Maytag IQDrive compressor noise

Maytag IQDrive compressor noise

I had a Maytag IQDrive system installed June 2007, totally new system including a gas furnace. The compressor emits a very high frequency sound that carries quite far. It is easily heard in the house and is very annoying. I was hoping the unit would be much quieter.

Now that these units have been out there for a while I was wondering if any of the IQDrive techs out there could comment on this. Is this normal for these units or do I have something going on with the compressor and/or inverter board?

This system has also required many service visits to replace various components. Are they prone to repairs? Thanks.

[QUOTE=Ford350;1787299]I had a Maytag IQDrive system installed June 2007, totally new system including a gas furnace. The compressor emits a very high frequency sound that carries quite far. It is easily heard in the house and is very annoying. I was hoping the unit would be much quieter.

Now that these units have been out there for a while I was wondering if any of the IQDrive techs out there could comment on this. Is this normal for these units or do I have something going on with the compressor and/or inverter board?

This system has also required many service visits to replace various components. Are they prone to repairs? Thanks. no they should be very quiet and when you install one you better know what you are doing..you should not even hear that thing run. valerioac.com

great unit

you should hear no noise at compressor you have an installer problem for sure and your controler may need updated.

Yes, sounds like an install type issue. Could your unit possibly be oversized and running at the lower end of nominal? You need a qualified servce tech. trained for the IQ drive to look at it and have him contact Nordyne Technical service for assistamce if needed when he is in front of it . These panasonic compressors are very very quiet when properly sized and installed.
    Sound installation practices is the key to success. Equipment is only as good as the person installing it.

If I can't fix it, it ain't broke.

The unit they had set up when I took the training class for them had a high pitched 12khz+ noise coming from the outdoor fan motor. It bothered me, but most in the class didn't seem to notice it...
    The unit was a pre production unit assembled by a tech rep though, so duno if that is normal for production units.

I know one thing that did change after production is that they switched to a outdoor fan blade with a hub that is able to flex. They did that to solve a noise issue at lower speeds.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Nordyne Iq Drives

I Have A 3 Ton Frigidaire Iq Drive That Is Absolutely Quiet. The Condensing Unit Is Quiet At All Speeds From 900 To 3600 Rpm. There Is A Small Amount Of Noise From The Air Handler At High Speed, But Not Enough Unless Your Very Sensitive. There Have Been A Couple Of Updated Parts Available, But I Don't Believe Any Are Due To Noise Issues. I Would Express Your Concern To The Installing Contractor.
    I Would Assume Your Not His First Iq Drive Install, Ask For Other Iq Drive References For A Comparison. Good Luck

Ibis1

Quote Originally Posted by Ford350 View Post
    I had a Maytag IQDrive system installed June 2007, totally new system including a gas furnace. The compressor emits a very high frequency sound that carries quite far. It is easily heard in the house and is very annoying. I was hoping the unit would be much quieter.

This system has also required many service visits to replace various components. Are they prone to repairs? Thanks.
    You have had this issue since last July. Time to change direction.

http://www.hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=141277

Quote Originally Posted by TMH58 View Post
    Yes, sounds like an install type issue. Could your unit possibly be oversized and running at the lower end of nominal? You need a qualified servce tech. trained for the IQ drive to look at it and have him contact Nordyne Technical service for assistamce if needed when he is in front of it . These panasonic compressors are very very quiet when properly sized and installed.
    It's a 4 ton unit which is the size recommended by 3 different contractors. It makes the sound at all compressor speeds, even at the lowest. I'm having a hard time convincing the contractor this is a problem, hence my inquiries here. Thanks for your input.

Quote Originally Posted by mchild View Post
    You have had this issue since last July. Time to change direction.

http://www.hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=141277
    I hear what your saying, but back in July of 2007 there weren't many units like this one out there and no one was sure what was normal for these. I'm inquiring now as there should be more experience with them and I've been having a hard time convincing the contractor this is really a problem, they're telling me "they all do that". This is the only place I can get valid second opinions from people with direct experience with IQ systems before I really get insistent about adressing this. I may go directly to Maytag/Nordyne.

Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    The unit they had set up when I took the training class for them had a high pitched 12khz+ noise coming from the outdoor fan motor. It bothered me, but most in the class didn't seem to notice it...
    The unit was a pre production unit assembled by a tech rep though, so duno if that is normal for production units.

I know one thing that did change after production is that they switched to a outdoor fan blade with a hub that is able to flex. They did that to solve a noise issue at lower speeds.

I haven't measured the frequency of the sound, but it is in the upper range of hearing which would put it around 12Khz+. It sounds to be coming from the compressor itself but it's hard to pin down the exact source of high pitched sounds like this one. It is there at all compressor and fan speeds. Did they mention anything in the class about it?