Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Confused Bad installation question

I had a downward forced air trane xl80 installed 6 years ago, now this winter the hi-limit switch has been going off. When I open an area under the air filter to allow more air to flow, the unit stays on. For some reason the air conditioning coils were mounted above the air filter and not under the unit and cannot be cleaned at all. I think that these air conditioning coils are probably very dirty, but since it was installed the coils cannot be cleaned. The company that installed the furnace comes out once a year to clean the unit, but has never cleaned the air conditioning coils, and as one has said, who are the monkies that installled this. When I call the company I am getting no response. What are my options, in the chicago area? Page 3 has actual pictures.

Odds are, the coil needs to be removed, cleaned and reinstalled below the filter.

This means that the AC system needs to be opened up and recharged.

Sheet metal work will need to be done in order to move your filter.

There is as much work as doing the whole thing (furnace replacement)again.

There is a real possibility that damage may have occured to your not so old furnace from running hot and getting wet.

Your AC unit may not work this season if you do not clean the coil.

Even though the original install sounds crappy, h e l l will probably freeze before you get the original company to come out and repair their mistake- if they are still in business.

You would need to put some contact info in your profile for someone to get in touch with you.

Edit: looked at the attached diagram... not a good thing.
    Last edited by neophytes serendipity; 03-09-2008 at 07:44 AM.

The coil should be below a gas furnace on a downflow. Having it above can cause the heat exchanger to rust.

Quote Originally Posted by neophytes serendipity View Post
    Odds are, the coil needs to be removed, cleaned and reinstalled below the filter.

This means that the AC system needs to be opened up and recharged.

Sheet metal work will need to be done in order to move your filter.

There is almost as much work as doing the whole thing (furnace replacement)again.

There is a real possibility that damage may have occured to your not so old furnace from running hot.

Your AC unit may not work this season if you do not clean the coil.

Even though the original install sounds crappy, h e l l will probably freeze before you get the original company to come out and repair their mistake- if they are still in business.

You would need to put some contact info in your profile for someone to get in touch with you.
    That is what I figured, I have someone from my work (a large hospital) who is certified in HVAC and his father runs a small company, he will be coming out to give me a price(to be done by him under the table). One other question I have is how does this affect the warantee?, if it was installed wrong and now the furnace has damage and the company is still there, (which they are and one of the largest residential hvac's on chicago's south side) and the exchange went bad, do you think trane would make them replace it? Or do you think I should let my friend from work take a look to see if there is damage and go from there?

Honestly, what do you really think Trane will do about it? Especially if the original company is not returning your calls? The original company may respond after a call to the fraud line of a local news broadcaster.

Do you think Trane will do better for you given your planned course of action?

What make you think that the planned course of action will yield better results?

Just goes to show you that "premium" equipment can still be installed by hacks.

Edit: The real question here is who contracted the original installation, and was it the low bid?
    Another one for entertainment: Is the company unionized or not?
    Last edited by neophytes serendipity; 03-09-2008 at 08:01 AM.

I personally do not know what Trane would do or if the original installer is even a trane dealer. Most companies around here can buy from different brands from different suppliers depending on which supply house they go to. That being said, Trane should have a warranty on the heat exchanger and I do not know if they would be able to tell that the heat exchanger was installed on the wrong side of the coil or not. If not then warranty would still be intact. Not exactly ethical with regards to Trane. Bottom line is to get it fixed however necessary to prevent further damage.

Quote Originally Posted by coltsfanatic View Post
    I personally do not know what Trane would do or if the original installer is even a trane dealer. Most companies around here can buy from different brands from different suppliers depending on which supply house they go to. That being said, Trane should have a warranty on the heat exchanger and I do not know if they would be able to tell that the heat exchanger was installed on the wrong side of the coil or not. If not then warranty would still be intact. Not exactly ethical with regards to Trane. Bottom line is to get it fixed however necessary to prevent further damage.
    thats what I figured. I will try to get in contact once again with the company, Four Season's Heating and Cooling, in Chicago. Since this unit has been installed, the circuit boardf has gone out and the gas valve has gone bad (which the service guy did not charge me for and said it was from moisture damage from my flue, which the last unit was 35 years old without any rust on it) totalling some 500 dollars in repair bills. Wow seems I got taken to the cleaners by going with a big company.

The size of the company has nothing to do with the quality of their work.

Write a letter to the company.
    Address it to: Company owner/ general manager
    Care Of( company name)
    etc.

Rationally explain what your concerns are.
    Send a REAL picture with the letter.

At the top of the letter, include a statement like this:

I'm sending you this letter and picture of your installers work first, before proceeding with my lawyer.

It will get somebodies attention.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Twilli wonders if you could use pressure washer on coil?
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Just got off the phone with them, and they are now sending someone out today to take a look at the unit, I paid $4XXX.XX to have the AC and furnace installed with 2 new ducts put in, and you are right lets see what the tech says, then contact my lawyer if they do not want to work with me, I am willing to put out some money to have the unit replaced if it needs to come to that we will see and I will update the outcome. thanks for all you guy's input and time.

Quote Originally Posted by twilli3967 View Post
    Twilli wonders if you could use pressure washer on coil?
    if you used a pressure washer iwere would the dirt go but still the ac coil needs to be o the bottom of the unit not the top as moisture will ruin the unit, a pressure washer would soak the unit completely I have a picture diagram on how it was installed in my original post. But thanks for the input.

I would expect that he meant you would have to remove coil completely before pressure washing it lol.

Please remove the pricing.. forum rules...

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast