better then using the slow ramp up.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Already having an 8000 series stat, he may not want to invest the money in an IAQ.
    But we found that using the IAQ, works better then using the slow ramp up.

Heck i already invested 6g's what is a couple hundred more at this point. If oyu say it is worth it and obviously have the knowledge then i will get one. I noticed since i changed the dip switches for 1400 cfm the blower is quiet as a mouse and i do not feel the pressure from the vents as before. Is that a good thing?

Also do i need to keep the blower on auto or on 24/7.

Post Likes
    Heck i already invested 6g's what is a couple hundred more at this point. If oyu say it is worth it and obviously have the knowledge then i will get one. I noticed since i changed the dip switches for 1400 cfm the blower is quiet as a mouse and i do not feel the pressure from the vents as before. Is that a good thing?

Also do i need to keep the blower on auto or on 24/7.
    IMHO,yes 1400 cfms isgood,for your area.if you choose to leave it on 24/7 ,I hope it's on a lower speed.The wet coil will add humidity back to the house,some systems ,shut down to let the water drain from the coil,but your's isn't one of them.

Post Likes
    IMHO,yes 1400 cfms isgood,for your area.if you choose to leave it on 24/7 ,I hope it's on a lower speed.The wet coil will add humidity back to the house,some systems ,shut down to let the water drain from the coil,but your's isn't one of them.
    Dash,

Thanks I will leave it with the dip switches set where their at now at 1455 cfms. I have a frigidaire expert coming next week to look over the system just to double check.

Post Likes
    If it maintains the humidity at 1400 CFM, then you don't "need" to upgrade to the IAQ.

One of the advantage of the IAQ, is that if humidity gets exceeds set point it slows the blower. If the humidity is below set point, it lets the blower run at at its normal speed.
    Another of course is the cool to dehumidify. On those days when A/C isn't needed much, buth the humidity is high.

Most homes don't have high humidity when its close to design outdoor temp, so the blower doesn't need to run slower. With the IAQ it lets the blower ramp to set speed quicker, instead of taking 7 or 8 minutes.

Post Likes

Dash can you do me a huge favor and delete my cell # from post # 33.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in