Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Line set challenge for Condo approval

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by caslon View Post
    Ok. You're telling me to call a roofer and have it done before I've even proposed my plan to my condo association. Please, get real.
    You idea has total merit, but little real help.

The idea of going thru that maintanence room, lol, gimme a break there also.
    "Hello, maintanence company of my condo, come and unlock that door."
    "You'd better be here on time." (all part of my proposal to the Association).

No guys...my best bet is to treat my upper deck as if it puddled up water at that corner, and I want a drain hole put in there. Then, present that well thought out plan to the Condo Association, have it approved as part I phase.

Phase II is a piece of cake. The AC company installs line thru a sealed approved "drain hole" cut into deck.

Funny how I have to ask and answer my own questions here.

Finding a GC who will do it and that I can present to the Association is another thing. It's not money in his pocket to do such a small job.
    I found one that is willing to talk to me about it.

But come on guys...going thru a maintaince room?

If this were my own property, I have the tools to do it. It's dealing with the damn Association. All your ideas would be valid then.

"I have this deck that puddles water in the corner." I want a 4" hole cut thru a non-slab deck".

Wish me luck lending a GC to my proposal to the Association that won't cost me $400+

Hehe, I just want a drain hole cut in my deck, and waterproofed. Maybe not $400.
    Hell, time is money for a GC, no matter if it's a drain hole cut in a 6" thick non slab deck.
    Actually, I thought the short paragraph I wrote up was pretty clear. I did not tell you to call the roofer and have it done right away, all I did was provide a link to a product that will solve your waterproofing problem.

The flashing gives the roofer something to waterproof, and unless you will have more than 4" of standing water there won't be any problems. Flashing the opening prevents water damage to the deck (concrete or wood), something your "drain hole" won't do.

In the Chicago area, there is no problem finding roofers or coring companies to do patchwork or a single cut. Both tasks will be over $400 by the time it is done, though. They charge by the hour, and there is usually a minimum of 4 hours.

No one will do that work for $50. Will you drive to a job, tie up about half of your day and not charge for it? Unless you do a job at your neighbors house and walk there, you will have a minimum of 2 hours total time invested including: drive time, set up time, actual work and then cleanup.

Odds are, you will not be able to go through the mechanical room due to fire code issues.

Your proposed job isn't that difficult. You may be a painter with 30 years experience, but you obviously don't know squat about a retrofit HVAC job and what it takes to do the job professionally.

Why not ask the association for a solution? I bet they have an approved roofer and carpenter contractor.

Post Likes
    So true.

My condo wasn't plumbed for AC like the rest of the units that were.

It's an upper story end unit. All upper floor plan. A big rectangle.
    Above my garage and anothers. It's quiet.

What's cool is that the Condo Association doesn't mind my using the
    space under my stairwell for the AC.

They turned down my proposal with concern about a hole thru a not slab deck.

They apparently are worried about the 4 inch cut hole thru the deck, rightfully so.

So forget going into the utility room. While feasible, who thought up that rediculous idea?

That's just dandy. How do I submit a proposal that includes unlocking a door to that utility room, lol

Which one of you thought up that idea?

I'm a 30 yr state licenced painting contractor, think before you talk.
    That would be me jackass. The real reason they turned you down is because the proposal you offered them probably looked like some weekend warrior home depot hack drew it up.(Oh wait, one did.) OF COURSE they aren't going to let you chop up they're property with some half ass crazy idea like the one you have. Cut a drain into the deck, seal it up, and stick a friggin lineset thru it, lmfao. I got news for you, most states won't allow it anyway. You came onto a forum loaded with pro's with cumulative centuries of experience, ask a question, get proper responses, then have the balls to criticize the results!

Take a walk.

The bob vila DIY hacker forum is calling you.

Post Likes
    Another vote for the mechanical room. It takes more time to drain the water heater than it takes to disconnect it. Going through the deck will look like a hack job.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by smokin68 View Post
    Stick to painting. If you're too scared about a condo HOA to submit a real proposal which includes unlocking a friggen door .
    Hahaha! What? Submit a proposal to a fairly cool condo association that requires them to unlock a door.

I'm thinking exactly how I word that... (approve my plans that includes having our maintainence company show up at the exact time the installers are here, 5 weeks from now).

Piece of cake, no hassles. Right, lol. "We'll be right over and unlock that door..." heh.
    This is a 212 unit complex, not 7 condos. Our maintanence company handles 2000 units and their main office is a modern 3 story office complex.

My idea is to just handle this as if I have a puddle on that area of the deck and get that "drain hole" approved.
    Son of ***** is...getting someone to do it (yellow pages). I have some feelers out.

A roofer/GC is my best bet, considering that just a roofer may not know jack about the support beams, where to cut. I don't mind if the hole has to be further away from the wall, the HOA won't fuss if let them know how I will cover it (cosmetically speaking). It's better than a big ugly compressor on a nice clean deck.

I have a very good AC company to install it.
    ASI Hastings Co. here in San Diego. The other AC companies who bid on this were buffoons.

Post Likes
    ...A roofer/GC is my best bet, considering that just a roofer may not know jack about the support beams, where to cut. I don't mind if the hole has to be further away from the wall, the HOA won't fuss if let them know how I will cover it (cosmetically speaking). It's better than a big ugly compressor on a nice clean deck.

I have a very good AC company to install it.
    ASI Hastings Co. here in San Diego. The other AC companies who bid on this were buffoons.
    I would bet that a roofer would know what is safe to cut, and what isn't.

Putting the condensing unit on the deck is no less ugly than the linesets and electrical service sticking up through the deck surface. It is also an easier solution.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by neophytes serendipity View Post
    I would bet that a roofer would know what is safe to cut, and what isn't.

Putting the condensing unit on the deck is no less ugly than the linesets and electrical service sticking up through the deck surface. It is also an easier solution.
    A butt ugly solution which should drop my condo sale price down some, when I sell.

Post Likes
    A butt ugly solution which should drop my condo sale price down some, when I sell.
    Both avenues are butt ugly.

That's what happens when you buy a condo without ac in the first place.

Placing the unit on the deck eliminates all of the "problems" you are creating with the hole in the deck thing. A heavy duty rubber roof mat under the unit eliminates leaks caused by vibration.

Not having AC will drop your price. Exposed linesets and a hole in the deck will drop your price. The current real estate fiasco created by greedy banks could drop your price a whole bunch. A collapsing dollar will lower your price. Pick your evil.

Someone buying your condo with AC will realize that the retrofit has limited options. If it is done nicely, impact will be negligible to nonexistent.

I didn't see any patio furniture on your deck.

At least if your unit is on your deck the chance of vandalism is lessened.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in