Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Arrow Heater in Small Attic.

I have a contractor ready to install a central heater (Goodman 45,000 size) in my attic. But he warned me that the inspector may say that there is not enough height in the attic for servicing. He asked me to sign that he is not responsible to provide the required service clearance.

1. How much room is needed to service a heater?

2. Is there a different heater type or brand that would be smaller?

why would he install it were he can not service it. inspections or not if he cant service it properly then he shouldnt put it there

asking you to sign off is BS what about his warrenty is that gone also

find a new contractor that will do the proper job and not look for excuses to walk away from his responsability

Exclamation Code intrepretation prior to installation!

Quote Originally Posted by heater99 View Post
    I have a contractor ready to install a central heater (Goodman 45,000 size) in my attic.

But he warned me that the inspector may say that there is not enough height in the attic for servicing.

He asked me to sign that he is not responsible to provide the required service clearance.

REASONABLE unit maintenance/ servicing access is
    required to be maintained by the contractor who has filed for a permit.

NEC code requirements:
    http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...2/ai_n14709495
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

I don't know what area specific codes there are where you are. Where we are it's like the wild west. If you can get it in, I guess it's good to go. We've put in some tight ones but I'm one of the guys who has to service them so all our units are servicable. But man, I've worked on some that I have not clue what the installers were thinking when they were installed. I need to get some photos I guess.
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!

If there isn't enough height in the attic to service it, why would you let kim put it there.

If it breaks, you would have to tear the whole thing out for it to be serviced.

How much height does he need to service it.
    There is nothing on the top in a horizontal application that needs serviced.

Call your local building department and find out what your code requirements are.
    Then get some more estimates. Something sounds fishy about this contractor.
    Or are you pushing the attic as the only place he's allowed to install it.

If I knew it wouldn't pass inspection, I wouldn't put it in.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

there should be 30 inches in front of furnace to remove blower and if it is air conditioning the needs to be enough clearance to service coil there should be a 24 inch wide catwalk from attic access to furnace and attic access should be large enough to remove largest piece of equipment that is what the inspector in my area look for

Quote Originally Posted by catmanacman View Post
    there should be 30 inches in front of furnace to remove blower and if it is air conditioning the needs to be enough clearance to service coil there should be a 24 inch wide catwalk from attic access to furnace and attic access should be large enough to remove largest piece of equipment that is what the inspector in my area look for

i only wish this could happen all the time
    i have serviced a lot of units in attics or crawls where i would like to find the installers and smack them for not thinking. But they are servicable just bearly

if it cant be serviced it shouldnt go there period

I have a contractor ready to install a central heater (Goodman 45,000 size) in my attic. But he warned me that the inspector may say that there is not enough height in the attic for servicing. He asked me to sign that he is not responsible to provide the required service clearance.

use some common sense

if a mechanic would even think about installing something that could not be serviced

well than that mechanic is simply

a hack

that being said, you need enough room to be able to pull the blower and evap coil out

yes there are smaller heaters!

An example for you:
    I went on a call to replace blower motor. Electric furnace was above a drop ceiling on the first floor of a 2-story house. There were what I would call steel joists approximately 2 feet apart. One of the joists was so close to the front of the furnace that not only would the door not come out to give you access you had to use a wrench to remove the screws holding on the door.

Solutions:
    1. Cut the supports from the center of the joist to gain access.
    2. Remove furnace completely to change blower.
    3. Cut the door on the furnace in half, being very careful to cut it where it would line up with the center support of furnace.

I chose option 3.

Moral: If it can not be serviced do not install it there.

17" heigth

He sais he can provide the required 30 x 30 service areia, the problem is the cilling heigth is 33" at the end close to the unit but only 17" heigh at the far side of the 30x30 platform. He claims that it is no problem. But He he warns that the minimum height is 30" for the entire service areia by code, and the inspector could make it an issue of it.

I am OK with it, I like the contractor, and I need the heat.

I want to know: Is an inspector likely to have an issue with it?
    I don't want to ask, or bring up the issue to the inspectors attention.

Unless there is no other place to put it- call the inspector and let him know your situation. If it's just a technicality and the unit can be serviced then they have variances for this. If he denies it then move it somewhere else or face a delima when you go to sell your house.

I don't want to ask, or bring up the issue to the inspectors attention.

Would rather have to pay your contractor to relocate it after the inspector fails it.
    We CAN"T tell you if the inspector will fail it or not, we're not the inspector that will see it.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Angry Forwarned about 14 times

But He he warns that the minimum height is 30" for the entire service areia by code, and the inspector could make it an issue of it.

I am OK with it, I like the contractor, and I need the heat.

I want to know: Is an inspector likely to have an issue with it? I don't want to ask, or bring up the issue to the inspectors attention.
    Yes.

So, if you do not want to discuss with the inspector,
    You can:
    1. pay Once to put the AHU in
    2. pay Twice to take the AHU out
    3. pay Triple to put the AHU in an acceptable location
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast