Angry Multiple Problems with new Bryant Heatg & Coolg System

Have just registered with this site because I’m having numerous problems with my newly-installed Bryant “high efficiency” 355 BSV060 2-stage furnace, with CAPVU6024ACA Heating/Cooling coil, and 286ANA060 16 SEER Heat Pump. Nothing is working satisfactorily. Apologies if this is too long-winded.

This system went in as an upgrade to an existing house last July. First problelms were icing up of the cooling coil forcing me to run the fan continuously to promote defrosting and causing a flood of water down onto the furnace. Also had problems with the circuit breaker tripping out. Also had problems with System Malfuntion - Low Pressure Lockout.

Going into heating season, around November I just went to “Furnace Only” mode through the winter. Lately, with things warming up here in Ohio, I went back to Hybrid Heat to utilize the heat pump. Right off the bat – “Low Pressure Lockout” malfunction. Service tech added some (not much) refrigerant. System fan OK for 2 – 3 days, then went to auxiliary heat because of below 30deg weather. Got above 30 today (5 days fr sevice visit) and it “Low Pressure” locked out again.

Additonally, through the winter, since Thanksgiving, have had seven (7) furnace failures due to “Code 31) – pressure switch failing to close or opening during high heat demand. On one occasion there was frost in the outside inlet (from the nearby discharge of the moist combustion exhaust). On all other occasions it was necessary (only) to turn off the electric supply, then back on to reset the furnace. (Why didn’t Bryant design it to periodically retry the combustion cycle? As it is, we cannot leave this house for any wintertime vacation with any confidence that the furnace will not shut off.)

Now, there are probable reasons for these problems - - (1) the existing ductwork is too small to pass sufficient air to prevent icing during cooling season (I use a coarse fiberglas filter). (2) the existing electrical supply to the heat pump is too small (30 amp, and the plate on the heat pump says 33.3 amp minimum). (3) the existing combustion air piping (from the previous Bryant system, installed before the house was enlarged, before we bought it) is only 2” diameter – the Bryant book seems to call for 3” piping).

It appears that: (1) a new return air duct, at least, should be run to the furnace, (2) the electric line should be upgraded to #8 wire with 40 amp breaker, (3) the combustion air piping should be enlarged to 3” diameter. Fine - - who should pay for it? When the dealer (a respectable company, not a bottom feeder – memeber of BBB, no complaints) wrote the contract they gave themselves an out: Install and “adapt to the existing supply and return ducting and plenums, and to the existing vent and wiring.” I don’t know it they knew the existing systems were inadequate; they didn’t state that they were; as just a simple homeowner, there’s no way I could know that.

So what should I expect of this (reputable) company by way of correction?

Call them back with a list like you have here and have them fix it. If they are a reputable company they will. The system not functioning properly could result in a short life span for your new investment.

Quote Originally Posted by Evolutionizer View Post
    Call them back with a list like you have here and have them fix it. If they are a reputable company they will. The system not functioning properly could result in a short life span for your new investment.

I agree, you seem pretty sharp and knowledgable soo I would definitly inform them that corrections need to be made per the contract.