+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Carrier Touch Pilot Question

Post Likes

Question Carrier Touch Pilot Question

Any one faniliar with Carrier's Touch Pilot. Does it need the Carrier CCn software to operate with the Carrier CCn controller. I would like to install a Touch Pilot on a existing CCn controller that has no building software, so that I can do changes to individual vav boxes. Right now their's now way to make any changes to any zones.

Post Likes
    No software required. You can use it as is. It is a little painful to use however. I have put together a few with 3 9v batteries in a case to allow some of our tech's to access system even though they don't have a laptop. It's a cheap alternative for the guys that don't need it everyday. I tried to comission a system with one and by the end I was pretty good with it, but it's not easy to use
    refrigeration workers of Ontario

Post Likes

Smile Touch Pilot Help

Thanks for the help. I'll run it by my customer . They have 2 50 ton package units on the roof and about 20 vav's and 15 ht boxes

Post Likes
    For that size of an equipment package I would recommend a computer with comfortview on it. They will find it much easier to use and you can provide them a nice graphic to go with it.

Post Likes
    Hey superheat are you referring to the system pilot or the touch pilot LID?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by guy787north View Post
    I have put together a few with 3 9v batteries in a case to allow some of our tech's to access system even though they don't have a laptop.
    Some devices will power the pilot from the RJ-25 service jack like a 6400, 1600, UC & 3V Zone. Others will not like CID's [New style & older style] & 3V bypass. These are the devices I have verified. I have also gotten power from some chiller service jacks, but dont recall the model numbers.

I use my system pilot as a service tool so I dont have to drag the laptop out and is great for addressing new installs. If you need the pin connections, let me know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qui-Gon Jinn (Star Wars Episode 1)
    "The ablilty to speak does not make you intelligent!"

Post Likes
    For that size of an equipment package I would recommend a computer with comfortview on it. They will find it much easier to use and you can provide them a nice graphic to go with it.
    The CCNWeb would also be a good alternative and would save on the cost of creating graphics.

Post Likes
    Balibe: I didn't realize the pilot could be powered by the rj-25 plug. Yes if you could give me the pin configuration I will forward it on to my guys. I don't use the pilot myself, except as a time clock. I have my laptop out most of the day anyways and can web into most system's I look after.

Post Likes

Touch Pilot Help

Im' looking at putting in a Touch Pilot since it can handle 50 devices verses the System Pilot that only handles 32. I have about 15 vav's and the rest 24 parrellel heaterboxes.

Post Likes
    as far as i know the touch pilot should attach itself to the devices you have ,started up 2 chillers today i will test it for sure tomorrow....the chillers had the touch pilot on them as their local interface device

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by thegoodlistener View Post
    as far as i know the touch pilot should attach itself to the devices you have ,started up 2 chillers today i will test it for sure tomorrow....the chillers had the touch pilot on them as their local interface device
    Depends on how there are configured. The ones on your chillers will connect directly, however if you are using one on a CCN bus then it needs to be set for that and then you can attach to each controller on that bus. I've installed several and they work great, the only draw back is that you have to 'Attach' to the controller in question, check your points, then 'Attach' to the next one and so on. For a customer interface they are much more user friendly than the sys pilot with it's Nintendo game-boy style buttons! And FYI, a 'tap' on the screen works better than a 'touch'.

Post Likes
    Yeah i use my pen seems to help too.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by superheat3211 View Post
    Im' looking at putting in a Touch Pilot since it can handle 50 devices verses the System Pilot that only handles 32. I have about 15 vav's and the rest 24 parrellel heaterboxes.
    Either Pilot will attach to unlimited number of devices. There is a list in the Attach Table that will save the device name and address of the last device selected in that slot. So so the Touch Pilot's 50 or System Pilot's 32 is the number of slots in the device list they have.

Both Pilots will access all CCN Devices. The System Pilot is primarily for the 3V system as Gen4 doesnt have access thru the stats like Gen3 did. The Touch Pilot is primarily for chillers to replace the older Chiller LIDS.

While both Pilots will do everything needed, they can be a pain. If you just need it for the service techs, it will probally work well. Sounds like you need an interface for your customer. It may be to their benefit to purchase a CCNWeb, I-Vu/CCN or CView for the needs.

Post Likes
    Balibe: I didn't realize the pilot could be powered by the rj-25 plug. Yes if you could give me the pin configuration I will forward it on to my guys. I don't use the pilot myself, except as a time clock. I have my laptop out most of the day anyways and can web into most system's I look after.
    Here ya go, keep in mind that some devices wont work like CID's & 3V Bypass's.

Post Likes
    I am a geenhorn straight out of HVAC school. I got hired on as facilities and part of my duties is HVAC.
    I have generator, electrical, plumbing, construction backgrounds.
    This facility I am working at is controlled by a carrier touch pilot. The problem is it appears that someone before me may have changed the default passwords and the generic ones of 3333 or 2222 only give you limited control.I was told the AC shuts off like clockwork, everyday towards end of business day, when they close. But lately they have been there past closing hours and it gets hot quick. I would like to "factory reset" so I can have access to the programming schedule, set point, temp etc. Those options are there but not accessible. I called carrier, local distributer, local tech support....but since this touch pilot may be around 10 years, no one is able to tell me anything. if I kill power, would that work or not? The company that installed it will gladly work on it for a fee. But that is what I got hired for. The software I found online cost close to $2,000. The new UI costs between 900-1700 depending where you search. That facility is over an hour away from my shop. Would like to go there early in the morning and mess with some more. This facility was built around 4 years ago. This touch pilot looks new,but it's older technology. I looked for a laptop in the comm room with no luck. Looked for the software and nothing.
    The internet only thing I found was a 10 page setup instructions. But again the default password does not grant me full access.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by techrookie View Post
    I am a geenhorn straight out of HVAC school. I got hired on as facilities and part of my duties is HVAC.
    I have generator, electrical, plumbing, construction backgrounds.
    This facility I am working at is controlled by a carrier touch pilot. The problem is it appears that someone before me may have changed the default passwords and the generic ones of 3333 or 2222 only give you limited control.I was told the AC shuts off like clockwork, everyday towards end of business day, when they close. But lately they have been there past closing hours and it gets hot quick. I would like to "factory reset" so I can have access to the programming schedule, set point, temp etc. Those options are there but not accessible. I called carrier, local distributer, local tech support....but since this touch pilot may be around 10 years, no one is able to tell me anything. if I kill power, would that work or not? The company that installed it will gladly work on it for a fee. But that is what I got hired for. The software I found online cost close to $2,000. The new UI costs between 900-1700 depending where you search. That facility is over an hour away from my shop. Would like to go there early in the morning and mess with some more. This facility was built around 4 years ago. This touch pilot looks new,but it's older technology. I looked for a laptop in the comm room with no luck. Looked for the software and nothing.
    The internet only thing I found was a 10 page setup instructions. But again the default password does not grant me full access.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated
    The only way you'll be able to "reset" the touch pilot will be with the proper service tool and software. Cycling the power will not reset any of the passwords on the pilot.

My best recommendation will be to have your company call out a local authorized carrier company, and I would ask to check with the service manager to verify they do have the software and tool.

To provide some temporary comfort till you can gain access to you system Pilot, if you push the little black button on the side it will give your clients an occupancy over ride. This timed over ride is set up from Carrier at 2 hours but depending on how, or who set it up can range from 1-6 hours.

Hope this helps!

-C

17. Likes techrookie liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Thanks for the reply. Are you referring to little black button next to the com port on left side of the zone sensor? same sensor where there is a bottom selector to switch to cool/heat? That helps a lot I will call them today and let them know of that push button.

Since I cannot put up links here is(just take out spaces in between) h t t p : //s3.supplyhouse.com/images/products/zoom/33zct55spt-4.jpg
    As for the software, I knew I would need. I will let my company know their options and see what they decide to do. Hopefully if they go with a carrier company, that they can reset to defaults and therefore, we can get access when needed and have a lock box in front of the panel installed.

Thank you.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by techrookie View Post
    Thanks for the reply. Are you referring to little black button next to the com port on left side of the zone sensor? same sensor where there is a bottom selector to switch to cool/heat? That helps a lot I will call them today and let them know of that push button.

Since I cannot put up links here is(just take out spaces in between) h t t p : //s3.supplyhouse.com/images/products/zoom/33zct55spt-4.jpg
    As for the software, I knew I would need. I will let my company know their options and see what they decide to do. Hopefully if they go with a carrier company, that they can reset to defaults and therefore, we can get access when needed and have a lock box in front of the panel installed.

Thank you.
    Yes the little black button on the left hand side near the com port is the over ride button. I apologize for not being clearer/ posting a picture of one.

As far as software goes, if your company decides to purchase the software and service tool/ if the local Carrier distributer allows it. PUSH PUSH PUSH for the factory training on it, as this system is very in depth and theres a lot files that you cannot access via just the palm pilot.

any questions let us know, and I'd recommend getting your post count up/ using this site for major reference and apply for a pro membership ( I recently applied).

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in