Rheem modulating furnace versus Honeywell HTH8320U1008

Thanks, guys, for the great help on my previous thread.

My HVAC guy got back to me, he said he was planning on using a Honeywell HTH8320U1008 to control the dual-fuel setup of my old Rheem 13 SEER and new Prestige 90 Series LPG furnace. While it looks like a nice thermostat, what little I got could google on it said nothing about "contour comfort" or modulating furnaces.

He said he would check out the Rheem model RHC-TST401MDMS I suggested. There's still time to switch gears on this. I'm leaning towards the Rheem, if only because I hate my current Honeywell thermostat so much. You probably know the type- the instructions say, when finished programming, hit "run program". On the other hand, if you're programming and need to cancel out, hit "run program." How it know?

Anyway, given the HP/LPG setup I'm getting, will the Honeywell give me as much economy and ease of control as the Rheem?

The Honeywell CAN NOT modulate the Rheem mod.
    If you use the Honeywell thermostat, your mod will become a 3 stage furnace, not a modulating furnace. Defeats the purpose of getting the mod furnace!

Get the mod stat.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Thanks, beenthere! Again you're there for me with the facts.

My pro got back to me and agreed to use the Rheem, said his supplier normally didn't carry it but they got him one anyway. ?? I don't know how middle-men work in this business. He said it was $75 more but he would absorb the cost. I offered to pay the difference, but he refused.

I'm a little nervous that I'm now outside of his usual realm of expertise- he obviously has never installed this thermostat before- but he's done right by me so far, and I'll have an all-Rheem system (well, except for the humidifier), and he's an authorized Rheem dealer, so warranty service should be problem (knock on wood).

Thanks again especially to all the Pro's on this forum who help us customers out.

-HF

If you're in central Maryland, the distributor sells a ton of those thermostats. If your guy has difficulty setting up the stat, all he has to do is call "Mike".

Maybe, its a different central maryland.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by docholiday View Post
    If you're in central Maryland, the distributor sells a ton of those thermostats. If your guy has difficulty setting up the stat, all he has to do is call "Mike".
    Thanks, he's got the stat and the install is on schedule. His plumber put in a gas hookup and manifold for me today, and it's a thing of beauty. I'm reserving the right to put in a gas range and/or fireplace in the future. Not for energy savings, just because I wanna.

-HF
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by hangfirew8 View Post
    Thanks, he's got the stat and the install is on schedule. His plumber put in a gas hookup and manifold for me today, and it's a thing of beauty. I'm reserving the right to put in a gas range and/or fireplace in the future. Not for energy savings, just because I wanna.

-HF
    I don't see the photo???

great choice on the mod furnace you will love it
    mine has been great this winter