+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Accouting Software

Post Likes

Accouting Software

Hello,

I run a small HVAC company and am looking for a good service-industry friendly accounting/invoicing software. Something that runs on a tablet as well. My goal is to move away from paper invoicing and have all our billing, tracking, budget, expenses etc. online.

I currently use Quickbooks to run my business but I know there are more adaptable and tailored software specifically for service companies. I have heard good things about Freshbooks, and another HVAC contractor I know uses Mpengo Service Call. If anyone is familiar with it, it's a pretty sweet service app which lets you handle everything online from billing to customer management and basic accounting (no paper invoicing etc.) (FYI Mpengo Service Call is only available for the iPad which we do not have and I have no interest in going to purchase 5 new iPads for my technicians).

I like the idea of Freshbooks because it is cloud based and apps are available for all platforms. I have also heard people use Xero and ESC for small business in the service industry. Before I commit to a monthly subscription for one of these products I would just like feedback from other HVAC business owners on which programs work well.

Thank you.

Post Likes
    Bumping this to the top. Contemplating changing myself on tge 1st of the year. Anyone have any suggestions??? Thanks in advance

Post Likes
    Desco

Post Likes
    Esc by desco is great and is what we use. We're up around 20 techs including our sheet metal guys and we all use it. Only thing is to get it going you'll want to make sure you have a dedicated server to run it on as without that it crashes a lot. We initially had it on one of the computers used by our office staff and it was terrible. Since updating to a dedicated server there have been zero problems

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    I use Mpengo Service Call. I works great, the best thing is that up can attach pictures and it keeps up with the tech hours to.
    you can copy and paste the invoice to quickbooks..... saves a lot of typing. lol

Post Likes
    You could go to a cloud based system and use it any where. We are still using a 2006 version of MYOB, all we ever got out of upgrades was a prettier interface. Personally I do not like to put our financial info on the cloud.

Post Likes
    So you still use quickbooks with esc and/or Mpengo? Now im using Workingpoint. I use it for accounting and invoices.

Post Likes
    I have been using QB since the 70's. I had to upgrade in 2008 when I went to Vista.
    I think it is a 32 bit and I am using it with win 7 64 bit.

Post Likes
    I actually have not utilized Freshbooks, but have checked it out.

Here is the consideration.

You mentioned 5 Service Techs, already utilizing QBs. Obviously not married to QBs. Are you looking into an All in One solution that can do it all or one that you can introduce modules that may integrate with QBs if you choose to keep it? Mobile is hard because not all are able to work in areas without cell service. With that said, I also have another concern--capturing data correctly. There are some working towards having a decline or accepted repair, searchable database for you, but simply invoicing is probably not your true desired need, otherwise you could just use QBs.

I have not found the single silver bullet of software out there. There are some who are close, still working and moving things forward. For the record, for those below, QB access is for the few you give access to, the others never see it.

I'm just going to list a few in no particular order, because your wish list has not given me much information to help guide.

Acowin by team management with Acotruck. Requires QBs as your accounting software.
    ESC by Desco. You can use their accounting or variety of other accounting packages.
    Service Titan. Requires QBs to my knowledge, and I have heard of hiccups of adopting.
    Picture Perfect Pricing. So customizable you can remove some of the functionality from misconstruing how to use--I like that part, but I would just suggest understanding how to build a database before you go overboard. Evolving, and quickly. Requires QBs integration.

When I considered TOM from Atropa, they did not have connectivity issues figured out but I hear they have changed directions and are tackling it. Would, should like to see it in action as I did find TOM to be a good software.

The others the deficiencies for our Wish List just left them out of the equation as we have grown. When first opened our doors, I utilized Blue Folder with is now I think Packet Trap and owned by Dell. Integrated with QBs and served our purposes at the time.

From management standpoint, capturing of acceptance, declines, building data base that can be mined is huge. The field likes ESC because they can utilize the microphone function--not have to type on that awkward qwerty. They are actually getting pretty good at taking pictures and attaching too.

Post Likes
    I started using Acowin with the Acotruck and on call modules since Jan 1 and I love it. No invoices to write out, no paper to push from desk to desk. I'm still learning everything I can do with it but so far I could not be happier. Oh yeah and their tech support is awesome. It is not inexpensive but neither are any of the other systems.

Post Likes
    We use Total Office Manager (field service management software) by Aptora. It's a great program for accounting, dispatching, inventory, sales reports, job costing, etc. I don't have to use more than one software program to manage my company and we love it. They also have a mobile add-on so technicians can access everything they need to in the field.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in