Convection Oven
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Convection Oven

Convection Oven

Any of you guys used the Convection oven to do a Roast in it? I got myself a new stove last Jan, and I love how it bakes, and did a roast beef in it last week, and it turned out pretty dried... :-(

I don't recall what temp I started off on, but have read start high, and that will sear the meat and drop the temp..

any roast i do i usually start off at 450-500 deg with the blower on for 10-15 minutes to sear it shut then cut off blower and drop temp down to 300 or less till temp comes up to within about 10 deg of done. remove from oven and it will finish off by itself.

Did you have it on a rack or what?? I like my roast fall apart tender! :-)

I do roasts in a Cast iron pot
    sitting on a trivet
    to keep it out of the grease, with no lid, and no water, just surrounded by hot air. Just like Grandma's roast. My wife crock pots hers, basically boils it. I prefer my method by 100,000,000,000%
    Yes, that is 100 billion percent!
    Last edited by spotts; 03-10-2008 at 04:21 PM.
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

Quote Originally Posted by mayguy View Post
    Did you have it on a rack or what?? I like my roast fall apart tender! :-)
    i always roast on a rack, don't like greasy meat........

Quote Originally Posted by t527ed View Post
    i always roast on a rack, don't like greasy meat........
    Ok, I did mine on a rack too, maybe with the fan on all the time dried it out... I'll try your trick next time around.

I cant give advice on a convection oven. I've cooked on a 1947 O'Keefe and Merrit gas range for the last 20 years.
    Just sold it with the house. Going convection soon! Great post.
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

would have taken that with me...

not for everyday cooking but maybe for the basement......

Wow, that's an old timer.. Is that a double oven in there? If not, bet it's hard to make a meal for Thanksgiving!

Oven on the right, broiler on the left. It's a 42" stove. Has pilots for the upper burners but the oven and broiler are "Light with match". I'll really miss that stove. Dual upper burners You can adjust only the little center burner or both at once. Theres enen a removable tray under each burner and in front of the griddle to catch what falls through and you can dump it. Convertable top can be set up like a spice rack
    or cover the burners for a clean look.
    Oh, and dont forget the grillevator!
    It IS definately for everyday cooking.
    Walter Matthau

Wow that is some stove there Spotts. You have some great stuff that you have restored at you home.

So I take it that the house has been sold???? Have you found a new place yet? Are you trying to get closer to town?

Yea, it's sold, I'll be homeless on Apr 11. Trying to buy a forclosure, [steal] and it's taking a little time.
    Walter Matthau

Quote Originally Posted by mayguy View Post
    Any of you guys used the Convection oven to do a Roast in it? I got myself a new stove last Jan, and I love how it bakes, and did a roast beef in it last week, and it turned out pretty dried... :-(

I don't recall what temp I started off on, but have read start high, and that will sear the meat and drop the temp..
    Have had a convection oven for a couple of years. I use the convection setting for breads/cakes/pies. Use the convention method for meats. Yes, I believe without a lid on the pan, it will dry out the meat. Hope this helps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast