cold air return placement

I am remodeling the entire 2nd floor of a house and need some advice on return vs. supply locations. The second floor will have its own furnace and central air...there are two large bedrooms (13 X 22) with cathedral ceilings and I would like to place three oval duct supplies in each room high on the wall and evenly spaced over the 22'. I would then like to utilize two empty joist spaces on that same wall on one side of the room (near the floor) for the returns...any possible issues with these placements?

Quote Originally Posted by estate4auction View Post
    I am remodeling the entire 2nd floor of a house and need some advice on return vs. supply locations. The second floor will have its own furnace and central air...there are two large bedrooms (13 X 22) with cathedral ceilings and I would like to place three oval duct supplies in each room high on the wall and evenly spaced over the 22'. I would then like to utilize two empty joist spaces on that same wall on one side of the room (near the floor) for the returns...any possible issues with these placements?
    We can't see the job. So its hard to give accurate input. I would say have a contractor come look at your situation. Get several quotes and ideas for those who can walk through the jobsite and see exactly what needs to be done.

However, a little bit of advice would be getting returns in all rooms except bathrooms. This will allow for better air distribution due to lack of static pressure building up.

Return air placement is less of an issue than proper sizing. HVAC is a system and needs to be designed for proper function. Oval supplies may be too restrictive depending on the airflow requirements. ACCA manual D and T will help you answer some of your questions.

watch your return locations on a second floor. i'd be more concerned about heat that will gather during the cooling season up high in the catherdral portion.