Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    I have two questions:
    1. What material is that for the coil box?
    2. Is that vent pipe actually as tight against the wall as it appears?

You can see the air intake is only 7" x 20" definitly not enough air intake, even if the coils were totally cleaned. needless to say, the moisture from the a coil has caused rust in the unit, and some parts to short.

As soon as the installation manager of that company sees that mess, he should get an installation crew out there to correct the problem.

That looks like a job trunkslammer charlie would put in!
    How tall are you Private???!!!!

seems the coil box is metal and the vent pipe is what was there from the original furnace, it;s a vent pipe inside of another protective pipe, at least thats what it looks like. Actual pictures on page 3

Have them check for damage to the HX from having the cold air from the A/C pulled over it.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Looks like pressed board for the coil box, maybe it is just me lol. The part of the vent pipe I was concerned with was where it comes out of the furnace and elbows up. That does not look like insulated vent pipe, and looks to be touching or very close to the wall.

checked the coil box with a magnet and it stuck so it is sheet metal, I think the people who lived here before smoked a lot, and yes thanks, if and when work is done will have them correct that problem also.

tech came and seen botched job, has to give to customer service for them to handle, says he cannot service the coil and it should be moved to bottom of the unit. we will see what thier customer service has to say about this, also he took pictures to show them.

Yikes

Definitely a hack job.

I hope every potential Four Seasons customer sees those pictures and judges their work accordingly.

Didn't even change out the AC for that price, or did they hook up a new condensing unit to the old coil?

Doesn't even look like a top of the line 80% furnace....

Did someone say hack job?

Looks like the filter may be unreachable if placed on top of the HX if the evap. coil is moved below (AKA correctly installed). Maybe the person doing the quote didn't take into account the total height of the system.

(Probably spent way to long doing a man. J so had to skimp somewhere timewise) Just kidding!

May be able to use grill filter(s) if necessary?

Quote Originally Posted by stubbbone View Post
    That is what I figured, I have someone from my work (a large hospital) who is certified in HVAC and his father runs a small company, he will be coming out to give me a price(to be done by him under the table). One other question I have is how does this affect the warantee?, if it was installed wrong and now the furnace has damage and the company is still there, (which they are and one of the largest residential hvac's on chicago's south side) and the exchange went bad, do you think trane would make them replace it? Or do you think I should let my friend from work take a look to see if there is damage and go from there?

I would look to have a pro fix your system, not someone on the side, who are you going to call when it still does not work properly
    Aire Serv of SW Connecticut- Gas heat, dual fuel and central a/c systems installed and serviced

Hmm

Quote Originally Posted by Daltex View Post
    Looks like the filter may be unreachable if placed on top of the HX if the evap. coil is moved below (AKA correctly installed). Maybe the person doing the quote didn't take into account the total height of the system.

(Probably spent way to long doing a man. J so had to skimp somewhere timewise) Just kidding!

May be able to use grill filter(s) if necessary?
    I am now waiting on customer service because he (the tech) had no way to service the unit due to the way it was installed, the a A coil is clogged, and the unit is limiting about once a day and has to be reset even with the unit being left completely open. He basically wrote this on the bill? I refused to pay the 80 dollar service call as this was thier fault all this happened. I wish I was a hvac expert, but as of now, thanks to you all, I know a lot more. Now I am waiting for thier customer service/installation dept. to make thier move. If this unit is damaged in anyway I believe the whole unit should be replaced, I might even consider paying a bit for the 6 years the unit worked (like if your tires go bad before they are supposed to). But I figure a new unit should last at least 20 years, the AC unit outside is uneffected, just the coil inside and the furnace. He told me that having the coil above the furnace was not unusal on an upflow furnace, and I told him that this was a downflow, as the cold air would cause condensation on the HX, he agreed the coil should be placed under the hx. What a mess, i got two newborn identical twins girls, a wife out on disability(now one income) and now this BS.

Not to add another thing to the list here put, After the first year of that coil collecting dust it started to plug up. Now you say it was iceing up a few times last cooling season. Well this has also been putting a toll on the compressor. How much of a toll is not easey to tell but it can cut the life span down alot.

I personaly think if there was a filter protecting the coil then just flip the coil to under the furnace and check the HX. Chances are the hx is fine but since this coil wasnt protected by a filter THEN YOU SHOULD BE LOOKING FOR A COMPLETE SYSTEM REPLACEMENT.' IMO

It is not your fault this company doesnt check on the crews and sends out UNQUALIFIED idiots.

you have my respect for being so calm because i would be freaking out on the owner or who ever is in charge

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast